Another oil from Valvoline…

I checked around Walmart last night in my area, It appears the Extended Protection isn't being restocked like the others Valvoline synthetics. Hopefully these aren't Autozone exclusive.
I called Valvoline customer service a few days ago. She said it’s currently only available at AutoZone but it should be carried by all other retailers this week or next. I asked which retailers and she didn’t know.

I checked around Walmart last night in my area, It appears the Extended Protection isn't being restocked like the others Valvoline synthetics. Hopefully these aren't Autozone exclusive.

Figures, now that I've started using Valvoline Extended Protection. I was planning on it for at least one more OCI. Did not expect that one to go away anytime soon.

This was posted on another forum:

"Restore & Protect is our highest performing product in the Valvoline portfolio. While other Valvoline products focus on wear prevention, Restore & Protect couples wear protection while actively helping restore engine cleanliness and protect against future damage by dissolving engine-killing deposits, and meets the demanding requirements of turbo-charged and gasoline direct injected engines. This engine oil meets or exceeds all requirements of ILSAC GF-6A, API SP, API SN with SN PLUS, API SN, Resource Conserving, and all preceding API and ILSAC gasoline categories."

This was posted on another forum:

"Restore & Protect is our highest performing product in the Valvoline portfolio. While other Valvoline products focus on wear prevention, Restore & Protect couples wear protection while actively helping restore engine cleanliness and protect against future damage by dissolving engine-killing deposits, and meets the demanding requirements of turbo-charged and gasoline direct injected engines. This engine oil meets or exceeds all requirements of ILSAC GF-6A, API SP, API SN with SN PLUS, API SN, Resource Conserving, and all preceding API and ILSAC gasoline categories."
Resource conserving I'd like to see them prove that other than on a computer model. If they failed they should have to refund all sales!

Resource conserving I'd like to see them prove that other than on a computer model. If they failed they should have to refund all sales!
It has the API SP and Resource Conserving right there under approvals and licenses. You talking about this product or API as a whole? Doesn't seem relevant to this oil.

I'll try and send out a VOA to Polaris soon. This oil has a very pungent odor almost like gear oil.

It's not your typical "sweet" smelling Mobil 1 or Pennzoil
Stank smell could be some sort of sulfurized additive, more common in gear lube. On sheet 13 of the SDS (across grades), Pennsylvania right to know contains a line item for an Afton Chem HiTEC 11188 - 000000276110 PROPRIETARY. If you search the Afton website, you can find 11180 (ILSAC GF-5, D1G2), and 11181 & 11183 (D1G3 add packs). 11188 produces no results.

Anyone with industry knowledge, could this point to a unique additive technology for Valvoline?

Edit: or possible it has similar chemistry, albeit less aggressive to premium blue restore and uses the technology of Valvoline patent US20170029734A1

Last edited:
More information.

1703083574591.jpg

Stank smell could be some sort of sulfurized additive, more common in gear lube. On sheet 13 of the SDS (across grades), Pennsylvania right to know contains a line item for an Afton Chem HiTEC 11188 - 000000276110 PROPRIETARY. If you search the Afton website, you can find 11180 (ILSAC GF-5, D1G2), and 11181 & 11183 (D1G3 add packs). 11188 produces no results.

Anyone with industry knowledge, could this point to a unique additive technology for Valvoline?

Edit: or possible it has similar chemistry, albeit less aggressive to premium blue restore and uses the technology of Valvoline patent US20170029734A1
They're claiming it's new and they're also claiming it's revolutionary LOL. Marketing lingo aside, it does look impressive.

Visited a local Autozone yesterday evening, didn't see any Restore & Protect in stock though the Extended Protection isn't in stock there anymore.

"Active Clean technology removes up to 100% of deposits" is marketingspeak for removes a percentage in the range of 0% to 100%. In other words, it's a meaningless phrase.

A perfect test for this new Valvoline product would be to see if it cleans the oil rings that are becoming coked and ineffective on the famous Toyota oil burner engines. If this stuff can degunk the ring pack on these engines then it's worth its weight in gold.

"Active Clean technology removes up to 100% of deposits" is marketingspeak for removes a percentage in the range of 0% to 100%. In other words, it's a meaningless phrase.
Unless Valvoline is being straight fraudulent, the images/video of the test results show that it's not just "marketing speak" or meaningless. There's a significant reduction in hard deposits in the wetted surfaces of the ring lands and piston skirt, approaching a complete (legal phrase, up to 100%) removal. Of the top of my head, I can't remember any products that explicitly claim 100% effectiveness, even when the statistics say they are virtually 100% effective. To avoid litigation companies have to use some form of the phrase up to 100%, 99.9%, 100% in most cases, nearly all, etc.

Also, they aren't claiming 100% deposit removal in a single service interval, but rather 4 normal intervals. It's common knowledge by now that there are real products which can remove carbon slowly over time.

..., the images/video of the test results show that it's not just "marketing speak" or meaningless. There's a significant reduction in hard deposits in the wetted surfaces of the ring lands and piston skirt, approaching a complete (legal phrase, up to 100%) removal. ...
Nobody said the product is fraudulent or not effective in removing deposits. My point was that the "up to 100%" phrase is meaningless, even if the product is legit. It might sound good if you don't think about it, but if you do, you'll realize it just says "less than or equal to 100%." It's the same classic evasive phrase long used by advertisers of fraudulent products. ("Up to 300% better gas mileage," etc.)

If it's actually more effective in removing hard carbon deposits than other readily available moderately-priced oils, that's good news for engines that guzzle oil due to carbon-clogged rings.

Back