Another IAAI salvage auction purchase

GON

$100 Site Donor 2024
Came across another flooded S-Class on IAAI. This 2012 S550 was MB dealer maintained (with records showing regular visits), lived its entire lif in Florida, was serviced by the same MB dealer, and has a long list of options to include designo interior. Hope to pickup tomorrow in Florida. It was owned by Progressive Insurance. I was the high bidder yesterday, but Progressive declined my bid and did not counter offer. Today they put it back for auction next week, with a buy it now just $675 more than my offer. Decided to buy it now rather than let it go back to auction.

I will be selling the white 2011 S550 which I am close to finishing. It will likely sell at a estimated loss to me of about $1500-2000. That loss gave me the experience/ confidence that I can work on the W221s that have been flooded, and what I should be looking for in features, history, etc in a salvage auction w221.

Attachments

• resizer a.jpg
    resizer a.jpg
    138.5 KB · Views: 99
  • resizer b.jpg
    resizer b.jpg
    161.5 KB · Views: 88
  • resizer c.jpg
    resizer c.jpg
    151.3 KB · Views: 82
  • resizer d.jpg
    resizer d.jpg
    152.9 KB · Views: 103
  • resizer e.jpg
    resizer e.jpg
    142.6 KB · Views: 101
  • resizer f.jpg
    resizer f.jpg
    143.6 KB · Views: 106
  • resizer g.jpg
    resizer g.jpg
    112.2 KB · Views: 99
  • resizer h.jpg
    resizer h.jpg
    163.2 KB · Views: 101
Last edited:
DD,

No it appears to not run or drive. A good thing that is not typical is it appears the air shocks are holding (inflated). That suggests the air shock system is tight, the car was not running while it was flooded, and is a recent flood victim.

At least this one has the hood star. Does it have more options? The other one was pretty much bare bones. Doesn't look like this one has distronics.

Will you keep this one after you get it sorted, or do you repair them and sell for profit? Flooded with salt water or fresh water, do they know and disclose that? Will be a nice car once it is repaired. Reliability depends on a bunch of factors I suppose.

At least this one has the hood star. Does it have more options? The other one was pretty much bare bones. Doesn't look like this one has distronics.
Its nicely optioned. I was surprised it didn't have distronic. Has options like the split rear power seats with climate control, etc.

Will you keep this one after you get it sorted, or do you repair them and sell for profit? Flooded with salt water or fresh water, do they know and disclose that? Will be a nice car once it is repaired. Reliability depends on a bunch of factors I suppose.
I purchase another like this six months ago, but it was not optioned well. I think I will lose $1.5k-2k on it. I typically don't sell what I rebuild. I like to keep them... hoarder I guess :unsure:

Sometimes salt or fresh is disclosed. Depends on the state. I am hopeful this is fresh, I am am thinking it is rainwater.... from the sunroof. I should know tomorrow.

After IDA I think you are going to have a much bigger pool of flooded vehicles to choose from shortly.
Depends. States like Louisiana don't allow the titling of cars after the water line gets so high that it impacts electronics, so that is a pretty low mark.

I am hopeful this vehicle's water came from a open sunroof or a clogged sunroof drain. I could be way off. Will know tomorrow.

Its nicely optioned. I was surprised it didn't have distronic. Has options like the split rear power seats with climate control, etc.
Yeah Distronics is hard to find on an E class but much more common on an S class. You're more likely to find the driver assistance package which would be the Distronics than the rear seating package which you have. Entertainment package? Pano roof? Night vision is nice too but I think it makes the headlights extra expensive.

Reactions: GON
Picked her up yesterday.

All indications very well taken care of. No initial visual signs of "flood" damage. Suspecting it was clogged drain allowing water to enter the car. No smells in the car, no signs of any mold. Interior is near spotless. Under the carpet is wet and they must come out. Unlike my white rebuild that sat at the auction house for nine or so months waiting for a title, this car appeared to get water logged the last week of July.

The car was at a independent euro specialty repair shop AFTER the flood from what I can tell. They have awesome reviews on google. They took some interior things apart and did not reassemble. Likely told by insurance to stop any more chargeable work. One things missing is OBD connector....... Sure they removed the panel that held it.... Glad this is my second w221 flood as I have some experience on how it should be.

Today I will remove the carpet for drying out, collect parts dissembled and not reinstalled during repair shop diagnosis, place damp rid containers in the interior, and charge the dead battery.

Only issue picking up the car- had to have a safety vest on. which I did not have and had to leave the yard and go buy one. Wasn't happy about it but actually a good thing to carry in the truck in case a need of pulling over on the interstate and being better seen.

PXL_20210903_143453725.jpg
PXL_20210903_143457891.jpg
PXL_20210903_143441207.jpg
PXL_20210903_232627892.jpg

Last edited:
You have a very understanding wife ;)
She has been out of town for two weeks visiting our adult children . Have not told her about this yet. She returns tomorrow evening.

My car shenanigans' end upon her return. Already getting myself mentally prepared to exit the "single man" mode and back to the wanting to be a engaged husband mode.

You can always try the "it followed me home" routine.

Hard to tell by the picture but is appears the brake pedal has some wear on the left side, someone driving with two feet?

Back