Amsoil -- What's The Difference?

Respectfully, show that Amsoil uses a different grade/better/superior version of additives than the same zinc, phosphorus, boron, moly, magnesium etc. that Warren distribution (Super Tech) or any number of other oils employ. I am not able to find the discussion however I recall it was fairly evident most if not all oil manufacturers regardless of the name on the bottle get them from a very short list of suppliers if not the same supplier.

Definitely don’t want to start an issue here, however every statement made with respect to this boutique oil doesn’t have a direct answer in the sense that it clears up any ambiguity with respect to being superior other than the marketing approach. I don’t believe oil analysis shows anything superior (or inferior) with respect to real world results.

Very happy to continue discussion and learn more about the performance edge Amsoil has with respect to a supplier that sells superior additives relative to another supplier.

In general I see very little, if anything at all, about where additives come from. It is my understanding the base oil is where the battle is fought when it comes to a superior used oil analysis and no mention is made of where the zinc, phosphorus etc. comes from. That being the case, that would say the additives most likely come from the same place for most oils.
If you think Super Tech is using the same quality and quantity of additives as Amsoil oil, you'd best think again.

I can only think that as a I’m not able to know the source. Are you able to do more than think (i.e to know, not think) that one oil, regardless of the manufacturer, is buying additives that are of higher quality than another? That would involve knowing the source and/or having a qualitative analysis done.

If you think Super Tech is using the same quality and quantity of additives as Amsoil oil, you'd best think again.
Things have price points associated with material costs … but the consumer is the final judge of value.
Seems to me the Mobil 1 most comparable to Amsoil SS could not draw the price it needed to survive

Things have price points associated with material costs … but the consumer is the final judge of value.
Seems to me the Mobil 1 most comparable to Amsoil SS could not draw the price it needed to survive
Materials costs are certainly part of that equation. Marketing costs that sway opinion but don’t sway real-world results, and desired profit are part of it as well, which have little to do with the quality of materials.

I think we all know the oils we are tossing around in this discussion are great at what they do. To each his own and best of health and deposit free life to your engine!

Materials costs are certainly part of that equation. Marketing costs that sway opinion but don’t sway real-world results, and desired profit are part of it as well, which have little to do with the quality of materials.

I think we all know the oils we are tossing around in this discussion are great at what they do. To each his own and best of health and deposit free life to your engine!
What real world results ?

Desired profits? Everyone wants huge profits but you've got to earn them with a quality product. To imply boutique oils are mostly marketing without the substance to back it up is just crazy.

No qualms with them. It goes without saying they make a quality product, I want to be fair handed so apologies for coming across the way I did.

What real world results ?

I was simply saying that people can see marketing and think that a product is the next best thing to sliced bread. But when the product is put into use, the product turns out to be no better or worse when it comes to the observed results vs the competition. Like I said in the above post, I apologize for coming across the way I did, Amsoil makes a solid product as testified by many users and good UOA’s.

years ago amsoil noted the use of real synthetic base oils, PAO + prolly some Ester as is common, BUT today who knows!! prolly a better product but quite $$$$ Mobil synthetics USED to be REAL as well until the Castol using Group III selling as synthetic before it was legal as it is now. only the blender knows for sure whats in your oil!!! surely some oils are better + cost more to make hence higher pricing + real synthetics are superior + beneficial in extreme conditions, your choice for sure + a lot to learn about oils check out the OIL 101 etc on our forum to learn a lot, BUT not everything!!!

years ago amsoil noted the use of real synthetic base oils, PAO + prolly some Ester as is common, BUT today who knows!! prolly a better product but quite $$$$ Mobil synthetics USED to be REAL as well until the Castol using Group III selling as synthetic before it was legal as it is now. only the blender knows for sure whats in your oil!!! surely some oils are better + cost more to make hence higher pricing + real synthetics are superior + beneficial in extreme conditions, your choice for sure + a lot to learn about oils check out the OIL 101 etc on our forum to learn a lot, BUT not everything!!!
Just shoot me.

Do you ever read and digest responses made to your posts? It has always been legal to sell a Group III base stock oil as synthetic. It has never been illegal here in the US. Not once, not for a moment, not ever.

Just shoot me.

Do you ever read and digest responses made to your posts? It has always been legal to sell a Group III base stock oil as synthetic. It has never been illegal here in the US. Not once, not for a moment, not ever.
Apparently they don't. They just have an idea stuck in their head and facts don't matter.

Call me crazy but I dont know why the "knock" on Amsoil or their pricing.
We are in a motorcycle forum and both Mobil 1 and Amsoil Motorcycle oils are around the same price.

I may not say this often and might surprise some but Pablo is right on point with his post above.
People in here relying on data from a method of testing for "elements" in VOA and UOAs devised over a half century ago and think they can use that information to determine the quality of an oil?
Sorry, but not even close, modern motor oil is far different then 50 years ago but people still looking for the same exact elements and then judge an oil?

Last edited:
Good truth in that alarmguy. (y)

I’d be willing to try some Amsoil if I can pick it up at the local store or have it delivered or whatever, for about $10 a quart. Usually I wait until M1 10w40 4T or 20w50 V-Twin comes on sale on ebay and pick it up for a good bit less over the winter typically.

Yes it's the finished lubricant and not the base oil that determines the overall quality of the lubricant. That's why I pay less attention to base oil composition and pay more attention to used oil analyses.
Amsoil may contract with ExxonMobil to provide base oils, but I don't think that means Amsoil is equivalent to Mobil 1.

Yes it's the finished lubricant and not the base oil that determines the overall quality of the lubricant. That's why I pay less attention to base oil composition and pay more attention to used oil analyses.

Approvals, certifications, and licenses beat both.

And used oil analysis is far more about the specific engine and the operating conditions rather than the specific lubricant.

Amsoil may contract with ExxonMobil to provide base oils, but I don't think that means Amsoil is equivalent to Mobil 1.

Just to put a spin on things ...
For all we know, Exxon/Mobil may contract with Warren oil or Citgo for the "Motorcycle" adpack.

When I was riding I decided to try the M1 10-40 motorcycle oil. This was in a shared sump/wet clutch Japanese 600. I had to dump it as the shifting was very notchy. Much worse than the Honda oil from the dealer. That oil got strained and run about 5000 miles in my 1985 Honda Civic, could not waste it.

I replaced it with Amsoil motorcycle 10-40. Huge difference. Shifting was transformed. Best shifting Japanese bike I have ever been on.

Last edited:
Back