GDI 1.6 Kia stopped burning oil.

I have owned my 2018 Kia Rio since 2019. I purchased the car preowned with 32k miles on the odo. I am currently sitting at 69k+ mi. I do mixed driving with alot of high speed interstate and freeway, and avoid stop and go scenarios whenever possible. I do 5k mile OCI with synthetic. I started with 5-20 but have since switched to 5-30 around the 55k mark. I noticed that around 40k miles the engine began to consume about a 1/2 quart right at the 3k mile marker into the OC. I have tried different oils and all seemed to begin to burn off right at 3k. I top off, and would be good until i changed it at 5k. I was curious if switching to 5-30 would make a difference and it did not. This engine has always darkened the oil quickly. Right around 3k mi it is diesel engine dark. I had accepted the burning and just figured it is what it is….until i tried valvoline ep 5-30 with a fram ultra on my last change. I have used the ultra filters before, but had never tried valvoline ep in the past mainly due to cost when performing “short” OCI’s. I did my routine level check at 3k and for the first time the oil level still sat at the full mark on the dip stick. I also noticed that the oil had retained its amber color with only a slight change in the hue. I am now about 800 miles away from a change and checked the level again, and i am still on the full mark, or maybe even a little bit higher, though it may be from checking the level in a gravel driveway. The rise in level is around a mm so i am not sure if fuel dilution is an accurate assumption.. I have never noticed fuel dilution through a raising of the level on the dip stick, but with it burning off on oci’s prior there is no way i would have known. I have never done an analysis on the used engine oil. What could be going on here? Is it possible that valvoline ep formulation just dosent burn off in this car, and why is the oil retaining its color? I have noticed a dip in fuel mileage over the last 10k -15k miles, and i feel like i need to check my intake valves for carbon deposits, but that is something i will do in the fall or winter. I am probably going to stick with valvoline ep in the future and see how it goes. I have tried all other big store brand name synthetics and all resulted in burning. Thank you for any and all input. I came back to edit and add that the dip in fuel mileage occurred around the same time that i switched from 5-20 to 5-30. I have read many scenarios on this forum with people stating that a change in weight did not effect their MPG so im not sure if there is a correlation there or not. I have taken a 5-8 mpg hit. I also noticed the car did not “feel” as peppy with the heavier weight oil…. Once agin i have read on here that it would be impossible to perceive a difference but i “feel” like there was. Please dont butcher me over the last 2 statements :) Thanks

Last edited:
Just curious, what oil were you using before the Valvoline?
Would also like to add that i have always used cheap filers since i run such a short oci, but have now used mobil 1 filter, and fram ultra now for the last 2 changes. I realize it is perceived as “a waste” to use higher end filters for short oci, but i was curious as to if better filters may help clean up the oil and cut down on possible ring deposits, so i gave them a shot regardless of their cost. When i do my next change, i plan on cutting open the ultra that i am currently running and have a look see as to what is going on.

You switched to 5w30 at 55k . You're at 68k, and you tried all oils in that 13k window.

Well, obviously, your previous 10 oil changes cleaned up the engine so that the V-EP has nothing to do.

You switched to 5w30 at 55k . You're at 68k, and you tried all oils in that 13k window.

Well, obviously, your previous 10 oil changes cleaned up the engine so that the V-EP has nothing to do.
No sir i had previously run 5-20. Sorry i went back and checked my original post. The mpg dip began 3 changes ago, so about 15k miles. Last 3 changes i have run 5-30 in super tech, qsfs, and now valvoline ep. I will edit original post. I just find it interesting that the sustained oil level as well as retention in hue happened over this last change. Is it possible that if i did have ring deposits that they would just let loose in such a manner? Thanks went back and checked and i had posted current mileage as 68k. I am currently at 69,247 to be exact. Next change is at 70k.

Last edited:
I have the same engine in my Kia Soul and shortly after I brought it home with 12k miles on it, I changed out the 5w20 and replaced it with 5w30 and didn’t notice any drop in mpg or power. It averages around 34mpg.

I’ve used that Valvoline before and liked it but as always the oil was coal black by 3k miles when I change it. I have a mixture of that oil in right now and still get good mpg.

Maybe something else is going on with your car? I don’t think the oil is causing that much of a change in mpg.

I have owned my 2018 Kia Rio since 2019. I purchased the car preowned with 32k miles on the odo. I am currently sitting at 69k+ mi. I do mixed driving with alot of high speed interstate and freeway, and avoid stop and go scenarios whenever possible. I do 5k mile OCI with synthetic. I started with 5-20 but have since switched to 5-30 around the 55k mark. I noticed that around 40k miles the engine began to consume about a 1/2 quart right at the 3k mile marker into the OC. I have tried different oils and all seemed to begin to burn off right at 3k. I top off, and would be good until i changed it at 5k. I was curious if switching to 5-30 would make a difference and it did not. This engine has always darkened the oil quickly. Right around 3k mi it is diesel engine dark. I had accepted the burning and just figured it is what it is….until i tried valvoline ep 5-30 with a fram ultra on my last change. I have used the ultra filters before, but had never tried valvoline ep in the past mainly due to cost when performing “short” OCI’s. I did my routine level check at 3k and for the first time the oil level still sat at the full mark on the dip stick. I also noticed that the oil had retained its amber color with only a slight change in the hue. I am now about 800 miles away from a change and checked the level again, and i am still on the full mark, or maybe even a little bit higher, though it may be from checking the level in a gravel driveway. The rise in level is around a mm so i am not sure if fuel dilution is an accurate assumption.. I have never noticed fuel dilution through a raising of the level on the dip stick, but with it burning off on oci’s prior there is no way i would have known. I have never done an analysis on the used engine oil. What could be going on here? Is it possible that valvoline ep formulation just dosent burn off in this car, and why is the oil retaining its color? I have noticed a dip in fuel mileage over the last 10k -15k miles, and i feel like i need to check my intake valves for carbon deposits, but that is something i will do in the fall or winter. I am probably going to stick with valvoline ep in the future and see how it goes. I have tried all other big store brand name synthetics and all resulted in burning. Thank you for any and all input. I came back to edit and add that the dip in fuel mileage occurred around the same time that i switched from 5-20 to 5-30. I have read many scenarios on this forum with people stating that a change in weight did not effect their MPG so im not sure if there is a correlation there or not. I have taken a 5-8 mpg hit. I also noticed the car did not “feel” as peppy with the heavier weight oil…. Once agin i have read on here that it would be impossible to perceive a difference but i “feel” like there was. Please dont butcher me over the last 2 statements :) Thanks
Differences in weights can be noticeable in mpg reduction. Seems like 5-8 is rather large.

Last edited:

Hard to say what gets credit for the consumption since he's used so many different oils but switching oil brands can make a difference. I'd stick with the Valvoline EP.

I have the same engine in my Kia Soul and shortly after I brought it home with 12k miles on it, I changed out the 5w20 and replaced it with 5w30 and didn’t notice any drop in mpg or power. It averages around 34mpg.

I’ve used that Valvoline before and liked it but as always the oil was coal black by 3k miles when I change it. I have a mixture of that oil in right now and still get good mpg.

Maybe something else is going on with your car? I don’t think the oil is causing that much of a change in mpg.
In mixed i am getting 28ish. Used to easily get 34-36. Highway i can get 42 currently, used to get 46-48. Highest was 52 with no a/c highway driving in the fall. I feel like i need to check the intake valves for IVD’s and have the valve clearances checked. I believe that Kia suggests valve clearance check at 65k miles. I have no clattering, but a tight valve is a silent killer. As for oil color i do find it interesting that the color has remained the same through the run. All other oils i have used have resulted in rapid darkening. Mind me asking, what filter you are using?

Differences in weights can be noticeable in mpg reduction. Seems like 5-8 is rather large.
I agree. As i posted above i feel like i may need to check valve clearance as well as check for ivd’s. I have been contemplating switching back to 5-20 for the next OC just to see if there is a difference. Alot cheaper than valve adjustment and cleaning.

I have been running Valvoline EP 0W-20 in my '22 Sonata 2.5L NA. I have 3,224 on the oil now and the oil is still a nice amber color. I run the KIA equivalent cartridge filter.

IMG-0815.jpg
IMG-0816.jpg

I have been running Valvoline EP 0W-20 in my '22 Sonata 2.5L NA. I have 3,224 on the oil now and the oil is still a nice amber color. I run the KIA equivalent cartridge filter.

View attachment 105250View attachment 105251
Interesting. Have you run any other brands since new? My GDI has been very dirty up until this point. I believe that your is MPI/GDI correct? That is about the same hue as mine. By this point with other oils i have run, a wipe of the stick would reveal coal black.

Interesting. Have you run any other brands since new? My GDI has been very dirty up until this point. I believe that your is MPI/GDI correct? That is about the same hue as mine. By this point with other oils i have run, a wipe of the stick would reveal coal black.
Correct, this car is MPI/GDI. My previous sonata was a 2.4L GDI, and after 60,000 miles the oil would darken really fast and had a noticable gas smell. With the new Sonata, first oil change was early at 1,500 miles Kirkland 0W-20, second was Havoline Pro-DS 0W-20, ran that for about 3,500 miles. Now running the Valvoline EP as Havoline is out of stock.

Correct, this car is MPI/GDI. My previous sonata was a 2.4L GDI, and after 60,000 miles the oil would darken really fast and had a noticable gas smell. With the new Sonata, first oil change was early at 1,500 miles Kirkland 0W-20, second was Havoline Pro-DS 0W-20, ran that for about 3,500 miles. Now running the Valvoline EP as Havoline is out of stock.
Yes my oil has a strong odor of gasoline, and has since i bought it. My rio was a rental that i purchased from avis and was in great shape. They supplied service records with reports of bulk oil changes every 7-7500 miles, though i suppose that really doesn't mean anything. I am wondering if the motor was filthy when i bought it. An inspection through the fill hole in the valve cover the day i bought it, looked like new inside from what i could see. Still looks “like new” very little if any varnish.

On my daughter's 2020 Kia Soul 1.6T been running PP 5w30 since new and it's always at the full mark for the 5K OCI, the Soul is at 25K and had the oil changed just this past May. With the turbo the oil always comes out dark with no gas smell. ;)

Back