Amsoil SSO 0W-30, 1993 Civic, 3,007 miles

Originally Posted By: satinsilver
Just wondering why the antifreeze % is left blank on the Blackstone report? I had them do a report recently and it was filled in. Thanks

What was it filled in with?

Originally Posted By: harry j
visually, the coolant level remains constant. If there is a leak, and by the UOA report there certainly appears to be, it is very minor. It bugs me though, that's why I am looking into resolving the problem.

I would go with a head re-torque and some coolant tabs.

Well, even with no leaks, you would have some coolant missing due to weeping. This is normal. I wouldn't go totally off of your coolant level to determine if there is a leak.

Last edited:
Harry,

I'm sorry to hear about the coolant issue. I hope you get it fixed, because I have a feeling your Civic will last a long time, especially judging by the way you take care of it.
thumbsup2.gif

Flush your radiator with a propylene glycol based coolant. The Amsoil coolant claims to perform sealing of hair-line cracks, plus propylene glycol is not damaging to engine internals.

Originally Posted By: ConfederateTyrant
Flush your radiator with a propylene glycol based coolant. The Amsoil coolant claims to perform sealing of hair-line cracks, plus propylene glycol is not damaging to engine internals.

+1
This engine been Auto-RX'd?

Thank you for the tip CT, I'm due for my semi-annual change soon, I will give it a try!

Originally Posted By: yota4me

+1
This engine been Auto-RX'd?

No, never RXed it, just frequent oil changes. The engine is very clean inside. I have the valves adjusted periodically and everywhere I can see, looks like new. I had to change the oil pan a while back. I must have hit something in the road and dented the pan. Everything looked spotless, no deposits, just well oiled bare metal.

Here's something you may find interesting.
As some of you know, I use the same EAO for 3 OCI's.
The first UOA showed an ISO code of 16/15/12,
The second 18/17/15,
and the latest 17/17/14.

The first UOA was with completely new SSO.
The second and third, I changed the oil but left the filter alone with whatever "dirty" oil was in it. It appears that the filter was starting to become more efficient acccording to the third UOA. I regret now not going a fourth time on the same filter to see if this trend continued, perhaps next time.

Here's something you may find interesting.
As some of you know, I use the same EAO for 3 OCI's.
The first UOA showed an ISO code of 16/15/12,
The second 18/17/15,
and the latest 17/17/14.

The first UOA was with completely new SSO.
The second and third, I changed the oil but left the filter alone with whatever "dirty" oil was in it. It appears that the filter was starting to become more efficient acccording to the third UOA. I regret now not going a fourth time on the same filter to see if this trend continued, perhaps next time.

What are the miles on the P/Cs?

All changes were done as close to 3,000 miles as I could manage. The first UOA was done at 3,012 miles
second 3,100
third 3,007

Just wondering why the antifreeze % is left blank on the Blackstone report? I had them do a report recently and it was filled in. Thanks

There was a "?" in that field on your report. On my report with Blackstone it said .18%.

There was a "?" in that field on your report. On my report with Blackstone it said .18%.

I have no explanation for this satinsilver. All three of my UOA's have a ? mark in the antifreeze % box. I will have to ask them why.

Originally Posted By: Pablo
? is what Blackstone and others enter when coolant is detected, but not quantitatively diferentiated.

And yet satinsilver's UOA has a value of .18% reported. Perhaps one has to request this value?

Originally Posted By: Pablo
? is what Blackstone and others enter when coolant is detected, but not quantitatively diferentiated.

And yet satinsilver's UOA has a value of .18% reported. Perhaps one has to request this value?

Thank you Pablo and Harry for the followup. I've done one uoa and that was with Blackstone. I never requested a numerical value but am glad they gave one to me.

I'm ready for a 2nd uoa soon. Maybe I will ask them for a value in the notes section for the antifreeze.

All changes were done as close to 3,000 miles as I could manage. The first UOA was done at 3,012 miles
second 3,100
third 3,007
Why are you changing the oil at 3,000 miles? Walmart oil will do fine at that interval . Why are you spending the $$$.Seems silly what is the advantage of the pricy oil?

Steve S, I want to use the best oil available. I am very pleased with the SSO's performance and will continue to use it every 3K miles until I get the gas and antifreeze issues resolved.

Back