Anniversary gift

Status
Not open for further replies.
So the wife and I have been thinking about getting a truck for a while now, but we've just never had the disposable income to do it. For the past couple of years, we've been using a small utility trailer pulled by a Cavalier probably at least once a week to haul everything from animal feed to lumber to a hot tub to 17 bags of cement (at once, plus a ~650 lb trailer; amazingly it could still do freeway speeds). Somehow the engine/tranny haven't blown up in 230,000 miles, but I digress. On the upside, it managed 24 mpg while towing for almost a full tank of gas.

About a month and a half ago, my dad came down to visit. I asked him if he'd help me fix the A/C in my car (hasn't worked in over a year, I never bothered to fix it because I can just ride my motorcycle year round), which is still broken because he did me one better - this is now sitting in our driveway!

It's a 2012 Tacoma, 57k miles. It's definitely your basic work truck - 2wd, reg. cab, 4 cyl, auto trans, manual everything else - but that's probably what we would have ended up buying anyways, just a lot older with a lot more miles on it. My initial impression is that it's a [censored] of a lot nicer than an econobox built last millennium; much smoother going over bad roads, the 4 cyl feels plenty fast, I like being higher off the road, and it doesn't scrape the exhaust trying to go over the washed-out dirt road one of our customers lives on. I do wish for a back seat when the two of us are in the cab and there's absolutely no room for groceries or anything we buy, but a toolbox in the bed can fix that, plus give me a nice place to store a jack, tire pump, various bungies and tie-downs, and stuff.

The only real complaint I have about the truck is the transmission. It seems to want to shift into overdrive way too early. Like 40 mph at 1500 rpm early, and the engine feels like it's just one step above lugging. It'll try to do it accelerating up a hill, and I'll actually lose speed until I give it more gas and it reluctantly shifts into a more appropriate gear. I'm sure Toyota designed it that way for MPG (and I get 22-25 in normal driving so far) but it's definitely annoying at times. I'm going to change the ATF when I install a tranny cooler this weekend, but I doubt it'll change what seems to be factory programmed shifting behavior.

Other than that, I have no complaints. If I keep it in second gear, it'll pull our loaded trailer up a steep hill at 60 mph, where the car with its terrible 3-speed auto struggled to do 35. Now that we have something capable of towing it comfortably, we hope to have a teardrop trailer built by next summer so we can camp in it on a trip we have planned to NM.

Thanks, dad
smile.gif

Last edited:
You have one heck of a father! The transmission does shift early to achieve better fuel economy. You might wanna check the water level on the battery, especially if you live in the HOT IE in Cali.

Crank up windows! G0D bless Toyota.

Every man deserves at least one pick up truck in his lifetime. It's a rite of passage.

Congrats, and bless fathers...mothers....brothers and sisters, and of course wives and children.

Have fun hauling things!

Originally Posted By: skyactiv
You might wanna check the water level on the battery, especially if you live in the HOT IE in Cali.

Believe me, that battery will die an early death no matter what I do once the wife leaves the headlights on a couple of times :p

You may want to call a few area Toyota dealers and talk to the service Manger. There might be a transmission reprogram available especially since the truck is still under the powertrain warranty. The 2012 Camry needed one and I think it helped. It was downshifting on the slightest incline when on the hwy and unlocking the TC. Plus I noticed a lot of these models being reprogrammed on the Carfax reports under the maintenance history.

edit: Ok, just did some checking and didn't see any high mile Tacomas that have had any computer reprograms done.

Last edited:
Congratulations! That truck should do better for hauling than the Cavalier. Those things just refuse to die, don't they?

They really do. I just had to do a bit of work on the cooling system, and am going to finish up replacing the A/C compressor today, but the engine/transmission have been solid, despite being asked to do way more than they were designed for. I wonder how many people did a double take seeing this being pulled down the road by a tiny car?

Nice truck! A toolbox should be good. Otherwise look into one of those sliding tonneau covers and you can put a couple Rubbermaid bins in there that you can put groceries in so they don't slide around.

Nice truck, props to your Dad! What is that large thing behind your truck in the first picture? Is that a rock painted to look like a pear?

Originally Posted By: JC1
Nice truck, props to your Dad! What is that large thing behind your truck in the first picture? Is that a rock painted to look like a pear?

Someone painted the rocks to look like a sliced apple. Behind it and off to the side, there's a frog and a buffalo. Figured it was as good of a place as any to take a picture.

Sweet ! and time to give the little Chevy a break.
When I needed a toolbox for my Canyon - found Amazon and eBay had some really good choices ...
In town, not much selection for smaller trucks ...
I did cooler, filter, and drain plug - 20 minutes to swap 5 qts of ATF and XG16 filter ...

Those Tacomas are great little trucks. Wish Toyota still made them in the single cab configuration. I would love to find that truck here - just maybe with a manual.

I have a variant of that transmission in my Cherokee and they are just indestructible, they do run hot so you have the right idea running a cooler. And as you have observed, there is poor shift logic. They were used on much heavier, and more powerful vehicles than your Tacoma with great reliability!

I'm sure that powertrain combination and living in CA should give you another 20 years out of it.

I routinely "manually" shift my automatic, locking out the upper gears as necessary. I almost prefer that--not as good as a proper trans, but making the best of the situation.

Nice truck. I'm not familiar with the engine, but for my Toyotas I shop for filters online--eBay was the cheapest place last time I decided to stock up. Like $4/each for oil filters.

Guy up the street from me has an EC 4x4 Taco, 3.4/4AT for sale. I think it was 200kmiles, new frame and brakes, 2003 or so. Typical dents--and he wants $7,500.
crazy2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back