Another Example of Poor Build Quality

Yet-vehicles are more reliable than they have EVER BEEN..........
Yes and no, reliability is subjective... Overall a hood switch not being plugged in properly causing an error message doesn't constitute a reliability issue to me. It doesn't prevent the vehicle from running and driving fine (if not better with start/stop disabled haha), and a loose nut or bolt on a non-essential component, same thing, whatever... but on the other hand, if they can't plug in a connector til it clicks or check to see if all the hardware is tight can we trust them to actually assemble important stuff properly?

I personally believe we reached a peak of vehicle reliability in the late 90s to mid 2000s. Computers/tech did help cars run better for longer with less minor repairs, but now we've gone too far with an airplane's worth of tech, sensors, modules, etc. as well as other stuff like GDI, small displacement turbo engines, CVTs, etc. that just don't seem to hold up as well long-term.

Unfortunately, this issue affects the entire industry, not just Chrysler/FCA/Stellantis stuff. In fact I would be LESS hesitant to buy a Chrysler/Dodge now than 15 years ago. Not because they have got so much better but because pretty much every vehicle from every make has the same technology, features, etc. all coming out of the same factories by the same OEMs with a different sticker and maybe software slapped on there.

Again, I'm not bashing Chrysler/whatever it's called this week, in fact a new base Dodge Charger is probably a more reliable car than a new Nissan Altima, simply because it doesn't have a CVT, I'm pointing out that reliability is subjective and from what we've seen with certain trends in the automotive industry, long-term reliability is down.

EV's have the opposite of all of the above-at what? 90% less moving parts than ICE. But you can't fix them in you back yard on the weekends....I'm 'kicking and screaming" on BITOG!
Right, inherently EVs are going to be more reliable long-term than a regular ICE car. But it's not that simple.

A friend with a Bolt was in a series of rental cars that GM paid for and paid to fuel for about 6 months after which point they finally gave him a new Bolt EUV. The amount of miles he drives (the entire reason he bought an EV), well, GM paid probably $10K in rental car+ fuel costs.

If your transmission, engine, whatever goes out on your "normal" car (let's take my 2010 Ford Escape 2.5L) I can order a remanufactured unit from any auto parts store. Or I can go on eBay and have a used one here in a week. Or even the dealer, supply issues and all in 2022, could probably get me an official Ford reman unit with a good warranty transferrable to any Ford dealer in the country.

With an EV, good luck. Nobody but the dealer can touch it and you might be waiting 6+ months for your car.

That is a big part of my anxiety about new cars or cars in general going into the future. They are putting things in and on cars simply because they can. Not because they are needed. OMG... I am with you less means less to fail. Oh and the big thing for automakers I feel is their glee over the fact with in just a few more years , no one except the very few Dealership Technicians will be able to trouble shoot or fix anything. Seems like less and less people today are interested in learning how to do anything for themselves or to vehicles except for "insert key and mash peddle!" well if there is an actual key... I knew we were headed down the wrong road the first time someone told me a story of "man I had to replace the battery on the wife's new Chevy.... only trouble was, I had to remove the front tire and.....!!!"

Unless you are stuck in the 70’s you really have no choice. Computers actually run the cars and they have for quite some time.

I know, but you used to be able to go into a parts store and yhere were 10 or more brands, quality and prices. Starting at less than $2.
When I put the points back in my old Vette years ago, the store had 1 set and was about $20.

By the way, Pertronix has worked flawlessly for me in several cars.
Pertronix is now Chinesium.

Yet-vehicles are more reliable than they have EVER BEEN..........
Very true.

I work in tech, and I don't fear technology, I fear what the technology allows manufacturers to do to lockdown repairs. EVs for example, there will be aftermarket support that catches up (watch youtube, there are people modding Teslas already) but my fear is when things get locked down due to security and software reasons and it turns into either A. one place only to repair (dealer) or B. the vehicle becomes even more disposable.

The Corollas and Geo Prizms were on the same lines; I kinda recall there were 2 lines for the cars and 1 for the trucks.
The Pontiac Vibe was built there, which was a Corolla hatchback.
They were building a Tundra mfg line but then they shuttered the plant.
There was a GMC owned Saturn Auto plant near Nashville, Tn where one of my son's lives. Spring Hill , Tn. It was idled in 2009 when Saturn went belly up. They were going to make Chevy Tarverse there but that got relocated to Michigan. Just found out that GMC has modified the places and is investing millions into the plant with plans to use it for work on any of the new EVs they design and decide to produce. Estimates are over 2,000 new jobs to that area.

There was a GMC owned Saturn Auto plant near Nashville, Tn where one of my son's lives. Spring Hill , Tn. It was idled in 2009 when Saturn went belly up. They were going to make Chevy Tarverse there but that got relocated to Michigan. Just found out that GMC has modified the places and is investing millions into the plant with plans to use it for work on any of the new EVs they design and decide to produce. Estimates are over 2,000 new jobs to that area.

GM currently makes the GMC Acadia, Cadillac XT5 and Cadillac XT6 at the Spring Hill plant.

Tesla employes more than 10,000 workers at the Fremont plant, far more than NUMMI ever did. And far more in support jobs.
Tesla is always hiring.

Unless you are stuck in the 70’s you really have no choice. Computers actually run the cars and they have for quite some time.
:ROFLMAO: My heart + mind ARE stuck in the 70s with the rest of me stuck here! The quality of modern autos is simply amazing. Its just that there was lots of satisfaction when J. Doe could help himself or a friend to trouble shoot and jump under the hood and work out a few auto problems. We are almost there today where that is all but over. Its not for me. I cant bend down under the hood anymore anyway. Just feel a loss for young folks. Maybe they too busy to work on their own stuff anyway.

:ROFLMAO: My heart + mind ARE stuck in the 70s with the rest of me stuck here! The quality of modern autos is simply amazing. Its just that there was lots of satisfaction when J. Doe could help himself or a friend to trouble shoot and jump under the hood and work out a few auto problems. We are almost there today where that is all but over. Its not for me. I cant bend down under the hood anymore anyway. Just feel a loss for young folks. Maybe they too busy to work on their own stuff anyway.

Yes and you had to do that a lot.

When the Fremont GM plant shuttered (our 4-4-2 was built there), many of the workers migrated to the local Silicon Valley companies. I worked for a guy who said the same thing. He said it was all about getting the cars out the door; don't stop the line no matter what. And "get on the El Camino line" because you basically got a day off for every day you worked.

Interestingly, my old '93 Toyota 4WD strippie PU was made at NUMMI and Tesla Model 3 were made there. So I've owned a vehicle from each iteration of the plant.
While I don't doubt what your friend told you-it seems these type of "stories" have been around forever.
And efficent and more bbn powerful pe liter etc etc etc. Some folk on this forum want to go back to the good ol days where cars got 7 mpg, 5 hp/l. And rotary phones.
Yes-the demographics are such on this forum where most remember everything you have mentioned. I am just guessing here-but I will probably say over 50% are over 55 or 60 years of age.

Let's face it. With today vehicles there isn't much to do. Change the oil. A layperson cannot change the spark plugs in my wife's 2017 Hyundai Santa Fe 3.3 motor. The back plugs are just too difficult-requires some disassembly of the top of the motor. I think I heard the going rate presently is around $300.00 for a tune up.

I don't plan on keeping it over 100,000 miles so I'm not worried!

I don't plan on keeping it over 100,000 miles so I'm not worried!
Why would you? You'll easily get over 50% of msrp at 5 years/100k miles...take the first half of it's life and let some other sucker get the second half.

Back