I put FRAM 5w-40 in my 2022 6.7

I see no reviews on this oil. With the cold weather hitting I changed out my rotella T5 10w-30 diesel oil and put in FRAM full synthetic 5w-40 diesel oil. I’m a 3-5k mile oil change type of guy.

Anyway I know a lot of people don’t like FRAM because of their orange cans of death but I think Amalie makes their oil. The FRAM 5w-40 meets the specs for it so I decided to try it out. I’ll probably change it out at 4k miles

I was using the 10w30 semi synthetics instead of the rare and elusive full synthetic 10w-30 because I don’t leave the oil in that long and I don’t want to spend 180$ for amsoil since I do frequent oil changes

I also always cool the turbocharger down for at least two minutes before I **** the truck off and I always let the oil warm up before applying on boost on the turbo

Not sure how often Ford updates the above list of approved oils, but if it doesn't have the Ford spec approval/recommendation/meets/exceeds marketing, I wouldn't use it. I believe this is an Amalie product and the HDEO from Amalie claims the "meets or exceeds" so you should be good to go.

http://www.amalie.com/Heavy-Duty-Diesel/XLO-Ultimate-Full-Synthetic/5W-40 has the like for both PDF's, data and sds(which looks very close to link above)

Not sure how often Ford updates the above list of approved oils, but if it doesn't have the Ford spec approval/recommendation/meets/exceeds marketing, I wouldn't use it. I believe this is an Amalie product and the HDEO from Amalie claims the "meets or exceeds" so you should be good to go.

http://www.amalie.com/Heavy-Duty-Diesel/XLO-Ultimate-Full-Synthetic/5W-40 has the like for both PDF's, data and sds(which looks very close to link above)

It’s a 6.7 Cummins and it meets CES 20086 (which I believe 20086 supersedes 20081) as well as ck-4

Last edited:
By the way, should I run 5w-40 year round? I was a little shocked when I opened up the RAM owners manual and saw they recommend 10w-30 when temps are
North of 0 degrees and they only recommend 5w-40 ONLY for temperature south of 0 degrees.. I found it odd they didn’t recommend 5w-40 for temps
North of 105 degrees…

Is the 10w-30 recommendation really about CAFE?

Yes, low additive levels in the oil along with thin MPG improving oil.... we'll save the environment by destroying your engine so that you buy an electric truck next time :ROFLMAO:

Ford put a higher minimum additive limit on their diesel oils additive package. Not sure if any other specs has that minimum requirement, meaning Ford understands that some oils are just too envirogreenie. Its good for all engines.

Yes, low additive levels in the oil along with thin MPG improving oil.... we'll save the environment by destroying your engine so that you buy an electric truck next time :ROFLMAO:

Ford put a higher minimum additive limit on their diesel oils additive package. Not sure if any other specs has that minimum requirement, meaning Ford understands that some oils are just too envirogreenie. Its good for all engines.

That’s what I thought.. I know big daddy fed frowns upon the xw-40 oils and they frown upon engines with a long life but I want the best oil for longevity..

That’s what I thought.. I know big daddy fed frowns upon the xw-40 oils and they frown upon engines with a long life but I want the best oil for longevity..
Where did you learn that about 40-grade oils? Same place you know that a lot of people don't like Fram orange cans?

It wasn't here on Bitog, was it?

Where did you learn that about 40-grade oils? Same place you know that a lot of people don't like Fram orange cans?

It wasn't here on Bitog, was it?

Recommending a thinner oil for the sake of fuel economy is a typical EPA government critter thing to do..

Even on the back of rotella T5 they brag about how their 10w-30 acts like a 15w-40 grade oil..

When I took delivery of my 3500 I was confused as to the recommendation of the 10w-30 diesel oil and that they only recommend the 5w-40 for temperature south of 0 degrees.. I started connecting the dots.. I know not to put 15w-40 in a 2019+ MY

Recommending a thinner oil for the sake of fuel economy is a typical EPA government critter thing to do..

Even on the back of rotella T5 they brag about how their 10w-30 acts like a 15w-40 grade oil..

When I took delivery of my 3500 I was confused as to the recommendation of the 10w-30 diesel oil and that they only recommend the 5w-40 for temperature south of 0 degrees.. I started connecting the dots.. I know not to put 15w-40 in a 2019+ MY
So you would put a 5w40 in but not a 15w40? At operating temperature they’re both 40 weights.

Very carefully read the "findings" in the above link. If you've read numerous journals/papers/studies, you'll find see the wear data increase, and all nodding in unison that protection is good enough. No one will state that the wear increases... but it will have 'acceptable' protection however that is defined.

And, Fords opinion here:

I also lost the article that some companies were begging for more zddp for their 8, 12, and 16 grade oils. But, the greenie movement won't increase the zddp and you'll just have to accept the increase in wear.

And yes, if the weather allows a 15w40 synthetic oil, by all means, its an option.

However, higher viscosity oils generally offer better wear protection to the engine’s moving parts. The challenge, therefore, is to find an engine oil that balances fuel economy and engine protection.

I’m sure that some of you are thinking that the viscosity is so low that it doesn’t protect adequately against wear. That doesn’t seem to be a problem, since we’ve been running vehicles on pretty low-viscosity oils for quite some time. My view is that additive technology has partially solved that gap, and the addition of partial or fully synthetic base oils has aided in the performance improvements we’re seeing today, too.

What gap? that wear increases with the thin oil MPG increase? I don't want it partially solved. I want it fully solved in my engine.

Last edited:
So you would put a 5w40 in but not a 15w40? At operating temperature they’re both 40 weights.

It’s the cold cranking of 15w-40 at cold temps when the 15w-40 is thick as honey. Has to do with the hydraulic lifters

I have a 2018 Ram 3500 with the Cummins 6.7. I use Rotella T6 5W-40 year round in S. Indiana. I do change it often-only put about 8,000 miles per year on the truck. Warranty requires 6 months oil changes, and warranty is for 8 years, 80,000 miles. T6 is a little spendy, but these trucks are not consumer oriented. So far, no issues and meets warranty requirement.

I run HPL 5w40 year round in my 21 6.7L 3500 in Phoenix weather previously was in WY couldn’t be happier. Not saying an oil is best but you want one that comes highly recommended on this site HPL will not disappoint.

The oil with the 5W rating is going to be thick as honey in the cold as well.

Are you sure about that? Have you ever put a quart of 0w-40, 5w-40 and 15w-40 in a freezer for at least two hours and then do a pour test on each one?

Yes, all thick as honey. But all least the 0w and 5w can pour quicker, can be pumped easier, and above all, can return back to the pan considerably quicker than a 15w40. There will always be an optimum temp range for every grade, and various brands/type of oil within that grade too. I just don't understand the point someone is trying to make.

Yes all of it dependent on temperature since at almost any low temperature they are both “honey”. But the 5W is guaranteed to be pumpable honey at -30 or so. Pouring doesn’t mean much here since the oil is being pumped under pressure.

What temperature are we talking about exactly?

Are you sure about that? Have you ever put a quart of 0w-40, 5w-40 and 15w-40 in a freezer for at least two hours and then do a pour test on each one?
You ever put a 10w30 next to a 5w40 at say 5F you ain’t going to see a Difference but yet 10w30 is recommended hmmm.

Back