Another Salvage Auction thread- this time a clean titled (repo) 2004 Lincoln Navigator

GON

$100 Site Donor 2024
Won at auction earlier today a clean titled 2004 2WD Lincoln Navigator, 141k miles. Two owners, was repossession reference a vehicle title loan (Titlemax).

The Navigator just arrived at IAAI a few days ago. Not much time for people to find it, that at least is my guess. Paid $1650, with fees $2100. Only one other bidder, a Buyer from Fort Mills, SC. Reserve was $900. If it wasn't for him and me bidding against each other, this might have sold in the range of $300-$700 (before fees). This Navigator was local to me, but since it hit the auction as a late entry I could not inspect. Pictures indicated air shock issues. I was willing to bid up to $2300 before fees. Being located locally is a big cost savings, I liked the history report, and being in South Carolina its entire life meant a possibility no rust.

Picked up the Navigator one hour after the auction ended. I sensed the Navigator ran, so I drove my car instead of bringing out the truck and auto hauler. Sure enough, she started. Drove her home about 25 miles. Not so much fun with no shocks. Tires are worn so I was not worried about no shocks so much. The interior is clean for its age, much less wear and tear than typical, seats were pretty good for 17 year old leather. Nice to have the third row seating for when the grandkids come. Car seemed very comfortable less the shocks.

The exterior looks great. No issues anywhere from a hasty inspection. Underneath is very clean, does not seem to have ever been in snow or salt. Still has the original Michelin spare tire which is a real positive sign. Has a trailer hitch with a factory seven pin and four pin. Looks like the hitch has never been used.

Need to research the air shock system. All four shocks are completely empty, so suggesting a failed air compressor, and shock air compressors usually go bad from being run to much. So I need to identify what caused the compressor to fail.

PXL_20211215_172355036.jpg
PXL_20211215_172342711.jpg
PXL_20211215_172357698.jpg
PXL_20211215_185328264.jpg
PXL_20211215_184505947.jpg
PXL_20211215_172349380.jpg
PXL_20211215_172327386.jpg
PXL_20211215_185306574.jpg
PXL_20211215_172318380.jpg
PXL_20211215_172309083.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice looking ride. I helped a friend put a set of shocks like these in his navigator several years ago and he has been happy with them. If it was me I'd just eliminate the air system all together.

Nice, I guess it depends on whether you want to maintain the air ride system or switch over to steel springs? Air suspension is nice, when it works reliably.

We had a 2003 Navigator and enjoyed it very much. The air suspension is what gives that vehicle such a nice ride. I really liked that it kept the vehicle level when towing a trailer.

Reactions: GON
Nice, I guess it depends on whether you want to maintain the air ride system or switch over to steel springs? Air suspension is nice, when it works reliably.
My dad had a 2002 Olds Bravada, and the air suspension was nice but as it aged it was not so nice, when it was cold out he was having to manually fill the system every morning, when the transmission finally blew that was the end of it, wasn't worth dumping anymore money into.

Convert it to coils, get after that engine bay with some Simple Green and a pressure washer, deep clean the leather, wash it, and flippedy flip flip flip. 17 years of by-the-book maintenance, which is what I suspect it got at maximum, may yield some issues sooner than later. Clearly the financial priorities did not include repair or maintenance if they were willing to drive around scraping the belly on train tracks. That's the scary part of repos....what did they 'defer', and for how long?

Good find overall, but it could look better if the owner had cared a little more. Lots of cleaning and conditioning, along with some new coils and shocks (ditch the air) could make it a diamond if its not suffering mechanically.

I've always liked those. They have the 3V 5.4L like the F-150s and Lincoln owners tended to skip oil changes even more than F-150 owners. We used to see a ton of them coming in sounding super crunchy from the phasers begging for oil pressure.
This model actually has the 2V 5.4L. The last year of the 2V 5.4L in the Navigator/ Expedition. The benefits of the 2004 2V is Ford fixed the spark plug shooting out of the block issue, and the 2v does not have the roller issues or the two piece spark plug issues.

The 2005 with the 3v gets more HP, more torque, and a five speed automatic. Guess its a tradeoff.

One thing, the spark plugs on this Navigator looks brutal to change. The plugs in my 2v 6.8L V10 F350 were easy to replace. These look very tough.

Nice rig. Just need to slam it down to the ground, oh wait, already done! Air suspension broken i assume?

This model actually has the 2V 5.4L. The last year of the 2V 5.4L in the Navigator/ Expedition. The benefits of the 2004 2V is Ford fixed the spark plug shooting out of the block issue, and the 2v does not have the roller issues or the two piece spark plug issues.

The 2005 with the 3v gets more HP, more torque, and a five speed automatic. Guess its a tradeoff.

One thing, the spark plugs on this Navigator looks brutal to change. The plugs in my 2v 6.8L V10 F350 were easy to replace. These look very tough.
You are right it is not a 3V, but it should be a 4V actually. They don't list a 2V in the parts catalog for a 2004. 4V is even better as far as changing plugs, they are super easy.

The Navi has the 4V 5.4, plugs are not too bad to change. It has expensive taste for fuel... premium is required. Ours had an issue with torque converter shudder that was cured with a fluid exchange.

I also recall that there was a TSB for the rear axle. They left the factory with 75w-90 and had 75w-140 back spec'd.

Pretty clean car! Only issue I can see with the interior, is the previous owner never conditioned the leather seats.

For the money, the bones look good

Should clean up and be a real plush ride

I remember the Lincoln commercials of this era, they seemed so classy and sophisticated to childhood me

Same with the LS or Town Car Ultimate of the era

"There are those who travel, and those who travel well"

With time and BHPH lots, that lustre faded by about the recession

That up to '07 shape was the best looking Expedition they ever made IMO, it even holds up to the new ones

Who remembers the older black Navi in Are we there yet? With Ice Cube :ROFLMAO:

Keep us posted with the progress on that air suspension

FORScan will be your friend, especially on that era Ford

2wd and the clean underneath are real good points, you didn't mention any check engine light and drove it for 25 miles, at that I'd say it's a interesting buy. Your tire tread looked good on that one shown, and the seats seem to have even wear.

My 2005 4Runner came out of New Mexico and from the mostly service work I've done on it I've really enjoyed not dealing with the rusty fasteners, though 1 of the 4 piston front calipers did stick so I opted to replace them both, and it gets parked for the winter, likely would have never got a solid vehicle at my budget had I not got there first, and I think this one could last forever for me.

I'm usually into preventive maintenance but the Kia has opened my eyes to just do the service work needed and any other obvious short coming, but don't dig in to far financially speaking, until your confident everything checks out. Thanks for the post, I'd easily have a dozen cars if I had room.

Back