Amsoil's cheapest Synthetic. Any good?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm running my Castrol Edge for 15,000 miles and every 3,000 miles my car burns about 1 quart. I have 3,000 miles on the oil already and refilled with 1 quart of Castrol Edge. However, it's getting expensive because one quart is about $8.25 out the door. There's a local Amsoil dealer will sell me Amsoil Synthetic 7,500 mile formula for $6.50. What kinds of oils is the Amsoil comparable with? $6.50 is an awesome price for a Synthetic.

I use it in 5w-20 & 5w-30 with a 5-6k OCI. It's a grp3 oil. Some users have seen good uoa's with it.

When I'm done with my current stash of HDD I'm going to do an endurance run on the XL 10w-30. I might not get much more than 12-13k on it. I'm fully confident that, at least in my usage, it will work out well beyond the blanket 7500/6month advertised recommendation. To hang that out there, just like M1 with their EP 15k/one year, they have to make it to a decent cut above that. It may not work out that way in all engines. Some appear quite challenging when attempting extended drains.

As far as the price? He's literally giving it away. That's less than I currently pay for it.

Originally Posted By: Gary Allan
When I'm done with my current stash of HDD I'm going to do an endurance run on the XL 10w-30. I might not get much more than 12-13k on it. I'm fully confident that, at least in my usage, it will work out well beyond the blanket 7500/6month advertised recommendation. To hang that out there, just like M1 with their EP 15k/one year, they have to make it to a decent cut above that. It may not work out that way in all engines. Some appear quite challenging when attempting extended drains.

As far as the price? He's literally giving it away. That's less than I currently pay for it.

How in the heck is he earning money when the Amsoil website says $6.80?

Originally Posted By: Popinski
How in the heck is he earning money when the Amsoil website says $6.80?

$6.80 is the retail price. Dealers and Preferred Customers get the wholesale price, which is less.

I have used the Amsoil XL series oil but have found that it won't last longer than 7500 miles, at least not in my applications.

Good oil though...

I'd use Amsoil, if it's cheaper. Amsoil doesn't amkle a 'bad' oil - all their stuff is top-rate.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
How about Shell Rotella T6? It's $19.50 per gallon.

Too much controversy on Diesel oils in gas engines.. I ain't riskin' it.

Back to the price choice. You can drink Pepsi, Coke or buy generic cola for a fraction of the price. I like the good stuff, AMSOIL.

OP asked what oils XL is comparable with. I think it compares in quality with PP but costs more since Amsoil has no rebates, sales or promotions. At 6.50 per quart, it still costs more than PP on sale with an oil filter such as PureOne. It is still a good oil at 6.50/qt, just not my choice-even at that price.

It's API SM-rated for gasoline engines.
21.gif

It is not a diesel oil it is a dual rated oil for gas and diesel engines. It is rated SM, where is there controversy? Not here.

While I have no problem to those who live entirely off of the rebate/discount "spot market", you do have to realize that everyone cannot follow your lead. You're 100% relying on surplus in the market. That surplus is due to people making other choices for a given product over a given time span. If the demand and supply ever get more in alignment, these speculative deals will no longer exist.

Essentially, YOU can do this. EVERYONE cannot. Cherish your unique position and kindly give thanks to those who don't crowd too tightly in the same niche corner.

If oil was never on sale/rebate/clearance Amsoil XL would be my choice in a SM/GF4 Synthetic. When you can get other oils that are comparable for $4 Qt or less I simply go another way.

PS Add Oil should never cost extra. You simply adjust the OCI to reflect the increased add oil. In your case you would simply change the filter at 15,000 miles and keep going (Assuming 5 Qt capacity without filter and out of warranty).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back