Anecdotal Reports on High Quality of M1

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just wanted to post on the apparent high quality of Mobil 1 (regular variety 5w30). I am in the midst of towing a travel trailer from MD to Grand Canyon by way of Moab. 11750 gross combined weight with 2013 Silverado 4.8. Previously, when towing the same trailer (less loaded even) with ACDelco Dexos Full Syn 5w30, when I pulled the dipstick to check oil I would get smell of smoke and burned oil. Mobil 1 - NOTHING. No smoke, no odor of burning oil. Severe hill climbing temp in high 90’s getting 8 mpg. This stuff is just better I’m telling you.

It is good, not sure smelling the oil is the best way to measure quality. I am running Mobil 1 AFE 0w20 in my sisters Accord 2.4 and it seems to like it. I have always ran PP 0w20 in mine, no complaints either way.

Mobil makes fine oils. The last I knew, ExxonMobil supplied GM for it's AC Delco oils, so it's interesting that you had an issue.

I towed my Jeep from Mass to Moab at 12.5/13K combined using NAPA Premium Performance 5W20.
Never smelled any burning oil.

Speaking of smell, has anyone else noticed a sort of burnt plasticy smell from Shell GTL oils, I've noticed it with 10W30 PP when I used it in a lawn mower and a few weeks ago I changed my oil and used 0W40 Rotella in my Trailblazer and I noticed after I changed it and had the oil cap off their was kind of a faint burnt plastic like smell to the oil.

I wasn’t purposely smelling it, it was just an apparent odor when pulling the dipstick. While ExxonMobil does supply ACDelco Dexos oil, I think it is the Mobil “Super Synthetic” which I used to swear by. Clearly there is a reason for the price difference between that and Mobil 1.

Speaking of smell, has anyone else noticed a sort of burnt plasticy smell from Shell GTL oils, I've noticed it with 10W30 PP when I used it in a lawn mower and a few weeks ago I changed my oil and used 0W40 Rotella in my Trailblazer and I noticed after I changed it and had the oil cap off their was kind of a faint burnt plastic like smell to the oil.

I cleaned out a half dozen Advance Auto's when PP 10W30 was $3.68/jug a couple of years ago. I use it in everything from OPE's, to our Turbo Optima and never smelled any burnt plastic. Weird.

I wasn’t purposely smelling it, it was just an apparent odor when pulling the dipstick. While ExxonMobil does supply ACDelco Dexos oil, I think it is the Mobil “Super Synthetic” which I used to swear by. Clearly there is a reason for the price difference between that and Mobil 1.
From what I've heard it's a different division of Exxonn-Mobil that makes the private label oils, there's the division that makes Mobil Supe and Mobil 1 and what not but then there's a division that makes delvac and related and that's the division that blends the private label oils.

I just wanted to post on the apparent high quality of Mobil 1 (regular variety 5w30). I am in the midst of towing a travel trailer from MD to Grand Canyon by way of Moab. 11750 gross combined weight with 2013 Silverado 4.8. Previously, when towing the same trailer (less loaded even) with ACDelco Dexos Full Syn 5w30, when I pulled the dipstick to check oil I would get smell of smoke and burned oil. Mobil 1 - NOTHING. No smoke, no odor of burning oil. Severe hill climbing temp in high 90’s getting 8 mpg. This stuff is just better I’m telling you.
I'm glad vanilla M1 5W-30 is working for you. Given your truck's severe usage during this OCI, I would still plan on changing the oil and transmission fluids per the severe schedule, or both quite early for that matter.

During its second or third straight OCI using vanilla M1 5W-30, I had a GM Gen III 5.3L truck engine chew its cam, causing me to accomplish an engine replacement. I had no intention of rebuilding it after its accumulated 135,000 miles at the time. Personally, I won't be going back to M1 oil in 5.3L engines.

So far, the 2nd Gen III 5.3L engine has been great. Since the engine replacement, Chevron Supreme, QSUD (QSFS), and now Kirkland Full Syn 5W-30 are my oils now. I'll accomplish a 0W-40 oil change this coming fall (Castrol Edge Euro 0W-40 or PP Euro 0W-40), as I may soon take a gov't engineering job in Interior Alaska. Arctic-rated synth grease (likely AMSOIL Arctic Synthetic Grease) and other arctic-rated synth fluids are in-order as well.

That reminds me... I'll really need to install a block heater and stick-on oil pan heater, and a battery warmer if I take said truck into Interior Alaska. More expense! My truck's current location, near Anchorage, is downright balmy compared to Interior Alaska winters!

Last edited:

I know exactly what you are saying here...

It's like when I pull my transmission dipstick.... The whiff of extremely stong CVT fluid is noticeable. I'm not sniffing a daggone dipstick. It just happens.

Same thing pulling off a bandage on a pressure wound that is a deep stage 3 wound... Which is a whole 1 inch deep below the surface skin and the hole is almost the size of a half dollar and it tunnels for almost a 1 and half under the skin at the 10 o'clock position. I caught a small whiff of a bad smell one time. Wasn't sticking my nose close to where it originated from. Thank goodness the guy now is having Aquacell being put into the wound. Starting to heal just a tad bit now and looks better. No smell either.

The odor itself is no indicator of overall quality.

I'm glad vanilla M1 5W-30 is working for you. Given your truck's severe usage during this OCI, I would still plan on changing the oil and transmission fluids per the severe schedule, or both quite early for that matter.

During its second or third straight OCI using vanilla M1 5W-30, I had a GM Gen III 5.3L truck engine chew its cam, causing me to accomplish an engine replacement. I had no intention of rebuilding it after its accumulated 135,000 miles at the time. Personally, I won't be going back to M1 oil in 5.3L engines.

So far, the 2nd Gen III 5.3L engine has been great. Since the engine replacement, Chevron Supreme, QSUD (QSFS), and now Kirkland Full Syn 5W-30 are my oils now. I'll accomplish a 0W-40 oil change this coming fall (Castrol Edge Euro 0W-40 or PP Euro 0W-40), as I may soon take a gov't engineering job in Interior Alaska. Arctic-rated synth grease (likely AMSOIL Arctic Synthetic Grease) and other arctic-rated synth fluids are in-order as well.

That reminds me... I'll really need to install a block heater and stick-on oil pan heater, and a battery warmer if I take said truck into Interior Alaska. More expense! My truck's current location, near Anchorage, is downright balmy compared to Interior Alaska winters!
I lost a camshaft in a 5.3 (98k) using M1 5w30 as well. Changing at a 6k interval. Just Valvoline synthetics now….

I used Mobil 1 5-20 in my V 10 motorhome pulling a car and motorcycle on a heavy dolly all over the country and it never used a drop of oil in 5k miles. I was impressed by the oil and the engine.

LMBO! not only is your anecdotal report making me spit out my coffee, but the fact that you're towing that much across country with the anemic 4.8 is priceless.... I but you get cussed in every state by drivers stuck behind you. Being from MD, you probably camp in the left lane 99% of the time too....

Glad to hear it’s working for, I’ve had success running M1 Euro 0w40 on my Frontier towing trailers weighing 4500 and 5500lbs in the hills at temps around 110°. Did well with RGT 5w30 as well. Oddly enough the VQ40DE liked to munch on PUP but our Rogue did very well on Pennzoil. Who knew engines could be such picky eaters?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back