Another Reason to Avoid Long OCI.

I respect a lot of what you post and see you as a leader here.

with that said: you first posted a 7-8k interval, then posted about a hypothetical 450HP car, then said the interval for the car in the OP was running 10k intervals.

Let‘s try to clear some things up:

Make and Model:

miles:

interval (miles AND time):

actual commute.

something is not adding up here. It might help to have all of the info that should have been in the OP somewhere...in one spot.

Edit: note: I was typing this while you posted your last two posts.

I've changed PCV valves in engines where the oil was changed religiously every 3 months or 3k miles that looked worse than that. One of which was on my mother-in-law's Buick. I regularly go 15-25k miles in my Tahoe and the PCV (and under the valve covers) is nice and clean.

The MIL's Buick is short-tripped (1.75 mile commute). The Tahoe rarely sees short trips as we live 20+ minutes out of town.
What do these 2 have in common with this engine or are all engines the same in your mind?

I forgot to say: this is a contentious topic, but it’s good to see a healthy back and forth so far. It took a little while for the long-drain dudes to come out, but we are here.

The main take-away, for me: every engine and commute is different. It also seems to me that the car in the OP had a design Flaw.

@Trav what do you have to say about extended intervals backed up by UOA?

I respect a lot of what you post and see you as a leader here.

with that said: you first posted a 7-8k interval, then posted about a hypothetical 450HP car, then said the interval for the car in the OP was running 10k intervals.

Let‘s try to clear some things up:

Make and Model:

miles:

interval (miles AND time):

actual commute.

something is not adding up here. It might help to have all of the info that should have been in the OP somewhere...in one spot.

Edit: note: I was typing this while you posted your last two posts.
I was told it was serviced regularly at 7-8K but looking at the stickers on the door jamb it was more like 10K.

I forgot to say: this is a contentious topic, but it’s good to see a healthy back and forth so far. It took a little while for the long-drain dudes to come out, but we are here.

The main take-away, for me: every engine and commute is different. It also seems to me that the car in the OP had a design Flaw.

I don't know if a UOA will indicate the presence of varnish or deposits that are not in the oil, maybe Mola can answer that and if so what would it be.

This is without a doubt one of the worst PCV systems ever devised, there are a few others but all this disassembly just to R/R is ridiculous.

This is without a doubt one of the worst PCV systems ever devised, there are a few others but all this disassembly just to R/R is ridiculous.
Isn't Volvo's PCV system some what similar in complexity and short lived life? If it is it must be a Swedish automotive engineering trait ;).

Trav you opened the good ol can of worms. But I 100% agree with you. Many of the folks here want to run x0000 oil change intervals, so be it, let them bury their heads in the sand. I have a turbo DI car it gets the oil changed at 4K miles. Some may say I'm over doing it, I s should run 10 K oil changes etc. In the end I bought MY car. I can change the oil on MY maintenence schedule, none of you extended 10000000 mile interval jokers are going to pay for the repairs on MY car. Plus turbo engines coupled with DI puts tremendous stresses on oil especially here in Texas with the heat. Trav is simply showing what the repercussions of an action/s by the vehicle owner and making recommendations. Kinda like a Dr. recommending a change in diet if you have high blood pressure or are overweight.

Last edited:
Wow! Yes, I agree it's not worth going on long OCI's if everything else in the engine is sacrificed. I believe in changing way before the OLM system tells me to. I like to go about 50% if it takes a year to get there. Thanks for sharing the info.

Isn't Volvo's PCV system some what similar in complexity and short lived life? If it is it must be a Swedish automotive engineering trait ;).
I am not familiar with the Volvo systems but I understand they are quite complex and can cause a lot of seal damage among other things if neglected. Astro would know more about these.

Huh. 2 mile commute. 10k OCI.
Lets say 5k miles per year, that is 13.7 miles per day and would be a two-year OCI.

I think you're burying the lead in order to have a sensationalistic headline. The truth is 2 mi short trips are bad for you vehicle. If the owner took the vehicle out for a longer drive each weekend, I don't think this issue would exist and you wouldn't be pushing an anti-extended OCI on here. You should be anti-short tripping instead.

Best bet - the owners should purchase a used Nissan Leaf and have no oil changes at all.
My mother did five block commutes four times a day. Some weekends the car would get a 200 mile trip.

Every car she had went at least 100k miles before traded for a larger model. The last one was a 97 Plymouth breeze and she traded that with over 200k.

Four block commutes weren’t an issue. We extended the OCI by running syn oil and full non severe intervals.

It was running perfect when traded. They would get >30 MPG routinely on highway trips.

Back