Amsoil expensive-Wow!

Status
Not open for further replies.
quote:

I used to cut them open immediately after the change. They looked fairly new.
No sludge or debris. Very few visible particles.
In other words the filters looked very clean.

Was this a naked-eye "look?"

Do we even know what an overloaded, clogged filter would even look like in comparison? If not, we really have no idea what we are seeing or how "clean" it is. Clean is a comparitive word anyway...not an absolute term. If one expects large sand granules within an oil filter...all filters may "look clean" in comparison.

And to be able to determine if a filter looks "new," what would we expect an "old" filter look like? Rust? Probably not....then what?

Also, could there be degredation to the media that is not readily observed just by looking at it with the naked eye?

Lots of questions.......

The media has more surface area hence the filter area might be 4 times bigger depth wise.
So the filter could be the same size and still have a much larger filtering area.

I am guilty of feel good mentality. But just maybe this filter is the real deal?

From what I understand, the Donaldson as well as the Amsoil Nanotech have a fine mesh screen the first layer sprayed or blown on is a certain micron size. The next is a larger micron size...and so on and so on. This material is of non-paper, but a celulose and synthetic fiber material. Paper is bound to start to degrade quicker than the celulose/synthetic fiber does. These filters will blow the doors off of the paper filter material in the years ahead of us...Watch! This is why many Europeon car manufactures are extending the oil filter change life and moving to the fleece or synthetic type of full flow filters...change the paradime, free yourself.

Cellulose = Paper

Do we really have any data to determine how long a filter will last?

The one thing I know is that I saw a BMW filter with 50k (I think) miles on it and it had dissintegrated. So, I know that BMW filters do not last 50k miles. Beyond that I do not know if a Supertech will go 3k, 5k or 20k before it gets too loaded or dissintegrates. Same for an Amsoil Ea filter.

The vehicle its on and how that is operated will have a big influence on how long a filter will last. The longer time may be of more important than high miles.

On another note:

Someone wondered why Amsoil did not have a fitler for their application(s).

quote:

It is the goal at AMSOIL to cover every application with our new filtration products. However, it is important to understand that it is still a work in progress. The criteria for building the EaA and EaO Filters was in part based on the historical sales of AMSOIL filters and the ranking sales volume of filters sold by WIX, Hastings, etc. Therefore, AMSOIL does not provide the new EaA and EaO filters for every automotive application.

AMSOIL will be collecting all the information that comes in from sales and tech requests and when a filter looks like we can sell 300 a year we are recommending adding it.

Ok Gents and Ladies

Ea Oil Filters feature advanced FULL SYNTHETIC nanofiber technology, making them the highest efficiency filters that are available for the auto/light truck market.

No Cellulose or Paper

Cellulose and blended medias found in most oil filters have larger fibers than the synthetic nanofibers found in the EaO Filters. They also have larger spaces between their fibers. This causes contaminants to load in the depth of the media and plug the oil-flow path, resulting in higher restriction and less capacity.

The smaller fibers in synthetic media also have a controlled size and shape. This results in greater efficiency and capacity than cellulose filters, as well as better durability. AMSOIL Ea Oil Filters provide a higher level of engine protection, as well as extended filter change intervals.

patriot.gif

look up Donaldson/ Fleetguard filters. This isn't Amsoils idea . Come on guys. The material has been used in hydraulic and motor oil filters for extended drains in semi trucks for quite a while. Even Fram has a filter with this type of material in their filter how about the delco filters ?

AMSOIL is the first in the industry to offer a full synthetic media in a cartridge style filter.

AMSOIL Ea Oil Filters will be the highest efficiency filters on the market for automotive and light truck applications.

Development of this new filter involved partnerships with global filtration industry leaders (Donaldson as well as others). The collaborative effort was orchestrated by AMSOIL with the aim of producing a filter unsurpassed in efficiency and service life.

Bryan - I certainly understand where you are coming from. I mean I don't use SDF's, for example. For my OCI's (typically 12K miles MAX) I can't see the need either.

When and if we buy a new vehicle - I doubt I'll use them at first

That said - if I was doing 15K+ highway OCI - I would feel/think comfortable with the new line of filters,

Certainly Pablo. If I ever work up to that distance an OCI and my UOA's indicate a shortcoming im my filtration I would move up to a better product. Until I see a performance shortfall I am resistant to upgrade. I personaly am interested in seeing the results and measurable differnces this filter can produce. Of course I am more interested in how far I can take my cheap over the counter filters for now.

quote:

Nothing earth shattering, and Amsoil didn't invent the media. But Amsoil did develop, source and is marketing the filters.

Why does it cost 3 times as much?

How many miles can I get out of 7 Supertechs?
tongue.gif

Seriously, If someone feels more secure with an over engineered filtration system then they are free to run whatever they want. Change my mind with hard data from independent users and I will eat my shoe. and use one.

vad - see Gary Allen's post.

I will add I wish I knew the true product cost. I can tell you that suddenly my margins didn't go up! They don't sell billions and Amsoil doesn't tend to spread costs or take a loss on internal costs. Amsoil probably is paying good money for some US manufacturer to build these.

quote:

How many miles can I get out of 7 Supertechs?
tongue.gif

As many as you want.
grin.gif
You can get one supertech to take you the distance that a M1/K&N/Amsoil unit will take you. Your level of filtration will be lower ..your holding capacity will (probably) be lower ...and it will probaby be in bypass ..and even then you probably won't suffer too much in terms of your LTR with your car
dunno.gif

I probably won't be buying this filter either. I already did my research on extended OCIs and figured that, in my one vehicle that does high mileage, in my case I could not make it to ONE YEAR on one OCI. It was far more reasonable for me to do 6 month OCIs. For that, I don't need to get too fancy on the filter. I will be sacrificing some effiency with using less then the top of the line stuff ..but I can live with it.

Filtration always involves compromise
dunno.gif

quote:

As what? M1 (old price $11)? K&N ($9.99 at AA)??

You can also compare it to SuperTech and say that it's 7X as much

I was referring to the most common quality paper media filters like Motorcraft, PureOne, Wix etc.
The all cost around $5-6 dollars for my application.
I might try the Amsoil filter.
The problem is, I bet it won't be available for my car. Somehow nobody wants to make the high end oil filters for the Ford Focus Zetec.
confused.gif

quote:

Come on guys. The material has been used in hydraulic and motor oil filters for extended drains in semi trucks for quite a while.

Yes ..probably so, but neither PureOne, M1, K&N, or Wix uses it. This would probably be one of the only passenger car "broad availability" of this product. Naturally if the aforementioned filters used this media, they couldn't be offered (probably) at their current prices. Is it worth it? That's where you get into personal preference type things. You may not need anything other then the stainless steel screen at this point in automotive technology to protect the engine for your ownership (over 150k of useage) ..but they too cost too much to be economical. That can be said for everything from synthetics to bypass filters to moly laden additives.

Ugly3 ..of course it's sales blather
smile.gif

Nothing earth shattering, and Amsoil didn't invent the media. But Amsoil did develop, source and is marketing the filters.

Expensive for sure.

Again no biggie.

Why the angst? Show me an oil filter that isn't pre-filled with sales blather!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back