A bit of grit in oil through the dipstick hole

Replacing the CCV on my M54 I pulled out the dipstick housing: .
I struggled pressing it back, pulled it out to try another strategy, and noticed that a bit of the grit from the hole edges got on the bottom section of the housing that goes inside.
Not too much, not visible in the cold thick oil, but fine grains could be felt on touch.

Does any oil from the pan need to go through the oil pump and the filter first before it can get anywhere else, or can it get to some moving surfaces unfiltered?
Is there a chance to clean it out by an oil change, or a more substantial approach like removing the pan would be needed?

Replacing the CCV on my M54 I pulled out the dipstick housing: .
I struggled pressing it back, pulled it out to try another strategy, and noticed that a bit of the grit from the hole edges got on the bottom section of the housing that goes inside.
Not too much, not visible in the cold thick oil, but fine grains could be felt on touch.

Does any oil from the pan need to go through the oil pump and the filter first before it can get anywhere else, or can it get to some moving surfaces unfiltered?
Is there a chance to clean it out by an oil change, or a more substantial approach like removing the pan would be needed?

Cold start may put a small amount of oil through filter bypass but very little. My view is a certain portion of used oil stays in the engine after a oil change. The difference between the dry engine oil capacity and the oil change fill capacity. If you feel something in the oil, that will be captured in the filter. One reason not to pre fill oil filters with new oil through the center hole on the oil filter.

Last oil change I had some left over 0w-20 (TGMO and Kirkland) and ran that for a couple of weeks and then installed PUP 0w-20. My target was that left over used oil to get a fresh oil change.

Last edited:
Back