Another Subaru filter option - Premium Guard PG4615

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not much info on these filters so I thought I would throw this out there...

I have had great luck with the PG filters. I have cut several used and virgin filters open for inspection over the past few years and they have all looked great and had sturdy construction. For those that are heck bent on the 23 psi bypass setting, these are an excellent value. I just stocked back up at RA and bought 20 filters for $40 shipped and that included the stupid sales tax that they collect now.

Cheers!

Honestly haven't heard of this one before (unless maybe it showed up on the huge filter cut/post thread on subaruforester.org and I just missed it), thanks for the tip!
I figure 23 psi probably isn't a huge deal, but I buy filters in that range, anyway. It's not that hard to find them.

EDIT - they actually have the Wix 57055 on RA for under $4, but I'm not sure what shipping might cost for them.
Somebody on Amazon would be happy to charge you over $9 for the PG4615, but it has FREE SHIPPING, oh boy!

Last edited:
Are those made in Korea? Blue, Yellow, and Red box?

If so, I also concur they are well made and hold up well in service.

Im pretty sure i cut and posted a Premium Guard KIA/HYUNDAI OEM knock off a while back. Actually it was September 2017 as I googles searched my c&p
smile.gif

I might have to try those for the Subarus I maintain.

I found this on Amazon, if I didn't have so much Idemitsu oil to go through, this would be a good 3-5K filter.

https://www.amazon.com/ECOGARD-X4615-Engine-Filter-Conventional/dp/B00FA9L8S4/ref=sr_1_21?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1539383368&vehicle=2012-13-57-2123--16-6-6-13817-1043-1-1-2864--3-0&sr=1-21&ymm=2012%3Asubaru%3Aforester

Not bad, but considering this is likely no more than a 5K filter, when looking at cost to benefit, Fram Ultra XG3593A is still dead even; and when considering filtering efficiency, I'm sure the PGs do not match the XGs...

Nice deal you got though, $2 each delivered.

Originally Posted by SubieRubyRoo
Not bad, but considering this is likely no more than a 5K filter, when looking at cost to benefit, Fram Ultra XG3593A is still dead even; and when considering filtering efficiency, I'm sure the PGs do not match the XGs...

Nice deal you got though, $2 each delivered.

Fram doesn't offer the correct Subaru bypass in the OCOD/TG/Ultra lineup

The best part is that Subaru actually makes the OEM Subaru filters you get from the dealer, but they don't sell them under their own name in the orange cans
mad.gif
crazy2.gif

The only Subaru-spec wire-backed synthetic filter that can handle extended OCI usage is the WIx XP 57055XP (Napa Platinum 47055)

Correction:
It seems Fram now offers a PH9715, which is the shorty Subaru filter (crosses to Wix 57712), but they only offer the orange can, not the Ultra. Wix *does* offer a 57712XP in addition to the standard Wix.

Fram still doesn't offer a long Subaru filter (like the Wix 57055)

Slacktide, for warranty purposes I agree with the 7055 filter (or XP/Platinum) and 53' Stude cut one open that I sent him a couple months back. Nice looking construction.

Outside of warranty, or if you trust Magnuson-Moss to work in your favor, Fram has taken liability on itself by recommending filters like the 7317 for these apps with a lower BP pressure... and also, even though it is always talked about here, has anyone ever posted any proof that an XG will have the relief lifted? ZeeOSix and others with plenty of experienced have posted reference charts which show about the only way you could get one of these to bypass is to be 5k+ RPM, with a cold engine, and a heavy oil.

Outside of warranty purposes only, I have no concerns running an Ultra, even if I got a brand new Subaru.

I have been running the PG filters for 7500 and no problems. I'll post the next one for folks to see.

Here is a virgin one I cut open from another vehicle I have.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

I regards to Subaru psi concern, I see no mention of the HP17 "racing" filter. It comes up when searching for 18 Crosstrek and has 16-28 psi rating...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back