Another Delete Shop Gets Nailed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well then, lets see what you own that I can tell you what you can do or not do with it. Do you own small two stroke or even 4 stroke engine lawn equipment? Let's ban those. Do you own any vehicle larger than a 4 cylinder? Let's ban that. Do you own power sport equipment, maybe a boat with a motor? Nuts to that, learn to row. How about your homes thermostat? No warmer than 62, no colder than 79. Maybe salt on your sidewalk so nobody slips in winter, too bad, pollutes the waterways. You see where I am going with this? I don't even own a diesel and think the rolling coal people are nuts, but I'm not going to get this holier than thou opinion.

Issue with each and everyone of your examples is that all of the items you discuss are currently legal.

Tampering with emissions devices is not and has not been for quite some time. See the difference?

Diesel soot IS a carcinogen, and not a good thing to be breathing any more than necessary. But, playing devil’s advocate here-I haven’t seen ANY pollution controls on railroad locomotives, nor on diesel tugboats. Guess they just have better lobbyists…

There are strict emissions requirements on new locomotives. Do they require the same level of emissions treatment as automotive vehicles? No. But that does not mean there are no requirements.

Diesel soot IS a carcinogen, and not a good thing to be breathing any more than necessary. But, playing devil’s advocate here-I haven’t seen ANY pollution controls on railroad locomotives, nor on diesel tugboats. Guess they just have better lobbyists…

There are steps to curb air pollution in ports. You should google this before commenting.
-https://www.portoflosangeles.org/references/2021-news-releases/news_060721_zanzeff
-https://www.fleetowner.com/emissions-efficiency/press-release/21166545/port-of-los-angeles-demonstrates-hydrogen-fuel-cell-electric-freight

You've not been looking. Here's a little something about emissions standards for marine engines.

And California has been regulating harborcraft emissions for a while.

Using Cummins as an example, their QSK60 is now available with both IMO III and Tier 4 certifications. Other Cummins tugboat engines are emissions-compliant as well, including the QSK95, which is a V-16, 4-stroke diesel that delivers up to 4,200 hp. It is both IMO Tier II and EU Stg. 3a certified.

I guess those lobbyists were asleep at the throttle when the regs were passed and Cummins jumped on board.

Last edited:
The EPA has multiple Tiers of emissions regulations on locomotives. They're up to Tier 4, but the railroads aren't buying them because of high operating costs and low reliability. Currently GE is not building any new locomotives, so one could say that excessively stringent emissions regulations are working against cleaner air because owners won't upgrade to newer models.

You can. You just can’t have it registered to drive on public roads. If you want to take it off-roading, to the track, or on your own private property, then I’m sure there won’t be a problem. There are plenty of vehicles in the US which cannot pass safety or emissions - they just aren’t allowed on public roads.
This was a big thing that was mentioned to me when I tuned my car. Everyone recommended that I get a tuner that allowed me for low cost to go to stage 2. What some didn't realize is that I will never go stage 2. It requires defeating emissions equipment removing the cat or going to a high flow catted downpipe. I like my cars fast, but I want it to be emissions legal.

I don't understand anyone that believes it's their right to defeat emissions systems.

The EPA has multiple Tiers of emissions regulations on locomotives. They're up to Tier 4, but the railroads aren't buying them because of high operating costs and low reliability. Currently GE is not building any new locomotives, so one could say that excessively stringent emissions regulations are working against cleaner air because owners won't upgrade to newer models.
Can you provide documentation that substantiates the whole of your statement?

Can you provide documentation that substantiates the whole of your statement?
I haven't seen the documents, but I know my railroad isn't buying new locomotives. They used to, but they keep rebuilding old ones instead. I don't know if that gets around emissions, but I also don't know what the new emissions entail. I do know we're using offroad diesel and I hate the smell of these things.

No. It’s pretty clear the Biden era EPA’s intent is/was to stop modification of all EPA certified vehicles even if used off-road only, no emissions controlled car could be turned into a race car. I’m sure the thought is it’s easy to install off-road devices on registered vehicles. Most “off-road use only” marked parts are used on registered cars. Meanwhile I’m pretty sure boats and airplanes get overlooked without harassment.
If you did your research, you would see this started in the Trump era EPA - Just the current administration is allowing it to continue unabated.

Also, boats in port have to follow current EPA rules, UNLESS they receive a waiver. I had to work on a cargo ship that had it's EGR blower "waivered" as the equipment was "blown up" by a huge electrical discharge of some sort. Ship was in port for three days, and left to head to next port for the repairs to be completed.

It's a bit more complex than that

It's a bit more complex than that

They better figure out something. We’ve been running 9,000ft trains with 1 engine. This isn’t going to work at -20F. It’s near impossible to keep up with brake pipe air leakage with 1 engine in the cold with that much train. We’re moving more trains than ever with less power and it’s going to catch up to them eventually.

Even Cummins was doing it in the Ram trucks. $1.63 billion dollars! :oops: With all of these big companies getting busted too there seems to be no honesty & ingenuity. Shows us what they're willing to do for the almighty dollar... Until they're caught.

Last edited:
I saw the press release this morning, I wonder exactly what the device did, as the press release really didn't include any information other then they were release more NOx then they should have been.
I'm sure we'll hear more, but I'm sure it's similar to the VW thing. Power/efficiency increase that has a negative effect on emissions.

It’s near impossible to keep up with brake pipe air leakage with 1 engine in the cold with that much train.
Fix leaky cars? Lash an extra air compressor onto the end of the train?

These "capital rebuilds" replace most of the major parts and systems with brand-new latest technology, except of course the diesel engine. These parts are made by the same companies like GE that would be selling complete locomotives. The money the railroad spends qualifies for a depreciation tax write off the same as buying a new locomotive.

1703291924168.png

Last edited:
Fix leaky cars? Lash an extra air compressor onto the end of the train?

These "capital rebuilds" replace most of the major parts and systems with brand-new latest technology, except of course the diesel engine. The money spent qualifies for a depreciation tax write off the same as buying a new locomotive.

View attachment 194362
All of your suggestions require spending money. There's also 180+ air joints on a train this long and you're literally pumping air close to 2 miles. It's a problem every winter, it's just going to be worse with 1 engine. They've acquired another railroad and the combination is expanding business. They're trying to do more with the same power they have and doing a lot of rebuilds to keep them going. They just keep stretching it thinner and really need to buy more power.

I saw the press release this morning, I wonder exactly what the device did, as the press release really didn't include any information other then they were release more NOx then they should have been.
Installing defeating tech that "Fooled" the test results to show low emissions when in fact it was not up to the required compliance standard.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back