Amsoil expensive-Wow!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't care how good it is claimed to be it's still just an oil filter. I haven't seen enough evidence that regular filters such as purolater premiums, Supertechs and even Fram are not doing an adequate job of filtering the oil.

Pablo, Edited because I just saw your post.

Mostly it's the hype that bothers everyone. Of course I am sure Amsoil has put alot of money and effort into bringing this and the new air filters to market so in a way they should hype them.. I am just tempermental on what I consider to be an "Upsell" product.

Yea, those are very low wearing engines.
Here on BITOG they keep getting very nice looking UOA's.

And Now Amsoil is teaming up with Wix so the wide range of filters, media, and design are a real plus to the consumer. I like the comment Amsoil made on there website in regards to Wix and the bypass valve in the front of the filter and how that design keeps the oil from washing over the filter media....interesting.

Amsoil offering the WIX is a good idea and probably
an effort to market a less expensive filter than the
EaO (Donaldson media) filters.

I don't know much about WIX filters, how do they
compare/perform next to other filters?
Craig

>>>Amsoil offering the WIX is a good idea and probably an effort to market a less expensive filter than the
EaO (Donaldson media) filters.

AMSOIL does not offer the Wix filters for those applications which call for the AMSOIL EaO filters.
The Wix filters are offered by AMSOIL dealers for the 20% or so of applications which aren't covered by the AMSOIL EaO filters.

Thanks ****,
This was getting confusing. So Wix is replacing Hastings
to complete the product line?
Craig

There is not much test data on ff oil filters. if Amsoil's new filter tested better we might expect to see such results. Amsoil may just be marketing to those that don't need test results and buy for other reasons. There may not be much difference between any non-metalic ff oil filter. I think testing would be difficult because of the range of average filter performance between filters of the same brand with the same part number. If you are willing to use an Amsoil filter for extended intervals then you believe the Amsoil marketing message. Without test data what other reason is there?

Recent STLE article got my attention on this media. This media looks to be the real deal.
See Neil Cantors article in latest; June 2006 "Tech Beat" Tribology & Lubrication Technology magazine.

Increased flow with high efficiency is what we all look for whether we know it or not.

Terry

There are no performance standards that people like us can get at, for ff oil filters. There is nothing like an API cert or viscosity ratings or A3 ACEA rating for motor oil, nothing, but the "meets new car manufacturer specs". At least with a bottle of oil, you have a chance to figure out what you're getting. You might buy a 5w-30 API certed oil with an Energy symbol. There are those that have cut apart, measured and otherwise examined filters. I don't know what you think of all this but I wonder. Some oil filters have an average filter rating for the media, like 40 micron average. Does that mean that it might stop some particles smaller than 40 and let pass a lot of larger particles? Filters with fuzzy media just don't leave me with a good feeling about what they are doing and if that media is holding up and what's getting washed back into my engine every now and then, when that bypass valve burps. The message has to be that ff oil filters are not too important in the grand scheme of car maintenance. A block off plate might perform almost as well as a filter.

quote:

Originally posted by LargeCarMan:
Oh.........Joe Dually, I'll beat the rest to this one. Purolators, Wix, and others will run around 5 bucks and go about 5,000miles. Amsoil EA filters will go 25,000 miles. 5X5=$25.00 Oh well I guess the 15 dollar Amsoil filter won..
patriot.gif

How did I do Pablo?

Poorly.

Premium Plus goes on sale fairly regularly at AA/PB/elsewhere for $1.99.

$15 (Amsoil filter) / $1.99 (Premium Plus) = ~7.5.

Since we can't buy half a filter...unless somebody has disected it and we would use it as garage art...let's stick with a conservative seven Premium Plus filters for the price of one Amsoil filter.

Now...

A safe 5,000 mile OCI with the Premium Plus filters results in 35,000 miles worth of great filtration for
Guess the $15 Amsoil filter lost.
lol.gif

Even Supertech filters will get your engine beyond 300K. Micro-oil filtering is way-overrated. If you are sopending more than $6.99 for filtering, you are wasting your money.

Even though I refuse to use either one, basic Frams & Supertechs are all your engine needs for it's entire lifetime of beyond 300K. Micro-oil filtering is way overrated. Spending more than $6.99 for oil filters is a waste of money.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back