Another example of how still crazy high the used car market is- especially for cheap used cars

Car is in Indianapolis, transport to a port has to be at least $800.
I take it you never drive I95? You see caravans of two or three Mexicans coming back from northeast salvage auctions heading south to Mexico. Usually a wrecked but drivable pickup or SUV towing a wrecked or inop car. That's a lot farther then Indy to Baltimore.

I take it you never drive I95? You see caravans of two or three Mexicans coming back from northeast salvage auctions heading south to Mexico. Usually a wrecked but drivable pickup or SUV towing a wrecked or inop car. That's a lot farther then Indy to Baltimore.
Africa and Mexico are in two very different parts of the world, especially when mapped from Indianapolis. Keep your story straight.

Africa and Mexico are in two very different parts of the world, especially when mapped from Indianapolis. Keep your story straight.
You were pointing out how expensive it would be for Africans to get the car to a port. I'm saying if Mexicans can drive their purchases 2,000 miles, it should be no problem for Africans to drive 500 miles to the Port of Baltimore for the cost of gas.

I just can't grasp the final price being more than 50% higher than the winning bid. I don't do auctions, and it was 50 years ago, but I remember when you won and you paid that plus 10% and were finished. 50 plus percent is insane.

You were pointing out how expensive it would be for Africans to get the car to a port. I'm saying if Mexicans can drive their purchases 2,000 miles, it should be no problem for Africans to drive 500 miles to the Port of Baltimore for the cost of gas.
You brought up Africa in post #3 of this thread, I was not the originator of the Africa buyer, you were.

I just can't grasp the final price being more than 50% higher than the winning bid. I don't do auctions, and it was 50 years ago, but I remember when you won and you paid that plus 10% and were finished. 50 plus percent is insane.
The fees are incremental. It takes the same work for the auction to process a $100 car as it does a $10,000 car. The fees on the $100 car will be like 150% of the purchase price while the fee on a $10,000 car is more like around 8%.

it was that way pre-covid for trucks, with the exception of 100k plus miles. cars are just now catching up. the issue is unchecked money printing and the increasingly stringent emission standards. The last admin was going to change the emission standards to lower the cost of vehicles, but the current admin changed back. I've seen estimates that emission standards are costing an additional 5k per vehicle. either way, there is a constant pressure to increase the price of vehicles.
If this were true the automakers would find $5k of "other stuff" to decontent from the vehicles so they'd sell for near their original pricing. Instead they're adding leather seats, multiple sunroofs, touch screens... people are paying it. And engine performance is as good as it's ever been, if engineering around emissions were a problem we'd have a Malaise Era 2.0 going on.

If this were true the automakers would find $5k of "other stuff" to decontent from the vehicles so they'd sell for near their original pricing. Instead they're adding leather seats, multiple sunroofs, touch screens... people are paying it. And engine performance is as good as it's ever been, if engineering around emissions were a problem we'd have a Malaise Era 2.0 going on.
that's because they have finite analysis now, they can model the combustion chamber with injection and ignition timing. that all cost money. I don't even know why I'm replying no one one was even talking about features on the vehicles that a total separate discussion. you just cant hold a coherent thought for any length of time. (pet profile, not surprised)

You are good in the used car business. If you ever want to leave that business, it appears you would a natural as a press secretary.
Just like this guy!

8Ntrzy.gif

Alternative caption: "Africa, Mexico.... Whatever."

Man it's crazy. I sold my 2006 Buick Lucerne with 77k last year for $3000 because I only got one person to even look at it. I didn't think my car was that undesirable

So I'll be able to get $3K even for my '91 Grand Am?
If it runs well and will get someone to work for a while - likely.

Your competition is this explorer. Different class, but honesly is a 1999 explorer more reliable than a 91 N body.

Is it rust free? If so I might give you 3K for it. No salt does hold the value of cars around here more than up north.

1695335907460.jpg

Maybe I am living in the past and have not come to grasp how the change in the value of the USD changes the price of most everything- even junk vehicles.

I look at this vehicle, almost 200k miles, likely very rust underneath, lots of money to fix the back because at a minimum quarter panel up to the roof has to be cut out and replaced- and think this is a $200-300 best case. Yet someone paid over $1200. Maybe a lot of other factors in play- possible as simple as not enough used cars to go around, even junk cars now become a valuable commodity....

Beats me.....
I'm suprised that pick n pull and pull n pay can stay in business. They have to bid on vehicles just like everyone else. You'd think that it would be more profitable to rebuild and put a vehicle back on the road vs recycling them.

Back