Another Salvage Auction thread- this time a clean titled (repo) 2004 Lincoln Navigator

Front air, rear coils, nice ride but less cargo capacity
Ford's design is to drop the suspension when the SUV is turned off, so the step up or down is reduced from a coil suspension. I don't care for the dropping of the suspension every time the SUV is turned off, but I understand the feature and the reason Ford designed this feature. I would turn off this feature if I could. I am very, very happy to have air shocks over coils, especially when towing and the rear shocks auto adjust to the load on the tongue.

Read through the entire build nice work! I really like The navigators of this vintage I'm sure it is a nice ride 🍻
PM, thanks- that is the really nice part of this- it really is a nice ride. I drove the SUV to work this morning, super comfortable, super tight. If one can find a super clean 2003/2004, a really nice SUV for much less than just the sales tax on a new full size SUV. I sense the lifespan on this SUV, because it has zero rust, extensive maintenance performed, and a rock-solid engine and transmission, to be many, many years.

I plan on holding onto this SUV for a long time, as it has the factory tow package, and I do tow trailers cross country. Can't imagine dropping 70k-110k on a new full size SUV, which doesn't perform much better than this SUV except in the "tech features", and newer seats. I may try and install seats from a late model navigator in this sometime down the road.

The navigator has had both a power steering fluid leak and a oil leak. The power steering leak was larger than the motor oil leak, although the picture does not clearly reflect that. I have a picture below of the SUV sitting for a few weeks and showing the leaks. I replaced some power steering hoses and appear to have stopped the power steering fluid leak (see clean drop cloth on second pic). I also replaced the oil pan and oil pan gasket, but am still having an oil leak. I think I may have to redo the oil pan gasket, it took longer to install than I wanted, and the four pea sized required RTV material may have hardened before I secured the oil pan to the block.

ps mo.jpg
PXL_20230202_153621127 (1).jpg
PXL_20230202_153738164 (1).jpg

Struck out a Arizona pull a part today. I was simply looking for a alternator bracket. If also available I would have taken the positive battery cable, and transmission inspection cover. None of these three items I suspect are hot items. The hot item for this Navigator is the 32V Intech engine, and the auto transmission shifter.

Well, the Navigator still had the engine, and the SUV was pretty much intact. The three items pulled, the alternator with its bracket, the positive battery cable, and the transmission inspection cover.

Not going to cry, these are wants. Juts a fluke the engine and trans still in place, but the three piddly items are wanted were gone. I didn't have any tools with me, so I was going to have to borrow or buy tools.

On a side note, I am starting to use the Navigator as my daily driver. My commute is short, so no worry about fuel cost. The Navigator is just super tight in its suspension/ steering, very comfortable- overall just a real enjoyable ride.

Picture is from the pull a part donor vehicle showing the missing alternator. I went under the SUV, the engine showed no signs of oil leaks. Rust free undercarriage. Interior also looked pretty clean, the seats were pulled, which mean they were in nice condition. If I was local, I would go pull this engine, I speculate it is low mileage and runs well.

alternator.jpg

Last edited:
Finally picked up the alternator bracket, and the transmission inspection plate. Also picked up a door gasket. Not pictured, I also pulled some vacuum hoses. $24 at a pull a part.

Funny, near impossible to find a 2003/2004 navigator at a pull a part in the Seattle area. I worked in the southeast USA last week, and every town I checked had at least one 2003/2004 navigator in the yard. Might demonstrate how vehicle selection is regional on a macro basis.
PXL_20230423_145946161.jpg

Back