Amsoil probably using Group III as well?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quote:

I can sell what I want, but I do choose Amsoil. I don't need to stock massive quantities, no capital tied up, etc.

Pablo,

We have what I guess could be called a dedicated "Amsoil Store" here in Spokane; it looks like an automotive parts place, large signage, done up in the flag motif, etc. When I asked about selling other products, that was the sort of situation I was inquiring about.

Or are these "Amsoil stores" just a guy's hobby grown out of control?
ooo.gif

Quote:

GI Joes is how many stores now? But they were selling Amsoil before the 12 store limit. Very limited Amsoil product selection and typically qts only. I wouldn't mind having that account, though!

So if GI Joes continues to grow, they'll forever be able to sell Amsoil at all their locations? That would be one heck of a "grandfather" clause.

And are you saying that the GI Joes' agreement isn't an Amsoil corporate account? I mean, if it's an Amsoil rep account, that's one really lucky guy...

There are no such thing as Amsoil stores. That is the guy's own doing.

No there is no such thing as "corporate" account. Some dealer made that contact and he owns it. Personally I think he's doing a LOUSY job. But it is a retail account. I'm not sure about a chain growing and how the clause reads. When I get power I'll study the fine print.

Just ordered a case of the ASL 5w-30 for my car and my gf's VW. I like the additive package and I feel Amsoil's customer service has improved so much that I want to give them my business. I'm jumping on the bandwagon. LOL

The one that aggravates me the most is Schaeffers. I really like their products but its just to hard to came by. Sorry I dont need $300 worth at once.

Busta,

I can't believe you sold out your buddy Dave and the Redline guys so quickly??? Heretic!

Were you on the debating team in H.S?
You could have competed on both sides at the same time.
smile.gif

The Amsoil 5w-30 really isn't any thicker than the RL 5w-20 in terms of high temp, high shear viscosity. So it should do fine in that application as well as the VW.

Of course the know-nothing, "Audiworld" crowd will point out that the Amsoil 5w-30 no longer meets the VW 502.00 spec (a technicality having to do with HT/HS viscosity). However it and the ATM formulation do meet the even more stringent VW 503.00 spec, which requires all the same tests as VW 502.00 - and provides long drain (30,000km/2 yrs) capability.

Quote:

We have what I guess could be called a dedicated "Amsoil Store" here in Spokane; it looks like an automotive parts place, large signage, done up in the flag motif, etc.

There's one like that here in the SF Bay Area on El Camino Real. I think he's in Belmont or San Carlos (all those towns look the same to me). He tried his best to get my name and address into his computer system.
grin.gif
He's pretty well stocked. I bet he's on this forum.

Quote:

I told ya....ya didn't listen: Lubromoly 5W-30. All I know of this oil is that it uses some amount of Group 3 and meets MB 229.5 which is a really tough test.

How much? If someone did a G.C. analysis do you think they'd find it to be mostly Group III like someone did with M1 EP 5w30, 10w30 and 15W-50?

I don't know how much 427, but whatever amount it is, it didn't taint the concoction too much. I wish I knew how much Group 3 it has in it for the same reason I think you do. How much of it can be used and still allow a really long drain oil? It certainly puts it at a slight disadvantage compared to if the Group 3 were replaced by PAO, as we know from the Chevron paper often linked here. Right now I've got Lubromoly 0W-40 in the sump. According to its MSDS, it has PAO and mineral oil as the additive carrier. It's pretty dam good but I think it could be better if it used a little of the very high viscosity PAO's for improved boundary lubrication and maybe a little POE or AN; all that would raise the price though.

HAA. Went with Amsoil bc it holds up better for long drains then RL. It's also cheaper.

Man, I'm trying to finish a test report today and you are asking me to dig up more oil info! It's the last work day before the holidays!
smile.gif

If you go to www.liquimoly.de, you can see that this oil uses "HC Technology". Hydrocracked=HC. Yes, any oil meeting MB 229.5 has standout performance in the right engine of course.

Quote:

Just to set the record straight...

Amsoil started out as a 100% diester based synlube in 1972, with the basestock sourced from Hatco chemical.

I was under the impression that Hatco developed the entire formulation for Amsoil and wasn't just the supplier of the basestock.

In the first link, I don't know. Probably oil not imported to the U.S.
My AdvanceAuto Parts store carries the 5W-30 I spoke of so that's how I found out about it. LM makes so many weird oils.
In the second link, I'm using the oil at the top of the page. Some of the others further down look impressive like the 0W-30 (2nd oil down).

Correct. Voll Synthese. I avoid Group 3 if I can. In a recent test I found something about the LM 0W-40 that disturbed me, so I'm changing to another oil next fill. It corroded the heck out of a penny while Syntec 10W-30 and M1 0W-40 just gave their penny a nice colorful blue/green sheen. The oil temp was about 320F. Sheit hit the fan with this oil between 1 and 2 hours. I can't help it but I now picture this oil attacking the copper in my engine when it gets exhausted (around 5k miles). I'm thinking about taking samples of my used oil and heating it up with a clean penny to see how long it takes to attack the penny vs virgin LM 0W-40 oil. That would be a cool test.

FWIW, Elf, Shell Helix, Synergyn all use some group III in the mix. For those that have been on this site long enough, you should already know that you can make a great oil with varying %'ges of all 3 base oils.

Quote:

FWIW, Elf, Shell Helix, Synergyn all use some group III in the mix. For those that have been on this site long enough, you should already know that you can make a great oil with varying %'ges of all 3 base oils.

With you reminding everyone every other post, how could we forget?
laugh.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back