Another Example of Poor Build Quality

Goes to show that PDI inspections at many dealers are a pencil whip exercise.
THIS! The dealership, if they did the PDI correctly, would catch most of this stuff and send a better vehicle to the customer.....but they pay minimum wage kids to do the PDI and they prob care more about the wash and fill up then the details on the check sheet. I have seen plenty of low axles and other fluids on new vehicles that PDI would have found and corrected.

THIS! The dealership, if they did the PDI correctly, would catch most of this stuff and send a better vehicle to the customer.....but they pay minimum wage kids to do the PDI and they prob care more about the wash and fill up then the details on the check sheet. I have seen plenty of low axles and other fluids on new vehicles that PDI would have found and corrected.
I have bought numerous new cars and have never had an issue with low fluids from the factory/dealer Can it happen? Sure. Rarely.

Those of us that driver newer cars know this. I hate to break it to you-but new cars can be just as reliable as the beaters so well loved on here.

What dinosaur do you drive?
2005 Silverado and 1984 Oldsmobile. But I have the benefit of having worked years in automotive and still have friends that work on vehicles for a career.
My wife has a 2013 Hyundai Sonata with 90k on it. We don't take it in long trips as it is the one that is most likely to break down.

Those of us that driver newer cars know this. I hate to break it to you-but new cars can be just as reliable as the beaters so well loved on here.

What dinosaur do you drive?

People have short memories. It wasn't that long ago when 100k was the "your car has a lot of miles." Now it's easy double that, assuming the car was actually engineered right (looking at you ford.)

People have short memories. It wasn't that long ago when 100k was the "your car has a lot of miles." Now it's easy double that, assuming the car was actually engineered right (looking at you ford.)
and they mostly had a 12000 mile or one year warranty...

Reactions: Pew
I was with a friend who once picked up a junk 60's station wagon in the back of someone's yard, that thing had been sitting there for over 2 years. After putting in a freshly charged battery that he had brought along he couldn't get to the start at first so he took a pack of matches and use the striker to sand the points, then he doubled the paper of the matchbook cover over and use that to set the gap. It fired right up. It's not about using a point file and getting the connections parallel to each other, it's about getting it to run at all so that you can get where you got to go and then fix it properly later.

I have bought numerous new cars and have never had an issue with low fluids from the factory/dealer Can it happen? Sure. Rarely.
True but the point being made was that PDI doesn't always get done correctly. I have seen many cases on the assembly line where fluids were lost from transmissions and transfer cases during install that went out the door lower than should have been. My own personal Denali was 1/2 qt+ low on the rear axle when I bought it new. Dealer never even checked it.

True but the point being made was that PDI doesn't always get done correctly. I have seen many cases on the assembly line where fluids were lost from transmissions and transfer cases during install that went out the door lower than should have been. My own personal Denali was 1/2 qt+ low on the rear axle when I bought it new. Dealer never even checked it.
Or was that GM's stupid not-to-the-fill-hole rule? I don't know if that applied to axles other than the 10b? (I'm assuming a Denali didn't get a 10b)

Or was that GM's stupid not-to-the-fill-hole rule? I don't know if that applied to axles other than the 10b? (I'm assuming a Denali didn't get a 10b)
My Ram also says to not fill to the hole.

I didn't read the whole thread but see it was necro'd. I dunno if it was mentioned but QC on the JLs was also atrocious.

As to @The Critic 's issues, JLs would often have the fuses and relays not fully seated, causing all manner of electrical issues.

Some of the frame welds on my '19 are laughable. They're technically ok-ish but you wouldn't have graduated vo-tech with welds like that. Not a joke. Not a joke.

Modern oil and fuel helps too. The engine in my 84 Oldsmobile is a 1976. I've personally put 120k miles on since 2007 and it's like got over 300k still running perfectly. I don't recall ever thinking 100k was a lot.
I will agree that today there are less vehicles that are completely junk (like Pinto's, Vegas, etc. Economy cars were just throwaway junk back then. But I will take a 1980s gm b body or g body any day. They aren't for everyone but they last forever, are easy to work on and cheap for parts.

This was my 2006 and the spec was just below the fill hole about 1/4" or so. It took more than a 1/2 qt to fill to that mark.

Reactions: D60
These new young robots just don't have the work ethic of their elders! Bring back the GE 1060!
Talk about memories! My plant used Fanuc's starting with the T1 and they do a decent job and are all electronic vs the old K2 prior units that were not as dependable.

My 2012 Ford Transit Connect didn’t make it home from purchase before the A/C switch went bad on a 90 degree day. Dealership replaced it. Besides a wheel bearing, valve cover gasket and a water pump at around 180k it still runs like a top at 210k miles.
I find most problems like my a/c switch show up early and after a shake down settles down.
Another vehicle I had, a 2003 Denali Yukon had a pressure sensor on the a/c go out while on a trip with under 5k miles on it. Ran flawlessly up until the day I sold it at 180k miles.
Original transmission?

These new young robots just don't have the work ethic of their elders! Bring back the GE 1060!
That's why I'm confused. I thought robotic welding was supposed to make for greater consistency. The travel speed, CTWD, angle of the gun etc should always be exactly the same.

That's why I'm confused. I thought robotic welding was supposed to make for greater consistency. The travel speed, CTWD, angle of the gun etc should always be exactly the same.
It does. My last assignment before retiring was on the team setting up the brand new bodyshop for T1 and these robots are extremely accurate and leave excellent welds. I think the comment above about crappy welds is just because the look different but they are by far better then manual spot welds.

It does. My last assignment before retiring was on the team setting up the brand new bodyshop for T1 and these robots are extremely accurate and leave excellent welds. I think the comment above about crappy welds is just because the look different but they are by far better then manual spot welds.
Nah, Stellantis was recalling JLs because track bars were tearing off the frame.

Nah, Stellantis was recalling JLs because track bars were tearing off the frame.
Wow! I better go check mine! I was referring to the actual BODY not the chassis parts which are welded differently and by supliers.

Back