Another blown engine where does it stop!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here's a disintegrated filter causing engine destruction from late 2013 again very recent. Call number below for questions

Critial warning re fram filters
We recently had one of our Fortins Engines fail due to low oil pressure. Working with the customer we determined that the root cause of the failure was a new FRAM oil filter that had internally disintegrated and plugged off its ability to pass oil through it thus starving the bearings for oil. Needless to say the engine did not live long without oil pressure.

On the upside the customer will be getting a new engine, at no cost to them but at considerable aggravation at having to re and re the engine. Going forward he will no longer use FRAM filters.

For our part all future engines will be shipped with a LARGE note stating that the use of any filter other than Lubrifiner or K&N brand filters will void the warranty.

In researching this failure we have become aware that FRAM has in the recent past shipped their manufacturing off shore and it is these off shore products that are causing the issue.

Our advice generally would be to discontinue the use of FRAM oil filters on any engine that you place a value on keeping it alive.

Call me on our toll free at 866 853-5835 If you would like to discuss this in person.
Al Beix
www.westerncanadacobras.com
www.specialtycarpartscanada.com
Toll Free 866 853-5835
E-mail - [email protected]

I could have sworn you posted this somewhere else? In the text of another thread maybe? It's still early though so I might be wrong.

Keep stacking them up
smile.gif

Interesting. I would like to see more members on here start posting issues with them too.

I am going to buy a Purolator Synthetic oil filter even if its not on sale and put it on my Altima next time I am due to change the oil filter on it. Takes pictures of it on my car, post those pics on here and put my money where my mouth is. One thing I've learned in taking care of patients is.. Do what you say you are going to do. It's of premium importance. Same is true in other areas too
smile.gif

Ya I did but it dawned on me that this matter deserves it own thread and attention. Every victim of failing QC deserves there story to be told and the consumer as a whole needs to be made aware of the risk involved with a company and it's products.

Originally Posted By: bbhero
Keep stacking them up
smile.gif

Interesting. I would like to see more members on here start posting issues with them too.

I am going to buy a Purolator Synthetic oil filter even if its not on sale and put it on my Altima next time I am due to change the oil filter on it. Takes pictures of it on my car, post those pics on here and put my money where my mouth is. One thing I've learned in taking care of patients is.. Do what you say you are going to do. It's of premium importance. Same is true in other areas too
smile.gif

that's very respectable. You seem like a stand up guy

I appreciate that man. Ive learned that doing what you say is extremely important to people. So, I will gladly put that pretty blue can on my car
smile.gif
even though I have a Fram Ultra 7317 in the bull pen. I really did like the grip on their can. It is a top notch filter which I have no problem running 10,000 miles. I'm currently using the 7317.. It's an upsize from the 6607. So I need that same upsize in Purolator Synthetic too. It will be a fine filter which will do just as good as what I have used to this point.

Last edited:
Why in the world would they pick the (now foreign made) K&N and the Champ/Fram made Luberfiner (although the XL is an excellent filter)? There's about a dozen that I would choose before those (Wix, Ultra, RP, Fleetguard, Puro Syn, NAPA XP or Gold)!

Originally Posted By: bullwinkle
Why in the world would they pick the (now foreign made) K&N and the Champ/Fram made Luberfiner (although the XL is an excellent filter)? There's about a dozen that I would choose before those (Wix, Ultra, RP, Fleetguard, Puro Syn, NAPA XP or Gold)!

I agree neither would those be my choices either

Originally Posted By: Mrsandman

Here's a disintegrated filter causing engine destruction from late 2013 again very recent. Call number below for questions

We recently had one of our Fortins Engines fail due to low oil pressure. Working with the customer we determined that the root cause of the failure was a new FRAM oil filter that had internally disintegrated and plugged off its ability to pass oil through it thus starving the bearings for oil. Needless to say the engine did not live long without oil pressure.

On the upside the customer will be getting a new engine, at no cost to them but at considerable aggravation at having to re and re the engine. Going forward he will no longer use FRAM filters.

For our part all future engines will be shipped with a LARGE note stating that the use of any filter other than Lubrifiner or K&N brand filters will void the warranty.

In researching this failure we have become aware that FRAM has in the recent past shipped their manufacturing off shore and it is these off shore products that are causing the issue.

Our advice generally would be to discontinue the use of FRAM oil filters on any engine that you place a value on keeping it alive.

Call me on our toll free at 866 853-5835 If you would like to discuss this in person.
Al Beix
Toll Free 866 853-5835

I'm very curious, and a bit cautious, here ...

This is from 2013? That's your idea of "very recent"?

Who was providing the new engine? Who did the teardown and analysis? What were the findings? What "research" was really done and can we see the actual notes and findings? Was it Fram? If so, I suspect they had a hand in the warranty decision; what can you share about that?

So a Fram fails according to this account, and now you discount the entire industry other than two filter makers? What about Baldwin/Hastings? Donaldson? Wix? Come-on now ... Your "note" about K&N or Lubrifiner would not be legal, at least here in the States; it violates the M/M Act about tie-in sales. Unless you were providing the filters free of cost ... I suspect Canada has a similar law?

And it's the advice that all Fram filters (even the TG and FU) are to be avoided? Seems a bit over-reactive to me ...

I find reason to scrutinize this account further ...

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Shannow
So it's something that you witnessed, or have you cut and pasted "stuff off the internet" ?

Exactly.. and neither question was answered.

Originally Posted By: JTK
So it's something that you witnessed, or have you cut and pasted "stuff off the internet" ?

Exactly.. and neither question was answered.

And it won't be either, except perhaps in some snarky manner involving words such as "Jeb" or "kiddo" or references to living in your mother's basement. This repeat member has no desire for actual discussion.

I'm glad to hear that the customer got a new engine. The big question is, "Who ultimately was held responsible and paid the bill for the engine?"

Originally Posted By: Mrsandman

Al Beix
Toll Free 866 853-5835

Thousands, maybe millions, of engines are running with plugged up oil filters right now. That's why the engine makers put relief valves in them, in addition to a bypass valve somewhere. They aren't even very good at making up a sensible story, so many flaws. They needed to say the filter disintegrated, remember it was a new filter which has no bearing on anything, except it is even better to say NEW, due to oil galleries to the main bearings plugging up.
They are lazy story tellers, some on here are much better. One of the more amusing parts is the "research" into Fram "offshore" practices. I didn't know they made the filters out in ships, but that would be alright. hahahaha

this is not my personal experience I'm just sharing.
Thought a little exposure was appropriate but I've been told via pm to trudge carefully. Seems info from other forums and for new members is not well received here. I been here long enough though to see others baited and even ran off for simply having an opinion different than those shared by the click.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back