Amsoil Oil- 0W-20/EAO Filter

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've heard mixed things about engine cleanliness when using Amsoil for over 20k mile intervals. If you were to choose an oil for extended drains though, Amsoil would be the way to go.

I personally don't think going over 15k miles is worth it.

Originally Posted By: Colt
Thanks signore97,that's great to know.
It's tough for me to keep any oil in a vehicle for 15K miles.It's a mental thing.
55.gif

I'm going let the car to go 10K and do a OCI and see where the oil is at and extend if oil is ok.
Thanks again.

No problem Colt. I think 10k is a good achievable number. Even if you decide not to extend the drain interval further, 10k is still a pretty good amount of mileage. IMHO, the cost of a higher priced oil at 10k OCI's is still worth it.

And I do agree with Buster... 15k is well more than sufficient for me with my driving, especially since I'm in the severe service category (despite mostly longer trips). I personally don't feel the need to extend past 15k. My OCI's on Amsoil in my Nissan VQ 3.5L V6 are between 10-15k miles, and my engine looks like it came off the assembly line under the valve covers.

Good luck...

15,000 seems to be the most reasonable number overall based on most of the UOA's I've seen over the years. Amsoil can handle the 15k + mile interval at times very well, if the engine/sump capacity and driving conditions are ideal. Unfortunately, most of the time they are not, and you therefore can subject your engine to excessive contaminants and varnish problems down the line. Not worth the risk for something that is relatively not that expensive.

Originally Posted By: buster
15,000 seems to be the most reasonable number overall based on most of the UOA's I've seen over the years. Amsoil can handle the 15k + mile interval at times very well, if the engine/sump capacity and driving conditions are ideal. Unfortunately, most of the time they are not, and you therefore can subject your engine to excessive contaminants and varnish problems down the line. Not worth the risk for something that is relatively not that expensive.

Couldn't agree more!

28K miles on ASM last year in my '03 Sable. Excellent UOA report. The report is on the UOA thread.

The TBN was still good.

UOA

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: mettech
28K miles on ASM last year in my '03 Sable. Excellent UOA report. The report is on the UOA thread.

The TBN was still good.

I had forgotten about that thread. It actually has some good humor as well.

Mettech's Run

Originally Posted By: mettech

The TBN was still good.

UOA

That is a very impressive uoa. I have no doubt that Amsoil products are top notch, and I use them myself for that reason. However, I think the point here is that not everyone is graced with the same situation, driving conditions, and incredibly tight engine like yours. In other cases, the same oil may only do half of that interval. It all depends.

I agree.

What I don't agree with are the nebulous statements about well thought out extended OCI's leaving dirty engines and such. With no real proof....."I've heard mixed things about engine cleanliness....."

We really only have mucho anecdotal info.......which curiously seems like there are a lot of gummy ringed 3-5K conventional oil OCI's.....naturally by the overwhelming volume of engines with this regimen.

I believe that most drivers have far too conservative OCIs. Amsoil makes excellent products, but if you don't get UOAs, you will never know how conservative you actually are.

I'm doing 30,000 mile OCIs with Amsoil SSO 0W-30 and my UOAs are great. Granted, I add some make-up oil and I have a bypass filter & prelube pump but the oil is definitely holding up. I would never have figured this out without UOA testing and pushing further. I'm planning on extending my OCIs even more with my next change.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back