Can you diagnose this issue? Gunk in dipstick tube.

The issue I'm having is in regards to my boat which was just taken out of storage. In the fall I change my oil and filter that way in the spring it is ready to go and also has fresh oil in it over the winter.

This year when I went to pick up the boat I noticed gunk on my dipstick. (The dipstick was clean as could be when checking oil after filling in the fall) Being overly careful I decided to change the oil just in case. Mind you it had never been ran since the fresh oil change. When examining the unused oil I found nothing in it. It appears the gunk is just in the dipstick tube because when I put a plumbing brush into the tube it came out dirty.

What would be causing this? Just moisture from storage getting into the tube? The boat was stored indoors with many other boats and covered. I am annoyed as the boat is a 2018 and I don't know why I am having these issues.

I am contemplating getting a new dipstick tube but I'm not sure how I would prevent this in the future.

FB_IMG_1682685963717.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I would not worry about it, probably just condensation. Did your cover have a vent or was it breathable. Air tight covers like shrink wrap without vents cause all kinds of moisture issues.

Back