Amsoil thickening and long drains....

Status
Not open for further replies.
quote:

Originally posted by pscholte:

quote:

Originally posted by Patman:
If I don't get the car before next weekend I swear I'm going to explode.
freak2.gif

Quick, Pat! Drink some of the Green Elixer of Tension and Friction Reduction...no matter how much your internals heat up, you won't explode...you've got to trust me on this one.
wink.gif

I keep looking at my stash of GC in the basement and am eager to put 7L of it in the new car!
smile.gif
I even bought two K&N oil filters for it back in the middle of June! So I'm ready to go!
smile.gif

You're right about my posting frequency dropping a bit at first, as I plan on driving all over the place with this car when I get it! I plan on going out for a drive on every lunch hour from work for the first little while!
smile.gif
It'll probably take me only 8 weeks to do my first 5000 miles in it.
fruit.gif

(PS-sorry for hijacking your thread Pablo)
frown.gif

(Me too, Pablo...but when "the Muse" strikes it is so hard to stay focused...but while we are on a siding...7 ltrs for that engine?...didn't realize it had that large a sump...the A6 only takes 7.3 qts!)

PS You could always hire a stenographer with a wireless to send and receive emails real time while you are driving.
grin.gif

The UOA is for my race car. I high Octane gas and sometimes add a bottle of MMT to my gas tank. This oil was used for 15 months including 5000 street miles and 10 race events. I say the oil protected my engine very good.

quote:

Originally posted by Patman:
When I get my Corvette next week

offtopic.gif
Wow when did this happen! Now this is a "full size" corvette, not one of those 1:38 scale diecast ones, like my Jaguar S-Type and my Ford Super Duty F-250
grin.gif
. Of course you'll post pics of your "new baby"
cool.gif

Whimsey

quote:

Originally posted by pscholte:
(Me too, Pablo...but when "the Muse" strikes it is so hard to stay focused...but while we are on a siding...7 ltrs for that engine?...didn't realize it had that large a sump...the A6 only takes 7.3 qts!)

It's actual listed capacity is 6.5 quarts, but it's also a well known fact that the LS1 can handle one quart extra oil, GM even has a video for the Corvette where their engineers suggest running one quart more if you road race the car.

I had Amsoil 15W-40 Diesel & Marine thicken to 16.8 cSt after only 5,000 miles in a VW TDI. Sampled again at 6,300 to double check some numbers and it still came out 16.8. My soot was only 0.5% so I cannot believe it was soot thickening
dunno.gif

I cannot imagine why it should thicken so, in such a interval.

Tim

Getting back on track here, Molekule stated it could be from poor anti-oxidants and something else with the base oils. All oils will usually thicken over time. It only appears to be certain Amsoil grades. 0w-30 S2k was really bad at one point. Every UOA we saw came back as a mid 40wt. Problem with that is if you want a 30wt and good fuel economy, your not going to get it when the oil thickens.

"Could be" is the key term. Some have suggested some thickening is a designed feature....

As for AME thickening in short intervals, I have never seen this, some shearing yes, but this thickening no. Curious.

When I used the AmsoilS2k 0-30 it thicken a bit but never saw an issue to it...I don't know but it gave good wear numbers...Maybe it's made that way for some reason...
dunno.gif

I'll probably get
itschy.gif
for asking, but what now is the point of this lengthy debate? In other words what is a few centistokes among friends?

quote:

In other words what is a few centistokes among friends?

Good point. Here is where the argument stems from. In the 3MP test, Terry and 3MP don't like the fact that Amsoil, which is already close to a 40wt, became a 40wt. Their argument is if they wanted a 40wt they would have used one. On a % basis, Amsoil is fine. Now, if your concerned about MPG, then an oil that starts as a 30wt and becomes a 40wt, isn't good. I personally look it on a % basis and like the fact that Amsoil formulates on the high end.

BTW checkout Terry's GC with LC. This is the ticket in some engines of running long drains and keeping the oil in grade as Terry has been saying for awhile.

[ August 01, 2004, 06:04 PM: Message edited by: buster ]

quote:

Now, if your concerned about MPG, then an oil that starts as a 30wt and becomes a 40wt, isn't good.

If you buy a high 30 wt. and thickens slightly to a low 40 wt., what really is the difference in fuel economy?? Now on the other hand, if you go from a low 30 wt. and then end up with a good thick 40 wt. I can see the fuel economy argument.

I agree with Buster, looking at % thickened is a better gauge. I think if we all chose the correct viscosity oil based on cSt instead of SAE grade, we wouldn't have this argument as much.
cheers.gif

OK - so my AME thickened by 8.4% in only 5000 miles...at least it didn't thicken anymore over the next 1,300 miles. And Fe was only 7ppm.

On the other hand, my mileage still averaged 58mpg running that thick stuff...so who is to complain?

Tim

[ August 01, 2004, 08:43 PM: Message edited by: Tim ]

Every brand has their strengths and weaknesses.

Royal Purple- Shears down
Mobil 1 - High Fe
Amsoil - Thickens in certain oils.
Redline- High Wear, low TBN.

Take your pick.

quote:

Originally posted by buster:
BTW checkout Terry's GC with LC. This is the ticket in some engines of running long drains and keeping the oil in grade as Terry has been saying for awhile. [/QB]

Buster,

I assume GC is German Castrol? What is LC? Where are these results?

Don

Even the best synlubes will thicken by an SAE grade over the course of a 15k to 25k drain interval. This is completely normal and results in a very slight loss in fuel efficiency. Provided the oil still flows well in cold weather, wear rates are affected very little if at all ....For example, the Amsoil 5w-30 may thicken to a 5w-40/10w-40 after 15,000 miles and any modern engine will function just fine with this SAE grade.

Oil analysis isn't a beauty contest - what really matters are maintaining low wear rates and a high level of engine cleanliness. My 25+ years of experience with Amsoil has shown you can accomplish this with drain intervals of 15,000 miles/1 year. I've never felt the need to run my oil longer than 15,000 miles, unless I was overtesting it on purpose.

Tooslick
www.lubedealer.com/Dixie_Synthetics

So why does the S2k 0W30 thicken in 3000-4000 miles in my Tahoe (5.3L)? In the winter it was because of the cold wx, and short trips, now in the summer it's because I am running it over 400 miles each weekend in the mountains.

Hmmm, sounds fishy. BTW, I also ask Amsoil Tech the same question about a day before Pablo did, but I did not get a response.

I think I'll go back to Mobil One. Enough of the Amsoil experiment for me. BTW, M1 0W30 had a visc of 10.49 when it was tested in my engine; so I doubt engine failure.

Cheers, Doug

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back