Amsoil engine flush...snake oil scam?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,

I just watched a You Tube video with the guy who sells Amsoil, swearing by the Amsoil engine flush. To me, the guy comes across as a total snake oil salesman.
So is this product a total scam and NEVER should pour this in your engine, or the real deal?

Thanks
Michael

Hi,

I just watched a You Tube video with the guy who sells Amsoil, swearing by the Amsoil engine flush. To me, the guy comes across as a total snake oil salesman.
So is this product a total scam and NEVER should pour this in your engine, or the real deal?

Thanks
Michael
Never used it but I’ve used similar detergent based flushes. Lubgard is one I think is similar and have used. Honest opinion is if ya really need a flush to try and cure something like a sticking hydraulic lifter or caked rings, I’d just use a solvent based flush and get it over with. Solvents work great but should be used sparingly and appropriately.
As part of a regular maintenance routine something like the amsoil flush is probably a wiser choice.
No I do not think it is snake oil.

Nothing in the Amsoil line is a "scam". While I'm not a big fan of such flush products in general, by no means do I think Amsoil is "snake oil"; that's a derogatory term just not fair to lay on the brand.

Amsoil reps are as diverse as any other profession; lawyers, cops, doctors, teachers, millwrights, and coffee baristas ... There are good ones and shady ones.
If you want an honest guy for the Amsoil brand, reach out to Pablo; he's the real deal; honest and fair.

Hi,

Thanks
Michael
Wait - you found a bozo salesman on YouTube?

What are the odds of that…. 😂

Hi,

Thanks
Michael
First of all 2003, 600+ posts..............and you haven't seen this or a similar flush discussed?

That said, shoot me the youtube link in a PM, I will review and it if he makes unfounded claims I will turn him in.

OK yes the flush does help get the old stuff out, it does some cleaning if you repeat it between really short oil change intervals. Then after running another short change, then use your selected oil.

Nothing in the Amsoil line is a "scam". While I'm not a big fan of such flush products in general, by no means do I think Amsoil is "snake oil"; that's a derogatory term just not fair to lay on the brand.

Amsoil reps are as diverse as any other profession; lawyers, cops, doctors, teachers, millwrights, and coffee baristas ... There are good ones and shady ones.
If you want an honest guy for the Amsoil brand, reach out to Pablo; he's the real deal; honest and fair.
Oil filters the Ea series are not so great, they have flow restriction and low capacity.They are the same of royal purple, other companys do for them.

Oil filters the Ea series are not so great, they have flow restriction and low capacity.
I would ask you to clarify and quantify ...
What's the source of your info, and how do they compare/contrast to other high-end filters?
I doubt your claim, but to be fair I'll hear your out.
Please be specific with data, no opinions.

I would ask you to clarify and quantify ...
What's the source of your info, and how do they compare/contrast to other high-end filters?
I doubt your claim, but to be fair I'll hear your out.
Please be specific with data, no opinions.

Nothing wrong with this product. Think about it as giving a more complete drain.

Hi,

Thanks
Michael
The problem is that these flush products really cannot produce measurable results in an engine which not been neglected. There's a YT video of a guy who used Amsoil Flush on his truck. IIRC he performed two oil changes to remove as much of the waste oil as possible. He then performed a third oil change using Amsoil engine flush but either retained a sample of the unused oil or pulled a sample of the oil at operating temp prior to adding the engine flush. The color of the oil with Amsoil engine flush remained essentially unchanged compared to the oil sample but that was to be expected on an engine which has had regular oil changes.

If you want piece of mind go ahead and use it. We all do things which makes us feel better but may not have the desired effect.

Now on an neglected engine sure these products may free up a stuck ring(s), dissolve soft sludge, etc, but that's all they're supposed to do.

The problem is that these flush products really cannot produce measurable results in an engine which not been neglected. There's a YT video of a guy who used Amsoil Flush on his truck. IIRC he performed two oil changes to remove as much of the waste oil as possible. He then performed a third oil change using Amsoil engine flush but either retained a sample of the unused oil or pulled a sample of the oil at operating temp prior to adding the engine flush. The color of the oil with Amsoil engine flush remained essentially unchanged compared to the oil sample but that was to be expected on an engine which has had regular oil changes.

If you want piece of mind go ahead and use it. We all do things which makes us feel better but may not have the desired effect.

Now on an neglected engine sure these products may free up a stuck ring(s), dissolve soft sludge, etc, but that's all they're supposed to do.
The way I approach this is that they are a prevenative vs. a reactive product. Using this each change/once a year/whatever likely improves the overall drain you get and *may* loosen/remove some minor amounts of "stuff" inside so why not.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back