Another Example of Poor Build Quality

Why would you? You'll easily get over 50% of msrp at 5 years/100k miles...take the first half of it's life and let some other sucker get the second half.
Dishdude- that's been my standard procedure for any vehicle I have owned. Just FYI.

Oh my goodness, Chrysler forgot to torque down a fastener and now the truck is junk!!!

Let me tell you, loose fasteners is a fact of life with automobiles. Not to rag on GM because I’ve owned tons of them and I generally liked them, but I can’t tell you how many times I’ve had random bolts and nuts come loose. 😂
I know you're just being sarcastic and facetious, but my wife bought a 2008 Chrysler Crossfire Roadster brand new back in the day, and it was built in Germany alongside the SLK cars from Mercedes, and the hard working Germans forgot to tighten the nut in the front left fender well that just happened to be the main grounding point for a number of computers in the car.

It wound up blowing out the BCM, SKREEM Unit, and some other module several times over the first few months of ownership, until the dealership finally decided to investigate what all those computers had in common, and finally located the loose nut.

I can't even remember how many different trips that specific loose nut caused us to make to the dealer, but int he end, after 3 years with the car, our desire to keep owning it was snuffed out. Over $21k worth of warranty work was performed in those 3 years, and ultimately, if the right nut or bolt is left loose at the time the vehicle is assembled, yes, it might actually make the vehicle a big expensive pile of junk.

All it takes is 1 employee to miss the wrong bolt, and the owner of that car can have a horrible ownership experience.

Additionally, badly trained techs at the dealership who can't follow a wiring diagram and diagnose a persistent electrical gremlin thoroughly will only make that bad experience even worse than it already was.

Hell, here's the Crossfire Forum post from March 2009, only 4 months after we bought it:

BC.

My previous 2020 Ford F150 was bought brand new. First issue was a check engine light at 967 miles which put it into limp mode. Had something to do with the variable valve timing but I don't recall exactly what part was repaired. The auto-start stop would malfunction from time to time and shut the engine off as I was going through an intersection so I'd have to hurry and put it in neutral and re-start the engine before getting clobbered by traffic. There were 2 or 3 other instances where the check engine light would come on and it would go into limp mode but then would go back to normal on the next drive cycle. Then the backup camera failed at about 8,000 miles. At about 18,000 miles the driver side seat fabric had to be replaced because it was coming apart at the seams. The transmission would slam into gear from time to time like it was slipping and I'd get occasional weird drivetrain noises like a big unsettling clunk when coming to a stop. Then the driver side door started squeaking and rattling at the slightest of bumps. I sold it with 20,000 miles on it. I was super excited for my first brand new truck but that was short lived. I was pretty disappointed at the quality for a $40k vehicle. I've owned much cheaper cars that didn't have those kinds of quality issues including a few other Fords.

Stelllantis cars are proveable by data and statistics less reliable than other manufacturers. That is just a known fact. Though if the truck lasts 200,000 miles mostly trouble free, those two aforementioned quality issues won’t really matter in the long run. If my new car had those issues, I would be upset also, but not be furious to the point of cursing the manufacturer. That is reserved for big costly issues which may or may not be in your future!

But a matchbook striker dragged between them will get you home where you can replace them.
A guy showed me how to use a strip of emery cloth to clean them and reset then with a matchbook. I had a C10 gen ll pickup that went thru a couple three sets of points a year, cleaning them could get me a few more miles before replacing them.

Some vehicles are much more prone to poor quality and all different types of problems. Do your research carefully before buying a new or used vehicle. I believe any vehicle could have certain weird assembly problems however I have to believe they are few and far between for the most part.

Oh my goodness, Chrysler forgot to torque down a fastener and now the truck is junk!!!

Let me tell you, loose fasteners is a fact of life with automobiles. Not to rag on GM because I’ve owned tons of them and I generally liked them, but I can’t tell you how many times I’ve had random bolts and nuts come loose. I’ve had numerous GM’s where a fastener randomly falls from somewhere within the dashboard. I literally have a baggie in the garage with random fasteners that have fallen from the dashboards of cars I’ve owned, even new while still under warranty. It’s an odd feeling when a bolt hits you on the leg as you’re driving, I can’t make this stuff up.

It’s not a big deal. I’ve never gone searching for where those fasteners even go. Don’t really want to go tearing apart a whole dash for some bolt, screw, or nut. You’d never know it was missing a fastener either because nothing negative ever seemed to happen as a consequence.

I’ll never forget the sound of a nut falling from somewhere in one of my cars dashboards. It sounded like someone was playing a game of plinko. 😂

I will add my story from a few years ago and yes it was a Chrysler Pacifica we rented for about a week. Brand new too. When we returned it the attendant caught some damage on the front panel at the bottom. Upon inspection it looked like a faulty or broken clip that held the tail of the front fender. The tail had popped out. The rental company wouldn’t believe it though and wanted to charge me $1100 for fixing the damage plus their loss of income and devaluation of the car. All for a clip that probably cost a Buck or two.

In the end after disputing it I ended up paying $300 and Visa paid the rest after a back and forth that lasted several months. A bit of a scam on the part of the rental company for sure but it all started with one faulty clip or a clip/panel that was not installed properly.

I know you're just being sarcastic and facetious
I wasn’t being sarcastic and facetious.

Edit: sorry, I was being facetious in my first sentence lol. I guess in your case that one loose nut really did turn the car into junk. It’s crazy how one tiny error can cause so many other problems.

GM had seriously atrocious interiors for awhile, not many people will dispute that. After the bankruptcy they started turning things around.

Last edited:
I will add my story from a few years ago and yes it was a Chrysler Pacifica we rented for about a week. Brand new too. When we returned it the attendant caught some damage on the front panel at the bottom. Upon inspection it looked like a faulty or broken clip that held the tail of the front fender. The tail had popped out. The rental company wouldn’t believe it though and wanted to charge me $1100 for fixing the damage plus their loss of income and devaluation of the car. All for a clip that probably cost a Buck or two.

In the end after disputing it I ended up paying $300 and Visa paid the rest after a back and forth that lasted several months. A bit of a scam on the part of the rental company for sure but it all started with one faulty clip or a clip/panel that was not installed properly.
Most likely a previous driver parked too close to a wheel stop in a parking spot and dragged the front end a bit. Sucks you had to go through that trouble.

Once I used a gal's finger nail file to clean up the points. And a pack of matches to set the gap. Yup.
I had all kindsa MSD stuff in my Vette. One day I jerked all that stuff out and went back to points.
Made me happy.
That system GM used for setting the points in their V8s was great - hook up the dwell meter, pop up the window on the cap, and use an Allen key to set the dwell angle to 30°.

Last edited:
I wasn’t being sarcastic and facetious.

Edit: sorry, I was being facetious in my first sentence lol. I guess in your case that one loose nut really did turn the car into junk. It’s crazy how one tiny error can cause so many other problems.

GM had seriously atrocious interiors for awhile, not many people will dispute that. After the bankruptcy they started turning things around.

That system GM used for setting the points in their V8s was great - hook up the dwell meter, pop up the window on the cap, and use an Allen key to set the dwell able to 30°.
God Almighty I was so glad when electronic ignition was developed.

The old days and fix it yourself are gone for now but they may return very quickly when the Russians or the Chinese Use an EMP bomb on us. All the new technology will be totally useless. That old Nova will be worth so much that you may need to sleep with it and a shotgun.

The old days and fix it yourself are gone for now but they may return very quickly when the Russians or the Chinese Use an EMP bomb on us. All the new technology will be totally useless. That old Nova will be worth so much that you may need to sleep with it and a shotgun.
well I been sleeping with a prayer book or a bible next to my bed since Vlad The Putin was elected the very first term. I had a scary feeling when they told us a bit of his past. We all need to pray now about this latest train wreck he has started.

Back