And You Thought You Were Killing Your Oil...

Status
Not open for further replies.
So, the new semester at school has me driving M-F to a different campus just across town.

I knew the trip was pretty short, taking into consideration that the truck only reaches about 130F , and with temperature of 15F this morning, you have no chance of getting much heat from the vents before you must shut it off, so I pretty much freeze on the ride over.

One-Way Distance:
2.4 Miles!!!

Thank goodness for the HIGH TBN of Pennz. Long-Life 15w-40!

Current Conditions from the Weather Channel:
15°F
Mostly Cloudy
Feels Like 6°F

UV Index: 0 Minimal
Dew Point: 1°F
Humidity: 46%
Visibility: Unlimited
Pressure: 30.28 inches and rising
Wind: From the West Southwest at 6 mph

...I'm sure many of you have me beat in the tempeature department, but if feels darn cold out in a jacket and jeans.

I knew this brat in college who drove ACROSS CAMPUS (0.4 miles) for class in the winter morning, in a SUBURBAN! The thing still had that cold motor fan roar when he shut it off.

Every morning I drive about .8 miles to school...and .8 back...although I keep the jeep in a 60 degree garage.
smile.gif

Doesn't anyone walk anymore even in the winter.
As a kid in Chicago no matter how cold or windy I never got a ride to school.

Get an oil pan heater, block heater and take the long scenic route there every day.
smile.gif

By the way, I'm moving this to General and Off topic.

This type of driving would suit a 0W-30 oil way better than what you have in
smile.gif
I don't think the TBN even enters into the picture (IMHO)

Luckily it's nowhere near as cold here, but my girlfriend's drive to school is about 2 miles each way. AND! There is a steep hill in the middle of it.

I cringe when i drive her-- i can't be loading the engine down on the hill when my coolant temps haven't gone above 160F!!!

With the short distance, i'm surprised the battery is holding up. *knock on wood*

ferb!

quote:

Originally posted by Jelly:
One-Way Distance: 2.4 Miles!!!

If this was me, I'd either:
(a) Drive around in circles until the car was fully warmed up.
(b) Take a long trip on the weekends to burn off the accumulated water from your short daily drives.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back