Amsoil sponsors

Status
Not open for further replies.
The only thing not mentioned above is that the XL series is not formulated for use beyond 7500 miles and is not what this board would consider a true synthetic. The other Amsoil oils and the s2-3000 are synthetics. The XL series is labaled synthetic but a hydrocracked petro product. Produced for the Quick Lube market and those not wishing to play around with their warranties as the XL series is also API certified. The others meet or exceed but are not certified and do not carry the ole API doughnut symbol.

My friend has a 4.3L chevy s-10, as do I. He has recently gone with amsoil regular 5w-30 and is noting excellent results, on the order of 1 mpg+ better around town.
WHat we would like to know is the actual ifference between the regular amsoil 5w-30, the series xl-7500 5w-30 and the series 2000 0w-30, and also the series 3000 diesel oil. The latter two are much more expensie than the first two.
Not much is said about ACEA ratings for the oils, which to me seems like a very good metric for the ability of the oil to last. Granted in a chevy truck v6 it might not be the most important, as it is rarely over 2000 rpm even when cruising.
He used the regular 5w-30, but after seeing the analysis of the 2000 series 0w-30 in an audi, I am impressed. I would just like more actual information than the sales pitch about wear and volatility that is given on the product info pages.
Are they all PAO oils, or is there something more exotic? Do they all meet ACEA A3-02? Do the first three I mentioned have less detergents/dispersants, since they dont carry a diesel spec?
Any info would be most appreciated.
Thanks

JMH

JMH,

The 0w-30/5w-30/10w-30 are now all ACEA "A3/B4" rated, although all the spec sheets on the website haven't been changed yet. If you look at the labels on the quart and gallon containers you'll see the newest ratings. I believe the new spec sheet for the 10w-30 has been posted on the Amsoil website - the other two oils will basically meet those same specs.

The regular 5w-30 and 10w-30 are very similar oils that use the same additive chemstry - I'd consider those to be interchangable. The S2000 and S3000 are also similar basestock blends, but the additive chemistry in the 0w-30 is optimized for gas engine use, while the Series 3000, 5w-30 is a fuel efficient, HD diesel oil. You can use the S3000 in gas engines, it's ACEA A3/B3 rated, but there is no particular reason to do so.

The only one of these that may give you better performance and fuel efficiency is the S2000, 0w-30, since you are already running a friction modified 5w-30. The 0w-30 uses a different basestock blend and there are some differences in the additive chemistry which they are very tight lipped about. I've seen very similar wear rates with all these oils, but TBN retention is a bit better with the S2000 and S3000. So if you are running change intervals longer than 15,000 miles those would be preferred.

When the S2000, 20w-50 racing oil first came out in 1995, I ran some in my 1990 Audi 100 which had about 100k miles on it at that time. On long highway trips @ 70-75 mph, I was actually getting the same gas mileage as I did with their regular 10w-30 synthetic. You would normally expect to lose 3%-4% in fuel efficiency going from a 10w-30 to a 20w-50. That convinced me it was a different formulation with more effective friction modifiers.

TooSlick

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back