Another Salvage Auction thread- this time a clean titled (repo) 2004 Lincoln Navigator

No-they are. But you are right that they have seen massive price increases.......
Nothing is significantly different. A little more MPG. Some more transmission gears is an advantage. Most of the tech stuff can be added in as desired. Body on frame V8 american SUVs with leather seats. You can affordably rebuild the seat with new materials. I’ve been really happy with my new to me 112k mile 05 escalade and there is nothing a 2022 Escalade could do for me that would justify a 12x multiple or more in cost. I can work on my own stuff and don’t put enough miles on that the MPG would matter. The new stuff only has the advantage of being new. I doubt they will run as well in 15 years as the GMT 800s do now or the ‘not 3 valve’ Fords. I can’t imagine any new domestic SUV even driving twice as good, making the new ones a bad value. A total luxury spend.

In some ways the older model is better for my needs. Its less gigantic. An 05 escalade short wheel base is maneuverable. The new ones are bigger in all dimensions. Fully depreciated but still nice is awesome.

Let me add to my post last night:

The Rivian SUV, when its widely availiable at least, offers TONS of advantages in this SUV space. It would be worth the big bucks.

Pickup Trucks, specifically the heavy half ton style and the HD trucks, they offer TONS more towing than like GMT 800 trucks. If your going for a family tow vehicle you get a lot more in a new truck. My old escalade is rated for 8100lbs towing, the new ones are rated for about the same or less. Low enough ratings that you won't want to tow a lot with it or often.

A new mini van or a new Telluride (if you ordered at MSRP.) is a more reasonable $40-50kish and that may be worth it over a used model. The jump from a 4 digit price Escalade to a 6 digit price new one is insane.

Let me add to my post last night:

The Rivian SUV, when its widely availiable at least, offers TONS of advantages in this SUV space. It would be worth the big bucks.

Pickup Trucks, specifically the heavy half ton style and the HD trucks, they offer TONS more towing than like GMT 800 trucks. If your going for a family tow vehicle you get a lot more in a new truck. My old escalade is rated for 8100lbs towing, the new ones are rated for about the same or less. Low enough ratings that you won't want to tow a lot with it or often.

A new mini van or a new Telluride (if you ordered at MSRP.) is a more reasonable $40-50kish and that may be worth it over a used model. The jump from a 4 digit price Escalade to a 6 digit price new one is insane.
The payload on half-tons still have a tendency to be around 1,500 pounds. While manufacturers tout 10,000 to 12,000 towing capacities, the reality in most situations is half that due to payload. I would agree after reading the Motor Trend article on a 5,000 miles-mostly off -road trip with several Rivians they are a nice truck/SUV. I would be curious what the yellow and white sticker in door jam says about payload on your Escalade.

1297 lbs on mine. It has optional 20" wheels. So if you put 500lbs of people and gear in you might only have 800lbs for tongue weight making that 8100 rating a bit lofty. but towing 5k with 8.1k rating would be good.

Attachments

• IMG_4347.jpg
    IMG_4347.jpg
    124.6 KB · Views: 5
Yesterday I went to try and install the heated and cooled seats I purchased at a pick n pull.

I was expecting I was going to have to run wires to the seat from at least the heat/ cool console factory control switches I had to install. I was wrong, the harness for the control switches is all one piece right at the console. Took about five minutes to swap the harness. I was shocked and super happy.

The cool on the driver seat work. The heat shows it is working, but I feel no heat. I will install the front passenger seat. If no heat, then I have a new issue. If the passenger seat heats up, then I will purchase a new heat pad.

Heated seats are an option I have really come to enjoy on a car.

PXL_20220203_222711698.jpg
PXL_20220203_222732196.jpg
PXL_20220203_222853830.jpg

Earlier this week the two front Arnott air shocks arrived. These front shocks are scheduled to be installed late this afternoon.

Went to a pic a part earlier this week with four 2003/2004 Navigators in the yard. A remote pic a part and the vehicles had not been trashed. All four of these Navigators had air shock to coil conversions. The more I see the more I worry about this Navigator air shock system and its costs/ reliability. For a 2003/2004 RWD Navigator, there is not a single OEM shock available in the entire USA. The left and right rear shocks (not the air springs are different). SO one can get replacement air springs, but not the actual shock that rides inside the air spring.

The part number for the rear driver shock is AU2Z18125D (ASH23446). The rear passenger side is AU2Z18125A (ASH23438). I did find one of these on Ebay, but both are needed to make this work.

Had a little luck late yesterday. On Ebay, a Seller listed two Cardone rear Navigator complete air strut assemblies. I have zero confidence in these assemblies, but not many options. This Seller was 100 miles from me. RockAuto sells these assemblies for $410 each The Seller had them listed at $275 each. I reached out to him, offered $300 for both, and I would pay in cash and pickup in two hours. He accepted the offer.

If the Cardones somehow work (I have low expectations) I will continually search for rear OEM shocks (no aftermarket have been found). I do have a pair of OEM air springs, so I can always use new air springs with 17 year old rear shocks, but strongly prefer to have new shocks with the new air springs.

If I was not planning on using this Navigator to tow, I would be all over the coil conversion kits. Inexpensive and easy to install. At this point, I will likely purchase coil conversions as a emergency backup.
What is so bloody special about these shocks? They're (presumably) gas-charged monotubes, probably made by a major vendor (possibly Bilstein or Gabriel) for Ford. They can't be THAT special!

Last edited:
What is so bloody special about these shocks? They're (presumably) gas-charged monotubes, probably made by a major vendor (possibly Bilstein or Gabriel) for Ford. They can't be THAT special!
Not sure. It looks like the rear shocks were custom made for 2003/2004, and the left and right are different. Not pretty.

Quick update.

I received notice late last week of a transfer to the Tacoma area, this April. So I put the interior back together. I did upgrade the front seats to the heat/ cool model, but they need new skins. I cleaned the carpet, but still not clean as I would like. I purchased a replacement carpet, but am not going to clean and install the replacement carpet at this time. I will do this when I replace the front seat skins.

The major interior issue that I discovered a few weeks ago, is the driver side blend door actuator failed. Ony heat coming blowing to the driver side. It takes about 30 hours to replace the driver side actuator. Not kidding. I went to a pick a part, and pulled apart a like Navigator dash with a sazaals looking for a fix. I did, and will do a separate writeup on it, as nobody on the internet has found this fix as far as I know. I would consider junking this if I had to take 30 hours to replace this $50 part. I think less of Ford after seeing this. I am now a huge proponent of ANNUAL COOLANT replacement on 2nd generation Expeditions and Navigators. Replacing the heater core appears to be about 30 hours also, and a hard 30 hours. Flushing the core annually MAY be a way to reduce risk.

Finally, very disappointed to find the interior materials on the Navigator scratch easy. My F350s of the same age have much more durable interior parts.

I have a misfire on cylinder six, and a fuel trim problem on bank 1. I replaced the spark plug and coil on cylinder six, but problem still exits. Replacing the fuel injector is a major pain...... Purchased a smoke machine to try and find a vacuum hose leak to address the fuel trim issue.

PXL_20220223_221537593.jpg
PXL_20220223_221542665.jpg
PXL_20220223_221550437.jpg
PXL_20220223_221556635.jpg
PXL_20220223_221601719.jpg
PXL_20220223_222100124.jpg

Thought to give a one year update.

The Navigator is doing overall better. I selected to drive the Navigator over the past ten day, instead of my S class. I find the Navigator super well balanced, front end/ suspension as well as a new frame on SUV, very comfortable sitting position, with great views of the road. It is dark and rainy season here in Seattle, the Navigator with its Michelin Defenders handles with great confidence. The SUV starts up and runs* like a clock.

Earlier this week I ordered the parts to replace the egr gasket, which I believe is causing a vacuum leak after a smoke test. A full day to replace that gasket, the intake plenum has to come off. Have a steady power steering leak, I think it is a missing $1 Teflon ring (missing) on the high-pressure power steering hose. Likely not to hard to replace. And the SUV has a oil leak. The truck has lost under one quart over the last six months and four thousand miles, but I will be searching for the leak sometime soon.

No more interior water leaks. Between cleaning out the sunroof drains, and replacing the windshield, the interior is bone dry. The 24x7 rain in Seattle this week was a great test. The sunroof broke. I managed to get it closed, and am not sure if I want to fix it or not, a plastic part on the inside of the rail appears to have failed.

The SUV is outstanding. Only thing I don't like is the condition of the front seats. I have looked at hundreds of Navigator seats and have come to the conclusion that Ford uses cheap leather for the Navigator seats, along with cheap foam. I also wish it had the AWD, when I purchased it I lived in South Carolina, and didn't foresee this SUV being located in the Pacific Northwest.

Overall, great SUV. I think the air suspension and the independent rear makes this SUV drive so nice, and Ford's design of the front end/ steering is well above any of its contemporaries for a 18-year-old vehicle. Of course, I have about 7-8k more into this SUV than I would like to have, but it sure is a very nice, comfortable, confident, and reliable vehicle. I would drive it anywhere, towing a trailer- with full confidence.

If you end up doing the heater core, see if its worthwhile to put a ground strap on it. A gent I know had a mercury cougar that went through several heater cores and lots of labor, to only resolve it with a ground strap. Electrolysis eats the cores in some fords. He was even able to measure it with a multimeter, I forget exacty how.

Won at auction earlier today a clean titled 2004 2WD Lincoln Navigator, 141k miles. Two owners, was repossession reference a vehicle title loan (Titlemax).

The Navigator just arrived at IAAI a few days ago. Not much time for people to find it, that at least is my guess. Paid $1650, with fees $2100. Only one other bidder, a Buyer from Fort Mills, SC. Reserve was $900. If it wasn't for him and me bidding against each other, this might have sold in the range of $300-$700 (before fees). This Navigator was local to me, but since it hit the auction as a late entry I could not inspect. Pictures indicated air shock issues. I was willing to bid up to $2300 before fees. Being located locally is a big cost savings, I liked the history report, and being in South Carolina its entire life meant a possibility no rust.

Picked up the Navigator one hour after the auction ended. I sensed the Navigator ran, so I drove my car instead of bringing out the truck and auto hauler. Sure enough, she started. Drove her home about 25 miles. Not so much fun with no shocks. Tires are worn so I was not worried about no shocks so much. The interior is clean for its age, much less wear and tear than typical, seats were pretty good for 17 year old leather. Nice to have the third row seating for when the grandkids come. Car seemed very comfortable less the shocks.

The exterior looks great. No issues anywhere from a hasty inspection. Underneath is very clean, does not seem to have ever been in snow or salt. Still has the original Michelin spare tire which is a real positive sign. Has a trailer hitch with a factory seven pin and four pin. Looks like the hitch has never been used.

Need to research the air shock system. All four shocks are completely empty, so suggesting a failed air compressor, and shock air compressors usually go bad from being run to much. So I need to identify what caused the compressor to fail.

View attachment 81157View attachment 81158View attachment 81159View attachment 81160View attachment 81161View attachment 81162View attachment 81163View attachment 81164View attachment 81165View attachment 81166
Nice. Wonder if you could go to springs instead of air bags. Maybe cheaper and more reliable.

. Only thing I don't like is the condition of the front seats. I have looked at hundreds of Navigator seats and have come to the conclusion that Ford uses cheap leather for the Navigator seats
About the same as mine after 12 years. The condition of the leather is not that good, although the seats are still comfortable. The cooling and heating works, but living in central Texas we use mainly the cooling function on the seats..

I would rather have the 5.4 4V that yours has. A timing job is a requirement after about 150-180K on the 5.4 3V. I'm at 150K now and if you power brake it at the drive through it clacks the phasers quite a bit. Thicker oil helps to smooth it out quite a bit. 10w30 Pro DS is my go-to.

Reactions: GON
The Navigator has a power steering fluid leak and a oil leak. The oil leak was less than one quart of oil per six months/ 4k miles, but still not something I want to live with. The power steering leak was more noticeable. Over the past ten days I replaced the power steering high pressure hose, oil pan. While in there replaced the lower radiator hose, coolant reservior, upper radiaor hose, and a hand full of other items. I even washed the inside of the crossmember.

I am waiting for the hose from the power steering reservoir to the pump. I think the hose may have a very slow leak at the bottom. The hose was order ten days ago from rockauto, but is not expected in for a few more days. I can't stand a discolored coolant reservoir, so I replaced it, as I have never seen a dirty one cleanable.

Finally, the lower radiator hose is discontinued from Ford. This is a issue as it is not so easy to "make" a replacement. I found a OEM hose on Ebay, which I installed, from a Seller of old stock. Two manufacturers still make this hose aftermarket, but nonetheless this is a concern for long term ownership. Of course, the hose I just removed is 19 years old, and seemed weakened, but still full functional. This hose aftermarket on rockauto is about $250... ouch. I paid $175 for new "old stock" OEM on Ebay.

PXL_20230122_230530117.jpg
PXL_20230121_195556980 (1).jpg
PXL_20230122_232429711.jpg
PXL_20230122_231615280.jpg

Completely OT, but didn't these have filters on the climate controlled seats?
I can't remember if it was on this generation, or the later ones
It came up in the service schedule for my Villager, no idea why I remember it from there 🤷‍♂️

Completely OT, but didn't these have filters on the climate controlled seats?
I can't remember if it was on this generation, or the later ones
It came up in the service schedule for my Villager, no idea why I remember it from there 🤷‍♂️
I don't believe the 2003-2006 Navigator cooled seats have air filters. I will say the Navigator cooled seats cool better than their Mercedes counterpart seats.

Fixed the water in the interior yesterday. Clogged front sunroof drains. This vehicle was essentially a flood vehicle, sold as a repo vehicle... ugghhh.

I was able to clean the passenger front sunroof drain with aluminum welding rods from Harbor Freight. $9.99 (see picture) , I recommend these rods for this job and likely others. The driver's side I was unable to clean using the rod method. We have had lots of rain lately and that may have made the driver front drain to waterlogged to allow the rod to push fully through.

I pulled the bottom of the sunroof drain tube from the interior near the driver side firewall. Stuck the aluminum rod in it and plup... out came a three inch tube of muddy muck (see picture). Ran a full bottle of water through the top driver sunroof drain and all that came out was some dirt residue.

For people that park outside I thinking cleaning sunroof drains might be a good semi-annual preventative maintenance project.

View attachment 82910View attachment 82909View attachment 82908View attachment 82907
I was going to say that it looked like a flood car with mold on the seats.

Finally, the lower radiator hose is discontinued from Ford. This is a issue as it is not so easy to "make" a replacement. I found a OEM hose on Ebay, which I installed, from a Seller of old stock. Two manufacturers still make this hose aftermarket, but nonetheless this is a concern for long term ownership. Of course, the hose I just removed is 19 years old, and seemed weakened, but still full functional. This hose aftermarket on rockauto is about $250... ouch. I paid $175 for new "old stock" OEM on Ebay.
The downside of hoses “lasting forever” I guess. No incentive for parts stores to carry replacements I guess. Still. Ouch!

Reactions: GON
Unusually cold and sunny day in Seattle this morning. The sunny is what is unusual. Decided to run the Navigator through an automatic car wash. Not a bad looking for a 19-year-old SUV, that I have yet to do a much-needed exterior detail. If I ever get the exterior detailed, I think it will look pretty fair.

Note a wash in Seattle usually last 24 or less hours.
PXL_20230129_193917174.jpg

Back