An argument for 5k OCI

I drove fleet cars while I was working in X-Ray for 32 years. Had 5K oil changs and too many vehicles to list. Oil was mostly Mobil conventional oil. Never had any oil related failures. I bought 2 of the vehicles when they reached retirement mileage. Kept up the same policy. Went over 180k on both before trading them off and still had no failures. I did keep up with all maintenance though.

I drove fleet cars while I was working in X-Ray for 32 years. Had 5K oil changs and too many vehicles to list. Oil was mostly Mobil conventional oil. Never had any oil related failures. I bought 2 of the vehicles when they reached retirement mileage. Kept up the same policy. Went over 180k on both before trading them off and still had no failures. I did keep up with all maintenance though.
Sorry I apparently removed the vid link while you were replying! Definitely sticking to 5k OCI is good practice if longevity the goal.

Delivering mail on all gravel dusty roads would make the engine wear out prematurely. Not every car has the same history. Who knows where this car went over several years. Most Camry's have a great track record of lasting a long time even if they go to 10,000 mile OCI's.

This is getting old honestly we have plenty of UOAs and data of vehicles on here far exceeding 5k mile intervals and reaching very high miles. My 2017 Ford Escape 2.0 Ecoboost has 141k miles on it and has ran 15k-18k mile intervals, another member here has a Honda Civic with like 500k miles on it and has ran extended intervals as well and this is like the 3rd time this same video has been posted

If you want to keep the car do a 5K OCI (or 7.5K MAX when travelling out of state) using top tier Brand Full Syn oil. If you don't and plan to sell it in the future then do what the owner's manual says.

If the OCI had been 3K, the outcome would presumably have been the same. Does that mean 3K is the ideal OCI?

I didn't see this video linked anywhere else on BITOG but hopefully it's not a duplicate.

Here is an argument for 5k OCI in the Toyota, especially when relying on the dealer (i.e., cheapest oil) for regular service requirements.

It was posted in this thread, but I don't THINK it has had its own thread?

I really liked the video and the tech/shop owner.
When I need work done on my truck that my cousin and/or friend can't do it for me I take it a small indy shop in town. It's an owner and 1 tech in the shop. Both are ASE certified and they do HONEST and QUALITY work at great prices. And they let me bring my own parts if I choose so.
My cousin or son changes the oil AND FILTER in/on my engine every 3K-5K miles. In fact, my son will be coming to visit me next weekend (August 13th/14th) and will be changing my oil AND FILTER with Chevron Supreme 5W30 and a MC FL-400S oil filter.

Last edited:
This is like at least the third time…
I am calling you out on this 1, could this be the 2nd time, or maybe the 4th time? LOL

Back on topic, could you use Mobil 1 for 10,000 mile OCI's, or is this more a situation about driving conditions versus what oil is being used?

I am calling you out on this 1, could this be the 2nd time, or maybe the 4th time? LOL

Back on topic, could you use Mobil 1 for 10,000 mile OCI's, or is this more a situation about driving conditions versus what oil is being used?
To me this is for the simple common individual that takes their vehicle to get the oil changed at the least expensive place. Those of us that change our own oil and use a quality synthetic would never have a problem at 10k changes. I feel it is the lowest quality oil being used by the dealerships to get the best return on their service.

Dealers don’t always do the best job. Owners have to be proactive. Check your oil every 1K or so. That way you know what’s going on. I did six month intervals (6000-7500K) with M1. About to hit 10K on Amsoil SS 0W30 in my 15 Tacoma 4.0L. 117K.

Attachments

• ED6927CA-8DE2-4008-82A7-8FE7D1EBCE4D.jpeg
    ED6927CA-8DE2-4008-82A7-8FE7D1EBCE4D.jpeg
    83.3 KB · Views: 55
I change oil at 5k.
Reason is simple as I installed an hour meter to change at 200 hours to get an idea on interval. At 200 hrs I was at 5100 miles one month then 4500 next. I let OLM do it's thing and around 8k light came on at 310 hrs or so. Manual states never go over 350 hours. It took multiple tests before I came to this conclusion but if all hwy oil changes would be different. I average 25mph.

Just checked my dads truck and he’s at 310k on his 2011 F150 5.0. OCI’s have been 8-9k miles and every other oil change a new fram ultra. Most oil changes have been with supertech synthetic but also some valvoline, pennzoil or others thrown in when rebates made it worthwhile.

904CB323-A9A3-4497-808A-D7C66D4AD242.jpeg

Back