Amsoil SSO, 5000 KM's in...............

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back in November, I took the Amsoil plunge and bought some SSO for my Kia Sorrento. The oil has been in for 5000 Km's and I have noticed some differences to my last choice, Mobil 1 5W-30. Cold start ups are amazing, turn the key and it sings. The engine feels free revving, and yes, the enging does idle faster although some of you may think this is placebo, but the tach doesn't lie. The oil is a dark caramel color and the dipstick looks like it has been polished clean were there there is constant contact with the product. My gas mileage has increased and overall, the vehicle feels very "comfortable".

I still do have some questions though. I pains me to think that this oil will last as long it does. I just plan on taking this oil to 30,000 km's, making this OCI approx 13,000 km's. Will this oil still be effective, or should it be changed at 10,000 Km's. As well, this is a somewhat thin oil, should it be run in the hot summers. My Kia specs for 5W-30 to 10W-30 based on climate. Is SSO to thin, or am I just being axious.

You'll be fine.

The reason your Kia specs 5w or 10w is that Kia assumes you'll be using cheap conventional oils, in which case you'd want to keep the spread as low as possible. 0w-30 is not a problem for a high quality synthetic, so your SSO will work year-round.

I would suggest going at least 12-15k miles to make it worth while. You are using a very good oil that could easily go 10k miles. Glad to see you are getting positive results from this oil. I know of two other people that have switched over to the SSO. One said it made his engine more noisey, the other more quiet.

I'm roughly at the same mark on my first run of SSO.

I've never had a 30 so quiet in my Volvo. And the engine does rev freely, plus zero consumption. My original plan was not to change my oil again.....I'm committed, or rather I should be.....but maybe after a year, I'll get..........urges.

15K Km's shouldn't be an issue unless the engine was unclean to start with.

13,000 km is rougly 8,000 miles, which wouldn't be much for the oil to handle. 15,000 miles/1 year would be my recommendation, which is approximately 24,000 km.

Did you use Mobil 1 since ownership? If so, I believe the engine would be fairly clean and shouldn't be an issue at all in terms of the SSO's effectiveness over extended use.

Depends on type of driving. If you are always driving short trips and no complete warm-ups, then you may not want to go that long. Most people's driving is not that extreme, however. I have run Amsoil 20k miles/one year with no problems, but that is in a warmer climate with most trips longer than 20 minutes, and considerable highway travel several times a year.

Also depends on the Amsoil.
wink.gif

If it's an XL-series oil, probably not. If it's the regular stuff, it's easily possible. If it's the top-of-the-line stuff, almost definitely.

I've switched over to SSO in my 04 Prius at 84,000 miles. I've used Mobil 1 5w-30 since 1000 miles with 5k OCI until I reached 60k, then went to 10k OCI.

My observations so far - engine is quieter and seems to run smoother. SSO hasn't been in long enough to get decent data on MPG. I'm planning to go a full year on this and get a UOA done at the halfway point sometime in July, just to see where it's at. I put on about 20-25K per year. Prius is VERY easy on oil, so I don't have any qualms about the long OCI.

Originally Posted By: wannafbody
So you guys think Amsoil is good for 10-15K in real world driving?

IF it were the right weight Amsoil for your LS1 you could, easily. But it has been proven time and again (and even admitted to by Pablo and others on here) that their 0W-30 weights are just too thin for use in an LSx engine. Unless you live where it never gets above 20* F ambient temp, and only make very short trips in those conditions.

Their 5W-30s, on the other hand (especially the uber-high TBN Series 3000 stuff), and 10W-30s/Euro 5W-40, are MOST EXCELLENT oils for the LSx series!!

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: dailydriver

IF it were the right weight Amsoil for your LS1 you could, easily. But it has been proven time and again (and even admitted to by Pablo and others on here) that their 0W-30 weights are just too thin for use in an LSx engine. Unless you live where it never gets above 20* F ambient temp, and only make very short trips in those conditions.

Their 5W-30s, on the other hand (especially the uber-high TBN Series 3000 stuff), and 10W-30s/Euro 5W-40, are MOST EXCELLENT oils for the LSx series!!

The SSO Series 0w30 has a higher TBN of 13.2 vs the ASL 5w30 12.2 and the Series 3000 HDD 5w30 of 12.2. So the SSO Series would be the uber-uber high TBN oil, and wouldn't be to thin for this appilication.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: littletank

The SSO Series 0w30 has a higher TBN of 13.2 vs the ASL 5w30 12.2 and the Series 3000 HDD 5w30 of 12.2. So the SSO Series would be the uber-uber high TBN oil, and wouldn't be to thin for this appilication.

I guess I have not been keeping up with my Amsoil tech/developments enough. Is this SSO (I lose track of all of their different letter codes, why don't we just state the weights & model names/types??) just renamed Series 2000 0W-30, or is it a whole new, completely different formulation???
ANY ester in the basestock? 40* & 100* cSts?? Any moly, boron, etc.??
Sorry, but the 'old' Series 2000 0W-30 (whatever the letter code was) WAS too thin for all but the most northern clime/coldest ambient operating temp LSx engines.

Quote:
I guess I have not been keeping up with my Amsoil tech/developments enough. Is this SSO (I lose track of all of their different letter codes, why don't we just state the weights & model names/types??) just renamed Series 2000 0W-30, or is it a whole new, completely different formulation???
Sorry, but the 'old' Series 2000 0W-30 (whatever the letter code was) WAS too thin for all but the most northern clime/coldest ambient operating temp LSx engines.

SSO is an upgrade to TSO. It's a PAO/Ester blend. Only Amsoil knows what base oils are used. Some are proprietary esters. Don't forget the importance of additives.

The "old" Series 2000 0w30 (TSO) was on the thin side for a 30w oil, however, it did and is still holding up well in my turboed Subaru. Comsumption is only about .5 quarts in 15,000 miles on a turboed car which is great. The "new" SSO is a totally new formulation. Here is some of the infomation you want to know https://www.amsoil.com/StoreFront/sso.aspx.
I really do not know how the "old" TSO would be to thin for the northern/coldest temp regions? Wouldn't you want additional cold flow characteristics of a 0w oil in a cold climate?

It's a new formulation to replace the Series 2000 0W-30 TSO. By new, I say based on - it's based on the knowledge gained over the 10+ years and millions of miles on that oil. Yes esters.

Specs here: Amsoil SSO 0W-30 A little Mo and decent B. Some engines don't do well on SAE 30 range oils, especially loosely dimensioned engines, the 0W-30's are no thinner at operating temps than the specification range - in fact TSO used to be on the thicker side.

Originally Posted By: westcoaster
Back in November, I took the Amsoil plunge and bought some SSO for my Kia Sorrento. The oil has been in for 5000 Km's and I have noticed some differences to my last choice, Mobil 1 5W-30. Cold start ups are amazing, turn the key and it sings. The engine feels free revving, and yes, the enging does idle faster although some of you may think this is placebo, but the tach doesn't lie. The oil is a dark caramel color and the dipstick looks like it has been polished clean were there there is constant contact with the product. My gas mileage has increased and overall, the vehicle feels very "comfortable".

I still do have some questions though. I pains me to think that this oil will last as long it does. I just plan on taking this oil to 30,000 km's, making this OCI approx 13,000 km's. Will this oil still be effective, or should it be changed at 10,000 Km's. As well, this is a somewhat thin oil, should it be run in the hot summers. My Kia specs for 5W-30 to 10W-30 based on climate. Is SSO to thin, or am I just being axious.

Not sure why your engine idles faster; idle speed is controlled by the computer, and should always be to a set value. You may want to get it checked out...

The "old" Series 2000 0w30 (TSO) was on the thin side for a 30w oil, however, it did and is still holding up well in my turboed Subaru. Comsumption is only about .5 quarts in 15,000 miles on a turboed car which is great.

shocked2.gif
Do you happen to have any UOA's on the TSO? I'm also curious about the SSO.

cheers3.gif

-Dennis

Originally Posted By: Pablo

It's a new formulation to replace the Series 2000 0W-30 TSO. By new, I say based on - it's based on the knowledge gained over the 10+ years and millions of miles on that oil. Yes esters.

Specs here: Amsoil SSO 0W-30 A little Mo and decent B. Some engines don't do well on SAE 30 range oils, especially loosely dimensioned engines, the 0W-30's are no thinner at operating temps than the specification range - in fact TSO used to be on the thicker side.

Thanks Pablo. My brother will really like this stuff for his '06 C6's LS2. He is using the TSO now on a long OCI w/an EaO filter.
We feel that the low drag TSO actually helped out his 'world record' bone stock automatic C6 1/4 mile time/speed (12.2 @ 115.9 mph).

Quote:
But it has been proven time and again (and even admitted to by Pablo and others on here) that their 0W-30 weights are just too thin for use in an LSx engine.

Baloney! 2002 Trans Am WS6 and the Amsoil 0W-30 was all I used in it for 4 yrs. Car ran perfect, never used any oil what so ever and the engine was not noisy like many are. I out the oil in right away with less the 2000 miles on the engine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back