Amsoil -- What's The Difference?

Cute.

I’ve rebuilt the carbs exactly once (in the late ‘90s) on my now 60yr old heap, and it still dishes out solid mid 11s in the 1320.

I do run RD30 Dominator in it though, changed twice a year, along with Power Foam right before each oil change.

Could they be the magic formula to keep old warriors scorching the 1/4 mile?

Friend lighten up, matters not how many miles are on my bike or how well it’s maintained. It matters that your statement is patently false. Bikes take maintenance and fuel injection makes it easier. If guys aren’t willing to maintain their carbs and rebuild them every so often they get what they sow. Sounds like you must’ve had a carbureted bike that dumped fuel in the oil and you had to dump all your pennies into a drain pan to address a crank case full of fuel?

I showed a counter example to your blanket statement about not running more expensive oil in a carbureted bike, you then throw out testy language like somebody pee’d in your post Toastie‘s breakfast just because you aren’t 100% right all the time, at least with respect to this. I consider 5000 miles or a bit more on an oil change with a carbureted bike or fuel injected bike to be fine and analysis shows that to be true.

With respect to post 59. You don’t know me anymore than I know you, but the words say it all. I think I know a lot more about you now and most other folks do too. Ride on.

Last edited:
Why pick on just Amsoil, wouldn't that question go to any more expensive oil?
Heck, M1 isnt that far behind and Mobil is as huge as Walmart in the oil world.

I can tell you right now, Super Tech will not be smooth shifting to 5000 miles like Amsoil or Mobil 1 ... so right there is some proof over any number of other oils.
Ps. Dont think for a minute that the UOAs and VOAs in here are some kind of proof over how capable an oil is. Using 40 year old technology for testing the capability of a modern oil is worthless.
Yet time and again, M1 and Amsoil will prove superior shifting until the oil change at the expense of actually thickening up which is an unknown as far as if that is good or not. Most likely not and should still change at the required interval.
I think we’ve gotten past that stuff in September of last year, but I do agree with you as always that the better oils maintain shift quality and that is what separates them from the rest.

Friend lighten up, matters not how many miles are on my bike or how well it’s maintained. It matters that your statement is patently false.

So the multiple examples from various forums don't count in your mind? The all knowing Bonz says it isn't an issue. What world do you live in? If fuel dilution wasn't real why is it in every Blackstone report? Because YOUR report didn't have any fuel dilution, nobody else does? And speaking of your report, why dump oil at 5k if it still has a TBN of 6? Your head is so far up your own azz you can chew your food twice LMAO

Last edited:
So the multiple examples from various forums don't count in your mind? The all knowing Bonz says it isn't an issue. What world do you live in? If fuel dilution wasn't real why is it in every Blackstone report? Because YOUR report didn't have any fuel dilution, nobody else does? And speaking of your report, why dump oil at 5k if it still has a TBN of 6? Your head is so far up your own azz you can chew your food twice LMAO
Blackstone is not a good example for fuel dilution, they don't measure it directly and neither can they reliably measure viscosity. There's not much in that regard you can trust from their UOA.

Blackstone is not a good example for fuel dilution, they don't measure it directly and neither can they reliably measure viscosity. There's not much in that regard you can trust from their UOA.
The point is they include it in their reports. Why would they put in in their reports if they haven't seen it in oil samples? So obviously they think it's important.

Attachments

• Blackstone_OilAnalysis.JPG
    Blackstone_OilAnalysis.JPG
    163.8 KB · Views: 29
The point is they include it in their reports. Why would they put in in their reports if they haven't seen it in oil samples? So obviously they think it's important.
Their calculated fuel dilution numbers have at at times been shown to be wildly inaccurate on here. Besides being inferred from the flash point, flash point measurement in itself is not especially accurate. The ASTM tests for that value have a relatively low repeatability and reproducibility.

Perhaps an article from Blackstone might shine a little light on fuel dilution and carbs.

"Does the fact that I couldn’t get any fuel in the oil mean that idling, city driving, and frequent starts do NOT cause fuel dilution? We don’t think so. In some cases these things can cause fuel contamination, especially in carbureted engines"............well that just cannot be because Ace Mechanic on this board says it's not an issue ROTFL

Then we have Amsoil itself weighing in on fuel dilution.....

But again, Amsoil must be wrong because fuel dilution isn;t an issue to at least one member on this board......it can only be because of poor maintenance :)

Last edited:
The only problem is that it's not exactly true. Some selected basetocks come from Exxon Mobil but not all. Amsoil buys to specification not brand.
Everyone buys base oil to spec. There can be differences, some significant, between brands. However, once this is sorted out the differences between the remaining brands is in pricing.

Everyone buys base oil to spec. There can be differences, some significant, between brands. However, once this is sorted out the differences between the remaining brands is in pricing.
Well sure but what does this have to do with "(Exxon/Mobil is) base oil of choice to all their synthetics" ? Context was lost.

Pablo, how can I get some Amsoil from you, love to run it in my bike. Been running many oils over the years. Amsoil would be a nice comparison to the mix. 10w40 or 20w50 with the choice going to the higher z/p content.

Last edited:
Well sure but what does this have to do with "(Exxon/Mobil is) base oil of choice to all their synthetics" ? Context was lost.
Context was not lost. You that "some selected basestocks
Context was not lost. You said "Some selected basetocks come from Exxon Mobil but not all. Amsoil buys to specification not brand." Purchasing to a specification means that you buy from any supplier that meets spec. That is, you shop price. When you formulate as you describe the base fluid will be X% ExxonMobil + 100%-X% Generic BO. There's nothing wrong with that.

Context was not lost. You that "some selected basestocks

Context was not lost. You said "Some selected basetocks come from Exxon Mobil but not all. Amsoil buys to specification not brand." Purchasing to a specification means that you buy from any supplier that meets spec. That is, you shop price. When you formulate as you describe the base fluid will be X% ExxonMobil + 100%-X% Generic BO. There's nothing wrong with that.
OK BUT I was responding to the word "ALL". In the common use of the word, this would imply ALL as in ALWAYS ExxonMobil to exclude all other suppliers. People actually think Amsoil buys ALL of their base oil from ExxonMobil.

OK BUT I was responding to the word "ALL". In the common use of the word, this would imply ALL as in ALWAYS ExxonMobil to exclude all other suppliers. People actually think Amsoil buys ALL of their base oil from ExxonMobil.
Wouldn’t be a bad thing at all if ExxonMobil supplied Amsoil their MC base oil. ;) M1 10w40 4T and 20w50 VTwin are stout oils in my experience, which I feel has much to do with the base stock as to maintaining shift quality and staying in grade.

Wouldn’t be a bad thing at all if ExxonMobil supplied Amsoil their MC base oil. ;) M1 10w40 4T and 20w50 VTwin are stout oils in my experience, which I feel has much to do with the base stock as to maintaining shift quality and staying in grade.
True, but I guess I'm just trying to be factual.

Seems to me that the GTL used by some Shell products and some
Mobil 1 products would be superior to most other base stocks.
I don't think AMSOIL uses that base stock.
OF course, the end blend is what makes a good or better product in
any case..

My 2¢
You already gave your two cents worth and it's not even worth that. Clueless

Back