Another New Vehicle Thread

Simply owning a timing chain car used to mean lots of zero maintenance miles, that isnt a guarantee anymore.
Timing chains in general have been less reliable since the advent of DI and the nasty DI soot that grinds the pin bushings and wears the sliders.

UD

Out of what you listed, the Lexus would be my choice. I've always enjoyed the styling - I think it's the best-looking CUV (outside of BMW) on the market. And, what Jeffery said about Lexus quality is on the money.

Echo what Cujet said about how the Edge drives. My mother is on her 2nd Edge (had a 2007, now a 2013), and she likes it fine, but they're too floaty and non-responsive for me.

If I were in the market for an RX, it would be an F-Sport.

I'm also one of the few who appreciates quirky Japanese styling. I actually like the "spindle grille" that is ubiquitous on Lexi these days.

1) For cars like Toyota and Honda when dealerships don't behave, Costco is a viable option. I've had good luck with the Costco new car program, and was satisfied I got my money's worth.

3) I don't like the Edge or the way it drives. Rent them from time to time. It's sub-standard, IMHO. They were steeply discounted for a while there.

4) I like the RX and the way it drives. Nice V6 too. There are times when Toyota's are overpriced and Lexus are discounted, nicely blurring the line between the two choices.

I'll respond to a couple of points and update:

We went to a Toyota dealership yesterday and could get no one to wait on us. Seriously.
We found one unlocked and sat in it. It is nice, but I don't think that it is exceptional for the price point.
I got on cars.com for that dealership and looked at the discounts they were offering. They were still pushing 40K for a mid level XLE w/leather discounted.
If I was going to drop that kind of coin, I'll ante up a little more and go for the Lexus.
So, for all intents and purposes, the Toyota is out of consideration, barring unforeseen circumstances.
Went to a Honda dealership and looked at the Honda. They didn't have the exact model we are looking for, but she liked it if we found the proper color.
As I mentioned, I really want a FWD. However, there are about 2 in the state of Ohio that I have located. That is going through Honda's own website.
There is a plethora of 2020 AWD's , and the '21 is out.
I did some keyboard comparisons, and found a dealer in NC where I can buy a AWD cheaper than I can buy a FWD here.
So now I am toying with looking at an AWD and aiming for the NC price here. (about $2700 difference.)
I may take a step back and bide my time, and stump a few dealers and see if they will bite on coming close or matching the NC price.
If not, has anybody ever bought a new car several states away? How big a hassle?
As for the Edge, amazingly it is still her #1 choice.
I'm amazed she likes the cheapest of all the options. Don't think that has ever happened before.
She understands my reservations about it, and says she would be okay with a properly colored Pilot.
We haven't driven an Edge to determine if we hate it or not. I guess for me it would be a default choice.

I haven't bought a new car since the 2012 Accord, and am having trouble finding pricing information.
Edmunds has totally changed their site, and at least I am having trouble finding the dealer cost, invoice, holdback, etc information that they used to have that was useful (if it is even still on the site.)
I hit a couple of news stands and see that the old (I think it was Consumer Guide) books that also provided all that information appear to be extinct.
Anyone have any ideas on where to get that information now, or where are the best sites that are most helpful? Did some googling and came up somewhat empty, however, the KBB website did provide a range of prices by model and zip.

Back in 2016, I bought a new Subaru WRX out of Little Rock, which is about a 7-hr drive from here in Nashville. It was no hassle at all. In fact, the process was simpler and quicker than going in to the dealership. We agreed to a price over the phone, and the man who delivered the car on a flatbed brought the paperwork for me to sign.

Not having a trade simplified things.

The dealer is usually anxious to do the deal, and more than willing to arrange delivery of the car.

Yep I've bought out of state multiple times, and used too which adds the complication of needing someone else who I trust to give it a good look-over first...new you know exactly what you're getting. I wouldn't hesitate at all to buy it in NC since even paying for shipping you would still come out on top. That being said, I just bought the MDX across the country in April and I negotiated free shipping as a part of the deal so they have the ability to play ball in that arena, especially with COVID even more so.

Out of what you listed, the Lexus would be my choice. I've always enjoyed the styling - I think it's the best-looking CUV (outside of BMW) on the market.

I can mostly agree with that up until BMW decided to make the kidneys as big as basketballs...the X5 can kind of pull it off but the 7 is repulsive.

Yep I've bought out of state multiple times, and used too which adds the complication of needing someone else who I trust to give it a good look-over first...new you know exactly what you're getting. I wouldn't hesitate at all to buy it in NC since even paying for shipping you would still come out on top. That being said, I just bought the MDX across the country in April and I negotiated free shipping as a part of the deal so they have the ability to play ball in that arena, especially with COVID even more so.

Mrs. Tdbo checked.
I could get a one way plane ticket on Southwest for < $100.
I'm retired. If I did it, I'd fly down and drive it home.

What are the sales taxes like in OH and NC? You'll pay whichever is higher.

I've flown to NC and driven clunkers home, a new car would be more pleasurable.

The cavalier I bought didn't even have a rear window defroster, that was part of the snow-belt prep package back then.

Coincidentally, 7% in the NC city the dealer is located.
The tax rate in the Ohio county in which I reside is 7%.
So, basically a wash.

Older model, but I was looking at the Highlander when I stumble across a Sienna for cheaper and now am happy I went with Sienna because of the cargo space. Not so thrilled thinking of the maintenance space when I have to work on it, but that's why to have more than 1 car.

Did see an older model Lexus 400h, really like that model, and if I had all the money in the world, it'd be the Lexus. But as reality sets in, downsizing to a Corolla will likely be the next step.

Good luck, sounds like your having fun with taking your time to find the right deal, but like you mentioned earlier, I'd wait it out for the FWD, or at least have them check and fill the differential and transfer cases, I know on a new vehicle it should be full...

I got a 2019 RX450h for my sister a year ago. Patty and Mark live in Gig Harbor, WA. We are in Los Gatos, CA.
This was a surprise for Patty; I wanted to do something special for my little sister. She missed her beloved Ford Exploder, as she called it.
Anyway, I got the deal from Putnam Lexus in Redwood City (there are tons of dealerships in the Bay Area).
The problem was, I had to pay CA registration when I bought it and they had to pay WA registration when they got home.
I had no idea... Kinda pixed me off; they shoulda told me during the negotiating.

As for getting prices, simply call a dealership and ask for Internet or Fleet sales. You will get a close number.
Good luck.

The problem was, I had to pay CA registration when I bought it and they had to pay WA registration when they got home.
I had no idea... Kinda pixed me off; they shoulda told me during the negotiating.

Yes, I'm assuming WA doesn't exempt for gifts from family members.

Nope, it depends on the state and also on how you take delivery. More often than not you'll pay the taxes in your state when you register. I've bought vehicles from NC, MI, and AZ and in all 3 cases have paid my state's 5% rate when I've registered and titled after getting them here...lower than all 3 of these:

NC: bought private party, drove back and paid here upon registration
MI: bought from a dealer, reciprocity between states so charged ND sales tax in the invoice in MI
AZ: bought remote and had it shipped, paid here upon registration. Had I traveled and purchased in person would've paid AZ taxes

Yes, I'm assuming WA doesn't exempt for gifts from family members.
It was purchased and registered by my sister and her husband.
I just wrote the check.
WA did not make them pay sales tax, just registration.
Basically the CA reg was wasted $$.

Started price shopping Pilots.
The pricing was too good to resist, as long as you weren't in Central Ohio.
Started shopping around Cleveland, and the discounts were substantial.
We couldn't find one in stock in the state in a color that was acceptable to the both of us.
Spent most of the day yesterday on line trading e-mails with dealerships.
Ended discussion with one dealership in Indiana when the salesperson became surly.
We didn't end up going to North Carolina, but we did make it to West Virginia.
This ended up coming home with us this afternoon.
Was very happy with the outcome. Had a good written quote from them last night.
Went down and met with them and they took another $500 off and met the Cleveland quote.
Everyone is happy with the color and the vehicle. Put 56% down, and financed the rest at .9%.
We'll get the Odyssey detailed and put it in the front yard.
Hope I'm good for another fourteen years.

Attachments

• IMG_0289.JPG
    IMG_0289.JPG
    176.4 KB · Views: 68
  • IMG_0290.JPG
    IMG_0290.JPG
    175.2 KB · Views: 67
  • IMG_0291.JPG
    IMG_0291.JPG
    184.8 KB · Views: 67
Looks like you bought very well. Please post a review for our benefit.
If possible, could you post MSRP and purchase price?
People ask me about cars all the time and I like to be able to tell them what to expect.
Real world purchase information is the best.

Again, well done; it looks great!

Vehicle sticker price was $40955.
I managed to get $6656 off sticker
Price OTD was $37002.43
In comparison, if I had stayed local on the same vehicle:
Dealer 1: $36,727, plus tax, title, and doc fee
Dealer 2: $38,042, plus tax, title, and doc fee
And I might note, both are high volume and dealer #1 touts itself as the #1 volume in the Midwest.

Edit: Here is the link to the vehicle. It still appears to be up:

Last edited:
Had the Odyssey detailed today and placed in the front yard.
After two hours, had a couple and their kid looking at it.
While they were looking at it, two women in an Explorer pulled up.
The passenger looked from the car window and asked how much.
I told her and she said that she could have cash to me within 15 minutes, but that since the couple was there first, they should have first dibs on it.
I think the couple was tire kicking until that happened. Then they got serious.
Looks like I have 2 interested. Tomorrow might be interesting.

I think I understand why I keep cars for a long time.
Saturday was interesting.
I gave couple one overnight to mull it over (at their request.) They texted back. They were busy with their son's wedding (fully understand that.) They said to give the woman in the Explorer the chance to purchase it, and if she didn't, we could discuss it more today.
Fine. Text the woman in the Explorer. Explain the situation to her and start to make arrangements. Says that she can't in good conscience take the vehicle when the couple was there first. She bows out.
Nice. She screws up my sale, then she bows out.
Text couple one and let them know. Text back they will be in touch tomorrow.
Today, get a call from a couple that called yesterday. They want to come look at it.
I go out at the agreed time, and there is yet another couple in a Subaru looking at it.
The wife acted somewhat disinterested, but the husband wanted it. They left.
The couple that called came up. They both really liked it. The wife really wanted it.
Husband did the lowball ($1500 less.) Told them that wasn't happening.
I no sooner had that out of my mouth than the Subaru pulled up quickly.
The guy walks up to me, puts a piece of paper in my hand with his name and phone number, and tells me that if they offer me any less than full list, call him and he'll take it. He leaves.
Obviously the tone changed. Wife clearly wanted it to the point that I'd bet he would be "Lonely" for a long time if he didn't buy it, if you get my drift.
He bought at full asking. Wife is supposed to call tomorrow and we will complete the transfer.
Couple with the married son texted. They won't have time to do the deal. It was sold 2x by that point anyway.
Guess if she bails, at least I have a backup.
So, the van has been sold verbally three times this weekend. Hopefully, one of these last two ante up the cash. If not, it goes back in the yard and I am putting it on Auto Trader.
Bizarre. There are advantages to trading a car in.
However, I would have never got $6500. on a trade in.

Back