Another Fram Tough Guard Cut Open - TG3614

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's why people on this board cut open oil filters ... to take a look at both new and used filters to get a gauge/comparison between brands. It helps the members make their own decision of how good or bad a filter is. Obviously, some filters don't get very good praise from what is seen, like this particular FRAM.

Unfortunately, 99.9% of people buying oil filters never see the guts (either first hand or photos like here). All they see is the "pretty" outside, and the associated advertising. That's what sells most filters.

Does anybody want these filter pieces for any further analysis? Or does anybody want to see any other detail about the filter that I haven't shown? If not,it's time for me to toss em.

How about measuring the media area. Can do this by calculation if you measure the pleat depth, pleat length (end cap to end cap) and number of pleats.

Maybe a more simple way to do it would be to just cut the media out, stretch it out into a plane and measure length and width to get surface area? I'll be happy to do that and measure thickness of the media as well (I have a Starrett digital caliper) if you're interested.

Originally Posted By: k1rod
Maybe a more simple way to do it would be to just cut the media out, stretch it out into a plane and measure length and width to get surface area?

That works too, and is probably the most accurate way.

OK, I measured the surface area of the filtering media in this filter. I did it via the following: 1)Peeled off the end caps 2)Measured the height of the element(2.31") 3)Cut about 1/4" off the top and the bottom of the element. The top and bottom 1/4" were filled with glue so I had to cut this off so I could unroll the media and stretch it out into a plane. 4) Measure the length of the stretched out media. (52.25"). So the surface area of the midia in this filter is 52.25" X 2.31" = 120.7 square inches. There were 46 pleats. The media is 0.0285" thick.

Huh, pretty interesting. They got that down to a science. I woulda assumed the was a lot more hand made than they are. Looks 99% machine/robot built.

What the world! Where'd the flick go?

Last edited:
The last two Motorcraft (made by Purolator) filters I have cut open had uneven pleats as well...not just a FRAM production issue. And the merger between Fram and Champ Labs means nothing. Remember Champ Labs makes Amsoil, Mobil 1, and RP filters as well and other than price nobody complains about those. The media tears in the Purolator made filters has been attributed to the uneven pleats, but I have seen plenty of used Fram Extra and Tough Guard filters with some really ugly pleat spacing and no tears.

So while the uneven pleat spacing is ugly, I still see a serviceable filter and unless we start seeing consistent issues with Fram Extra and Tough Guard filters, figure they will work just fine.

Originally Posted By: k1rod
It is an optical illusion. That is actually glue not air gap. I saw that too in the photo and went back to look at the actual element to veriify. For some reason the lighting on the glue was different in that area.

Reminds me of the old joke.....

Are you going to believe me or your lying eyes???
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

Thanks for posting.

There's nothing tough about this Toughguard.

Compared to the similarly priced Wix/NAPA Gold, there is no comparison.

Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
A bumped thread from 2012..

Just a couple of days ago, you had no problem bringing up an older thread. So what's the difference? Fram/Rank doesn't need to pay any sponsorship to the site owners with posters like you.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/2679246/all/Quaker_State_QS3387A,_3k_miles

Wix is my first choice in filters... I also so far like the fram ultra but until it hits the 10,000 mile mark and i get that uoa and a chance to cut them open i can not say that for sure quite yet... But build quality looks good so far.. Im not 100% certain the flow is so great on the ultra either but they say it is so i can't be sure either way at this time.

The TG3600 would be a good upgrade to those not afraid of running non spec'd filters as well as a possible increase in media area.

Never did get a chance to run one of these are the Rubicon before she was traded in..
frown.gif

Originally Posted By: Kruse
Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
A bumped thread from 2012..

Just a couple of days ago, you had no problem bringing up an older thread. So what's the difference? Fram/Rank doesn't need to pay any sponsorship to the site owners with posters like you.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubb...3387A,_3k_miles

BINGO! Also, "a bumped thread from 2012."

Was going to point out the same thing. AND that link had just been posted 'in this thread' making the redundant thread revival completely unnecessary. But remuneration does things to some I suppose.

Good catch.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back