Another blown engine where does it stop!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Mrsandman
this is not my personal experience I'm just sharing.
Thought a little exposure was appropriate but I've been told via pm to trudge carefully. Seems info from other forums and for new members is not well received here. I been here long enough though to see others baited and even ran off for simply having an opinion different than those shared by the click.

Lol you a "new member". Right.

And it's "clique".

Originally Posted By: Chris142
My mom had a 3614 come apart and plug a oil feed to the head back in the early 90's on a Dodge Omni. Dealer found the piece of filter stuck at the headgasket.

Did she get any warranty coverage from fram?

Originally Posted By: Shannow
So it's something that you witnessed, or have you cut and pasted "stuff off the internet" ?
Thought a little exposure was appropriate but I've been told via pm to trudge carefully. Seems info from other forums and for new members is not well received here. I been here long enough though to see others baited and even ran off for simply having an opinion different than those shared by the click.

Don't pretend. You were run off because you are a troll.

Originally Posted By: jhellwig
So it's something that you witnessed, or have you cut and pasted "stuff off the internet" ?

Don't pretend. You were run off because you are a troll.

Actually I'm still here lol duh! Ill be sure and let us know if and when I get run off. Or, wait.....no that's following your sorta logic. Never mind.

Actually I'm still here lol duh! Ill be sure and let us know if and when I get run off. Or, wait.....no that's following your sorta logic. Never mind.

He wasn't referring to this particular incarnation.

OK it's y'alls story. Guess I'll let you tell it. Let me know how it ends. And try and stay happy, life is to truly too short.

OK it's y'alls story. Guess I'll let you tell it. Let me know how it ends. And try and stay happy, life is to truly too short.

A person from Texas reporting a canadian email address.

FUD.

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
What FRAM needs right now is a public relations expert: ZeeOSix.
grin2.gif

ROFL

Originally Posted By: Joshua_Skinner
The trolling by Mrs. Andman continues. 233 posts in 14 days. It's absurd.
I think it's "MR. SANDMAN" , Sparky.

Originally Posted By: HerrStig
Originally Posted By: Joshua_Skinner
The trolling by Mrs. Andman continues. 233 posts in 14 days. It's absurd.
I think it's "MR. SANDMAN" , Sparky.

Says the 2nd biggest forum troll. I know exactly what he meant by his user name. No doughnut for you, the pathologically humorless.

Originally Posted By: dnewton3

Here's a disintegrated filter causing engine destruction from late 2013 again very recent. Call number below for questions

Critial warning re fram filters
We recently had one of our Fortins Engines fail due to low oil pressure. Working with the customer we determined that the root cause of the failure was a new FRAM oil filter that had internally disintegrated and plugged off its ability to pass oil through it thus starving the bearings for oil. Needless to say the engine did not live long without oil pressure.

On the upside the customer will be getting a new engine, at no cost to them but at considerable aggravation at having to re and re the engine. Going forward he will no longer use FRAM filters.

For our part all future engines will be shipped with a LARGE note stating that the use of any filter other than Lubrifiner or K&N brand filters will void the warranty.

In researching this failure we have become aware that FRAM has in the recent past shipped their manufacturing off shore and it is these off shore products that are causing the issue.

Our advice generally would be to discontinue the use of FRAM oil filters on any engine that you place a value on keeping it alive.

Call me on our toll free at 866 853-5835 If you would like to discuss this in person.
Al Beix
www.westerncanadacobras.com
www.specialtycarpartscanada.com
Toll Free 866 853-5835
E-mail - [email protected]

I'm very curious, and a bit cautious, here ...

This is from 2013? That's your idea of "very recent"?

Who was providing the new engine? Who did the teardown and analysis? What were the findings? What "research" was really done and can we see the actual notes and findings? Was it Fram? If so, I suspect they had a hand in the warranty decision; what can you share about that?

So a Fram fails according to this account, and now you discount the entire industry other than two filter makers? What about Baldwin/Hastings? Donaldson? Wix? Come-on now ... Your "note" about K&N or Lubrifiner would not be legal, at least here in the States; it violates the M/M Act about tie-in sales. Unless you were providing the filters free of cost ... I suspect Canada has a similar law?

And it's the advice that all Fram filters (even the TG and FU) are to be avoided? Seems a bit over-reactive to me ...

I find reason to scrutinize this account further ...

Seems suspicious, all his (?) posts are old Fram failures-hopefully just a coincidence...

Last edited:
Have any stories on the Fram Ultra disintegrating and destroying engines?
Use the Fram Ultra with stainless steel mesh behind one of the best engineered element materials in the business of oil filters.
I think that is what is sticking in the craw of both fram haters and wix loyalists. Just forget about all the others, use Fram Ultras.
Score one more free. Fram Ultra.
Fram Ultra.

Originally Posted By: goodtimes
Have any stories on the Fram Ultra disintegrating and destroying engines?
Use the Fram Ultra with stainless steel mesh behind one of the best engineered element materials in the business of oil filters.
I think that is what is sticking in the craw of both fram haters and wix loyalists. Just forget about all the others, use Fram Ultras.
Score one more free. Fram Ultra.
Fram Ultra.

As a WIX-loyalist (since two torn tearolators)...

Fram Ultra is (arguably) the best commonly available filter for a lot of applications.

My issue is that quality comes at a (higher) cost that my application can never take advantage of the filer. One vehicles is under warranty with non-10K intervals. The other two only get between 3-6K miles per year. So, what is wrong with a Napa Gold/Wix that can only be solved with an Ultra? On top of that, Fram only has a orange can that matches Subaru bypass spec. So only my recreational vehicle (MR2) can use the Ultra.

I also think Fram could word their advertising a bit better too
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: FutureDoc
Fram Ultra.

As a WIX-loyalist (since two torn tearolators).......... So, what is wrong with a Napa Gold/Wix that can only be solved with an Ultra?

People think a Fram Ultra is only good to use if they go for long oil change intervals. Wrong there, since filtration efficiency beats the decent-OK Wix oil filters, Ultras achieving 80%@5microns, something the wimpy-thin paper-glass Wix filter media can't do. Only the Microgreen oil filter is slightly better for smaller particles than an Ultra, and you don't get the robust media/backing an Ultra has.

He's on a mission to dig up as many Fram failures from every corner of the internet as possible. He still has about 68 more to go to tie just the Purolators reported here.
grin.gif

Originally Posted By: ExMachina
Originally Posted By: FutureDoc
Fram Ultra.

As a WIX-loyalist (since two torn tearolators).......... So, what is wrong with a Napa Gold/Wix that can only be solved with an Ultra?

People think a Fram Ultra is only good to use if they go for long oil change intervals. Wrong there, since filtration efficiency beats the decent-OK Wix oil filters, Ultras achieving 80%@5microns, something the wimpy-thin paper-glass Wix filter media can't do. Only the Microgreen oil filter is slightly better for smaller particles than an Ultra, and you don't get the robust media/backing an Ultra has.

Agreed ... and that's why I don't mind paying a couple more bucks just to get the higher efficiency and robust construction.

Originally Posted By: ExMachina

Yes, but is that as relevant for the performance for return on investment. Will Ultra's better efficiency show some type of tangible return that as an owner I can point to and say "yes"? Is the engine going to last longer with 99 @ (or >) 20 microns or 95%? I am not sure that we will see than different in 99.9% of the vehicles. FYI, I think the Ultra is a great filter, it just does not have any major advantages for my use.

I see a big gap between a lot of the jobbers/entry pricepoint and middle-upper tier filters but less of a jump between middle-upper tier and top-shelf premium filters. The real big payoff for the premium filters in the OCI, but you can only see that (economy of mileage scale) perk if you can or are willing to run 10-15K intervals (or more). I say that Ultra's best attribute just does not apply to my situation so why pay twice (about $10-$11 vs $5-$6 retail for my use). If I was able to do 15K intervals, then I would likely use the Ultra but only using an Ultra for 5K (two oil changes for 2 years) is wasteful. It is the same reason I am not using M1 EP or Pennzoil Ultra... very good product but my situation dues not factor into their advantages over other products.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back