Annoying Dipstick locations?

I recently picked up a 96 Geo Metro 1.0L 3cyl and the dipstick is underneath the air filtration system. Not the end of the world but it does make it a bit of a hassle to remove/insert the dipstick to check the oil.

Any others?

Due to the difficulties with accessing the dipstick and the potential procrastination, I would use a thick syn oil with a low Noack number! :alien:

10R80 transmission dipstick.

About 2 inches long, and pretty much, no matter which vehicle it is in, is next to a scorching hot exhaust pipe, or in my case, a catalytic converter.

And you're 'supposed' 'to check it hot, although a lot of us check it cold and estimate.

10R80 transmission dipstick.

About 2 inches long, and pretty much, no matter which vehicle it is in, is next to a scorching hot exhaust pipe, or in my case, a catalytic converter.

And you're 'supposed' 'to check it hot, although a lot of us check it cold and estimate.
The Ranger and Everest in Australia with the 10R80 get a proper dipstick right up into the engine bay! But the older models with the 2.2/3.2L engines and 6R80 have the silly burn-your-arm-hairs dipstick on the side of the transmission.

The transmission dipstick in my RDX. Royal pain to get to, and you have to check it hot, so you’re sticking your hand down into a very warm engine bay to reach the handle. It’s also not easy to read. I’m not a fan.

I kinda like my car, transmission fluid is as easy to check as engine oil.

Attachments

• 1688056529842258789356468172159.jpg
    1688056529842258789356468172159.jpg
    155.8 KB · Views: 19
The Camry's 'stick is in a great location and is very easy to access:

20230629_093957.jpg

I’ll take an annoying transmission dipstick over NO transmission dipstick! :mad:
Why do you need a transmission fluid dipstick? Transmissions are not like engines. They do not consume oil. The only way a transmission fluid level goes down is if it leaks. If it leaks, you should be seeing evidence where you park it. That means your transmission needs attention. If there is no transmission fluid puddles under your car, there level should be the same as it was at last service.

Why do you need a transmission fluid dipstick? Transmissions are not like engines. They do not consume oil. The only way a transmission fluid level goes down is if it leaks. If it leaks, you should be seeing evidence where you park it. That means your transmission needs attention. If there is no transmission fluid puddles under your car, there level should be the same as it was at last service.
It's easier to pull a dipstick than to crawl around under a car, and when you change your transmission fluid a nice dipstick with a wide tube makes it easier

Also sometimes transmission fluid coolers fail and you get atf in the radiator or coolant in the tranny. That faliure is somewhat rare though

I like to check a technician's work if a fluid drain / fill is involved. Or even check my own work. I'd also like the ability to periodically check the color and smell.

Back