Amsoil users please advise

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 2005 Century with 14L 60 series Detroit,just over 900,000 miles. It is an egr engine but it is turned off. I was going to change to synthetic for extended oil changes and hoping for better mpg. I'm told some of the drivers here in WI are using the Amsoil series 3000 5w-30 I believe with bypass filter. I don't use any oil between 20,000 mile oil change now and my mechanic says if I change to synthetic I may have leaks.

Is leaking a real problem? If not does anyone have a recommendation about the Amsoil series 3000 5w-30? Anyone seeing increase in mpg or other benifits?

I would stick with the AME15w-40 with that many miles. You can try the 5w-30 and see how it works, but from the other OTR drivers I have talked to when the mileage on their engines got that high they noticed that oil consumption increased with the HDD5w-30. They did see a mpg increase by 2% or so.

The real benefit is being able to increase your oil drain intervals.

Hi,
jim3029 - I have extensive experience with these engines in my own fleet

I would suggest that you consider using Delvac 1 5W-40 if the engine has had regular OCIs on a compliant lubricant

My average OCI was around 58k miles (80kkms) - all my trucks had Mann-Hummel centrifuge by-pass filters and oil consumption averaged 1 ltr/6000kms

The lubricant condemnation limit was eithe Fe (150ppm) or Soot (around 4%) - whichever came first

I wouldn't focus on mpg gains when using Amsoil. Although they say you will see gains, they are extremely minor. As someone said in an earlier post, the main benefit is expended OCIs if using a bypass filter(s).

I also wouldn't worry about leaking. If the engine was serviced with proper oil and oil change intervals, synthetic oil shouldn't cause sudden leaks to appear out of nowhere. That is an old oil myth.

Originally Posted By: jim3029
I have a 2005 Century with 14L 60 series Detroit,just over 900,000 miles. It is an egr engine but it is turned off. I was going to change to synthetic for extended oil changes and hoping for better mpg. I'm told some of the drivers here in WI are using the Amsoil series 3000 5w-30 I believe with bypass filter. I don't use any oil between 20,000 mile oil change now and my mechanic says if I change to synthetic I may have leaks.

Is leaking a real problem? If not does anyone have a recommendation about the Amsoil series 3000 5w-30? Anyone seeing increase in mpg or other benifits?

Thanks for asking about Amsoil. It's always interesting to see others who have never actually used Amsoil instantly recommend other products.

First I would not recommend other viscosities straight away or perhaps start with the 5W-30 HDD during the winter only. My general recommendation is a couple extended runs with the 15W-40 AME and see what the UOA is telling you.

Unless you already have leaks, synthetic oil will not cause leaks.

Anyway please contact me for an Amsoil Commercial Account. Thanks!

Hi,
Wow - Pablo - You said this:

"It's always interesting to see others who have never actually used Amsoil instantly recommend other products."

Actually, I have used Amsoil products - just not cost effectively!

One great aspect of BITOG is sharing experience and knowledge - and I did just that in my Post!

Using a non specified viscosity is always a challenge!!!

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Doug Hillary

Hi,

"It's always interesting to see others who have never actually used Amsoil instantly recommend other products."

One great aspect of BITOG is sharing experience and knowledge - and I did just that in my Post!

I did write that because you wrote "I would suggest that you consider using Delvac......"

But you didn't even try to answer the questions.

Hi,

Hi Doug- The word of someone in the industry as long as you, with your experience and credentials is certainly worth listening to.

You changed your post and you changed what you have posted in the past. Previously you posted you had no experience with Amsoil products. Interesting. Which products? When? I do agree, Amsoil prices in Australia are crazy.

Hi,
Pablo - I certainly won't submit to interrogation by you, and please check the reason for the change to my Post - "Accuracy-Spelling"

To answer the OP, it is unlikely that leaking will occur if a conforming high quality lubricant had been used from new. Most leaking/seapage occurs from removing build up on seal face/contact areas typically accruing amongst other factors from unsuitable lubricants. The same applies to viscosity and the reason I would not endorse a drop in viscosity without more knowledge of the application

As for an increase in fuel economy, a huge number of factors come in to play with heavy vehicle operation. To name a few, operating gross weight, empty/loaded % of use, number of axles and wheels, cp or radial tyres, aerodynamic add ons, type of trailer etc etc. The lubricant's role here is only truely significant at cold start (number per operating cycle/ambient) and at idle. To most it is judged as insignificant considering the foot driver's foot on the accellerator or brakes has the greatest influence of all

Hi,
Pablo - I certainly won't submit to interrogation by you......

Interrogation? Please. Throughout the past you have been quite ignorant of Amsoil products. Sometimes insulting, but mostly just lacking knowledge of the product lines. Now for the first time you claim to have used Amsoil. It's interesting and naturally I am curious. Feel free to PM me with your experiences if you wish. Thanks.

Hi,
Pablo - Please be professional - this comment is simply offensive and your slant on the issue!

"Throughout the past you have been quite ignorant of Amsoil products."

Ignorant? - I do declare........ I have probably used and/or field tested more lubricant Brands than you have. These include Total, FUCHS, Ore-Lube, LubriMoly, SupercorteMaggiore, Duckhams, Penrite and many others. Of course working closely with/for engine Manufacturers FIAT, Alfa Romeo, Lancia, Daimler AG, Ford Cologne, Volvo, BMC etc and oil Companies such as Shell, Esso, Mobil, Castrol and Caltex-Chevron helps a bit too!

Hi,
Pablo - Please be professional - this comment is simply offensive and your slant on the issue!

"Throughout the past you have been quite ignorant of Amsoil products."

Ignorant? - I do declare........ I have probably used and/or field tested more lubricant Brands than you have. These include Total, FUCHS, Ore-Lube, LubriMoly, SupercorteMaggiore, Duckhams, Penrite and many others. Of course working closely with/for engine Manufacturers FIAT, Alfa Romeo, Lancia, Daimler AG, Ford Cologne, Volvo, BMC etc and oil Companies such as Shell, Esso, Mobil, Castrol and Caltex-Chevron helps a bit too!

I am being 100% professional. And I meant what I wrote. You have always lacked knowledge of Amsoil products. Ignorant = "showing lack of knowledge....of the thing specified" Please don't take things so personally. Listing all your past associations is not really telling me much about your knowledge of Amsoil. Mostly you have made assumptions about the products in the past, demonstrating no direct knowledge.

Hi,
Pablo - You do nothing for yourself or Amsoil products by such exchanges

I have never denigrated Amsoil's products. Mostly I have pointed - out based on experience - that in many cases they will not be cost effective!

I answered the OP's questions as best I could - Pablo, go take a shower!!!

Last edited:
Hi,
Pablo - You do nothing for yourself or Amsoil products by such exchanges

I answered the OP's questions as best I could - Pablo, go take a shower!!!

lol.gif
banana2.gif
Trolling.gif

Take a shower???

I'm glad you did answer the question. But not in your first post. I would say your reputation is not raised by recommending products right off the bat and not in the topic of discussion.

Doug - do your really expect to NEVER be challenged? Is that what bothers you so much?

Surely if Doug had wide ranging experience with the same vehicle the OP is using and has found Delvac to be a more cost effective product, alongside as sensible reasoning that shows the main consideration being extended drains rather than any small increase in fuel consumption.

There is obviously some form of history between Doug and Pablo on which I don't think needs me commenting on.

Lets see Doug vs. Pablo in which oil to use? I'd vote Doug, even if he didn't use Amsoil. Its salesman vs. someone with decades of experience with Fleet maintenance. Sorry I'm not taking sides but an oil salesman with an agenda vs. an industry expert. Come on.

Originally Posted By: Pablo

Anyway please contact me for an Amsoil Commercial Account. Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back