Annoying Dipstick locations?

The 5.0 in the 2018,f150 at my work is out of my reach. I have to get on a ladder to be able to reach it as it's down almost flush with a cylinder head.

The 6.7 diesels I also need a ladder to reach
I'm a bit over 6ft tall and can just barely hook the 2018 5.0 or the 2018 2.7 to get it out. To get it out clean I do use a stepstool or ladder.

And yep - the 10R80 trans dip is a booger.

The 5.0 in the 2018,f150 at my work is out of my reach. I have to get on a ladder to be able to reach it as it's down almost flush with a cylinder head.

The 6.7 diesels I also need a ladder to reach
They make picj ups so high now days. My F150 and the Wife's F350 are stupid high.

It's easier to pull a dipstick than to crawl around under a car, and when you change your transmission fluid a nice dipstick with a wide tube makes it easier

Also sometimes transmission fluid coolers fail and you get atf in the radiator or coolant in the tranny. That faliure is somewhat rare though

I can't recall the last car I have owned that had a transmission dipstick. To me, it is an antiquated method, that I am more than willing to let go of. Most of my cars have used a variation of a fill port overflow method to determine the correct fill level at fluid change. I personally find this much simpler, and have more confidence in it.

The dipstick method involves filling the transmission, checking the dipstick, adjusting the fluid level, and check the dipstick. Repeat this process until you are satisfied with the fluid level.

The fill port method involves filling to overflow, and put in the fill plug. Done.

You make a good point about the rare possibility of a leak into the cooling system. But that seems to be a failure that would be much easier caught by regular inspection of the coolant, rather than regularly checking transmission fluid level.

Edit: Oops. I forgot that my motorhome uses a transmission dipstick to verify fluid level.

Last edited:
It's easier to pull a dipstick than to crawl around under a car, and when you change your transmission fluid a nice dipstick with a wide tube makes it easier

Also sometimes transmission fluid coolers fail and you get atf in the radiator or coolant in the tranny. That faliure is somewhat rare though

Good point. As one who has always done all of my own transmission fluid drain/fill service, I really didn't consider not knowing for ones self, that the fluid level was correct, when the job was done.

When it comes to fluid condition, the only time I have had concerns with the fluid color and/or smell in a transmission, was when I was much younger (and foolish), and neglected regular transmission fluid changes.

The Ranger and Everest in Australia with the 10R80 get a proper dipstick right up into the engine bay! But the older models with the 2.2/3.2L engines and 6R80 have the silly burn-your-arm-hairs dipstick on the side of the transmission.
Ohh really? That might be worth looking up the part# and trying to order one. Research for me to do tonight at work!

I replaced the clutch slave cylinder on an AMC Eagle (1980-1981?). When I went to refill the master cylinder, there was no fluid reservoir. Just an open ended Tygon-ish clear length of tubing with "Fill --->|" heat stamped on the outside of the tube.

Usually if the dipstick is located too far back with minimal hood clearance the dip wire works better than the stick. Although not a fan of the plastic level guide check on the tip of the wire.

Nissan V6. So close to the radiator I can barely get it out. Once I didn’t get one pushed all the way down and it shot all of the oil out the dipstick tube all over the engine resulting in it coming back on a tow truck. Them and Honda V6 are about the same.

Back