Amsoil SSO 5w-30 how many gallons burned til chang

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys

01 sierra c2 6.0 engine.

Alright since its winter and there are significantly more idle hours on the oil I figure fuel burned would be the best method to go with.
Since this is the 25000 mile oil what's the general consensus on how many gallons burned til it's expired. The truck monitors fuel burned,miles,average speed,mileage and pretty much everything that can be monitored so I've got a lot of easily accessed data to qualify an oil change.
I'm at 210 gallons now. Oil is black however it still feels like new oil between my fingers,smells like fuel however that comes and goes depending on whether I'm in the city or my miles are mostly highway.
I read somewhere here that someone thought 700 gallons for SSO was doable. If that's the case I could settle a 600 gallons just to be safe.
So I'm breaking new ground here. What's the general consensus. How many gallons til it's done.

Depends on the efficiency of the engine, as all are different. 4-6-8 cyl, etc. Too much worrying over oil. Just change it every 10-12K(miles not KMs) and rest easy.

Color of the oil doesnt matter. Oil smelling of gas would prompt me to change it. I would trust my nose more than an OLM.

Hmmm... And from the title, I thought it was gallons of oil being burned...,

So, my answer was going to be "never"....

But, I would go with something less than the number of gallons that it takes to go 25,000 miles... Have you considered a Hobbs meter? Then it would be hours, which would be my recommendation, vs gallons.

Originally Posted By: Clevy

So I'm breaking new ground here. What's the general consensus. How many gallons til it's done.

no, you are not, this was discussed here before (long time ago). a formula was also posted for calculating oil intervals based on miles, gallons, and sump volume. Based on those calculation, my fuel efficient toyota cars were about at 200 gallons, this was for dino oil though. However, I never used it as I don't track gallons that closely.

I have always liked the gallons burned as a measure of OCI. It takes into account idle time and if you are harder on the vehicle (lots of city driving) it will accumulate faster than something relatively easy (highway).
If I went with a 500 gallon OCI I would probably end up with around a 7500mi interval. If I drove all highway maybe 12000mi.
That would be conservative since I have PUP in my LX.
I just never track fuel burned.
I may actually try it though. It was full when I changed it, and Ive burnt a half tank twice. So about 20 gallons.

Irregardless of claims, anytime I go beyond anything recommended by the OEM, I do oil sampling. Personal or commercial engines, it doesn't matter. I generally will go outside the boundary of what the OEM has specified, but I do it with knowledge and not marketing or feeling.

The severe mile,time recommendation of the oil or the recommendations on the manufacture, and on a passenger car engine its probably the severe recommended oil change. No meet to try to out think something simple. Or the hard core method is to send in a sample to the lab or the blotter test for fuel dilution.

The generation of GM car/truck has an intelligent oil life monitor, doesn't it? Why try to do its work? Just go by the monitor: I suspect fuel used is one of the parameters it uses anyway.

If you believe Amsoil has magical properties that make it more robust in your extended-idling regimen than whatever oil was designed into the IOLM, let the monitor go off and run a month or two extra.

Originally Posted By: Clevy
Since this is the 25000 mile oil what's the general consensus on how many gallons burned til it's expired.

25,000 miles would be under ideal conditions, such as all hwy driving, correct? What does that truck get on the hwy? 13 MPG?

25,000 miles / 13 MPG = 1,923 gallons.

But that seems like quite a lot when you're mostly idling.

FYI, my BMW's OLM is programmed at 627 gallons (assuming LL-01 oil), but that's kind of apples to oranges comparison here...

Come on Clevy. You're running the best extended change interval oil and you're concerned about a few hundred gallons of gas?

I just did 725 gallons of gas to an OCI on my 01 6.0L Silverado with 2 quarts of makeup oil:
Motul 8100 5W30, 10,002 miles, 2001 Silverado 2500HD

We've heard you talk the talk on disposing serviceable oil. Now it's time to walk the walk.

Amsoil recently added a 700 hour limit to the SS line for those that do alot of idling. I would think hours would be the most consistent standard.

Originally Posted By: CentAmDL650
Come on Clevy. You're running the best extended change interval oil and you're concerned about a few hundred gallons of gas?

I just did 725 gallons of gas to an OCI on my 01 6.0L Silverado with 2 quarts of makeup oil:
Motul 8100 5W30, 10,002 miles, 2001 Silverado 2500HD

We've heard you talk the talk on disposing serviceable oil. Now it's time to walk the walk.

Exactly my point. We have similar trucks. A c3 is a sierra with an upgraded 6.0 engine with 325hp/375tq.
I wasn't implying the fuel I've burned is even close to the condemnation point of the oil yet,merely a reference point of where the truck is currently.
So are we saying 700 hours for a truck that idles a lot then?
The truck timer says I'm at 212hrs iirc.
If it's -25c or colder I start it and let it run til it's blowing warm air. Not that the cold bothers me however I have just jumped in and rolled at those temps and within 2 minutes inside the vehicle just breathing frosts up the inside of the windshield enough that visibility is hindered to the point I have to pull over.
I'll admit I would have thought fuel burned was the best way to go only because oil contamination could be measured and tracked,instead of hourly which contamination could vary wildly depending if engine is idling or doing 70 down the highway.
Summertime I run 10k intervals but the only idling the truck does is in traffic or at a stoplight. Mind you I'm also not using Amsoil either,just on sale syns.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back