Fram Tough Guard TG3614 Cut and Post

I cut the TG3614 I took off the Mustang last night. Didn’t take a lot of pics because honestly not much to see here and we have a bunch of these on here already. It was pristine. Accidentally cut the date code but it was sometime in 23. Had more pleats than I expected, 46, and was chock full of oil in spite of my attempts to drain it. Had lots of nice open holes, not louvers. Was a 5k run of Valvoline EP 5w30. Same went back in with a Premium Guard Extended PG195EX.

Actually more interesting than the filter, the Valvoline came out reddish and had a smell that reminded me of the old Magnatec. Esters? 🤷‍♂️

@Zee09 first time using my new filter cutter, amazingly slick can’t believe I waited so long to get one.

IMG_0695.jpeg

IMG_0694.jpeg

IMG_0696.jpeg

IMG_0697.jpeg

IMG_0698.jpeg

I cut the TG3614 I took off the Mustang last night. Didn’t take a lot of pics because honestly not much to see here and we have a bunch of these on here already. It was pristine. Accidentally cut the date code but it was sometime in 23. Had more pleats than I expected, 46, and was chock full of oil in spite of my attempts to drain it. Had lots of nice open holes, not louvers. Was a 5k run of Valvoline EP 5w30. Same went back in with a Premium Guard Extended PG195EX.

Actually more interesting than the filter, the Valvoline came out reddish and had a smell that reminded me of the old Magnatec. Esters? 🤷‍♂️

@Zee09 first time using my new filter cutter, amazingly slick can’t believe I waited so long to get one.

View attachment 208612

View attachment 208613

View attachment 208614

View attachment 208615

View attachment 208616
Hi KC Jeep,
Thank you for the C&P . . . nicely done. Classic Tough Guard results, pleats and endcaps well intact and it looks like it could have kept going! I too like the Valvoline oils.

View attachment 208612

View attachment 208613

View attachment 208614

View attachment 208615

View attachment 208616

Great photos sir and great cut and post. I Thank You. 🇨🇦🇺🇸🍺👍

I'd reconsider if it had those new EG end caps. But this looks fine. But what would the rated 15k bring?
I rarely do an oil change anymore without changing the filter so not any real benefit on my end. I did run a TG3600 for 12k on my son’s Chrysler years ago and it looked fine. Biggest problem in my book in running filters long is not construction but capacity, which is about impossible to evaluate on a cut and post.

I rarely do an oil change anymore without changing the filter so not any real benefit on my end. I did run a TG3600 for 12k on my son’s Chrysler years ago and it looked fine. Biggest problem in my book in running filters long is not construction but capacity, which is about impossible to evaluate on a cut and post.
And my stuff is mostly new and early on I can get away with longer runs than most because the engines are really clean.

This seems like a false economy - saving a few bucks to not change a filter and hope it doesn't have an interior failure.
The new one you put on might have a failure. Then what? 😄 in that case, it would have been better to leave the old one on. ;)

View attachment 208612

View attachment 208613

View attachment 208614

View attachment 208615

View attachment 208616
Hi KCJeep,
A favor to ask. If you still have the media, could you take a try at separating the endcap from the media? I'm interested to know if the media tears way or if the media breaks away at the joint. I know this is unscientific but I'd like to get understanding of the bonding strength. Thank you!

I don't have it anymore, but I did handle it a fair bit and it seemed as stout and solid as all the other fiber endcap Frams I've cut in the past, which is quite a few. About as specific to your question as I can get I'm afraid.

Back