Amsoil ASL 5w30 Good For 10K without a UOA?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just wanted some opinions on this.

The car is a 2005 Corolla. The manufacturer OCI is 5K with Dino. This is my girlfriend's mom's car and I only want to change the oil once/twice a year.

I think this oil along w/ a Napa Gold or Mobil Filter will be fine without a UOA, but I wanted to hear some opinions. The car has been running various syns for a while, one run w/ ARX maint. dose so it's plenty clean underneath the oil cap. BTW, car has 89K now and will be at 91K at next oil change.

Thanks in advance and please let me know if I left out anything.

I'm sure it would be fine, but I'd like to see the UOA. I'm tired of seeing UOA's on synthetics with 3k or 4k miles on them. IMO, the purpose of this website is to push the oils to their limits to see which are better. One or two 10K OCI UOA's mean more to me than twenty 3K OCI UOA's. Sorry, rant off.

Originally Posted By: ryansride2017
I'm sure it would be fine, but I'd like to see the UOA. I'm tired of seeing UOA's on synthetics with 3k or 4k miles on them. IMO, the purpose of this website is to push the oils to their limits to see which are better. One or two 10K OCI UOA's mean more to me than twenty 3K OCI UOA's. Sorry, rant off.

If I run the oil to 10K, I may just do that, for reference sake.

2005 Corolla with Wix filter 9,725 miles with 1/2 the sump makeup oil mostly highway operated. (2 quarts added of 4 quart sump)

d46506copygn5.jpg

Thread here--> Amsoil ASL 5w-30 9,725 miles

Here you go...

I run it for 6K currently but looking to extend to 12K because my UOA supports it.

In your engine I would think it would be no problem. Use a high quality filter though... I would use an EAO

I dont have 10,000 miles on the oil in the Explorer,but I have run this oil an entire year,gonna change it out this weekend
thumbsup2.gif

Has 3000 miles on it
wink.gif

why do the blackstone reports give two viscosity readings at the same temperature, 212 F and 100 C?

The Amsoil should work well. I,ve run M1 oils at 10,000 OCIs for 31years, so the Ams should as well. For those miles a UOA isn't needed.

Last edited:
My friends 4.7 Liter Dodge engine just makes 11K to 12 K with UOA in agreement that it must be changed.

On your engine....I would run the Eao oil filter and the 5w30 for 15K or 1 year and don't worry B.......Happy.

If you guys will read the UOA on the ENGINE that the OP was asking about 15k is NOT possible IMO.

A TBN of 2.0 with HALF the oil replaced is not what I'd blindly recommend here for 15k.

IF the engine does not need any make up oil for 10k then I'd say NO for even a 10k OCI.

2 quarts of makeup oil skews the UOA quite a bit.

Please folks, this board was the place for honest FACTUAL info and everyone with their xx k miles or time WITHOUT a UOA is just GUESSING...
smirk2.gif

I'd hope that we would be above guessing.... And if we are guessing, we STATE that.

UOAs ARE DATA that helps INFORMED people make decisions.

Just because you are running xx brand or type of oil, once you PAST the recommended OCI, you NEED (IMO) to make sure all is ok.

Trending UOAs will help you with KNOWING what IS going ON.

Originally Posted By: panthermike
How about Schaeffer 9000? I noticed the TBN is only 7.1, does this oil retain TBN pretty well?

Excellently.

This is the title of the post:

Amsoil ASL 5w30 Good For 10K without a UOA?

Everyone but me....said it would go 10K without a UOA. I said it will go 15K. I base this on the 2.0 TBN remaining....However,

I have seen a V/8 engine 4.7 beat this oil to death and get 11-12K with UOA trending. If the little 4 cyl Toyota with the UOA posted is using 2.4 qt's of make up oil, then it is not a tight engine. Blackstone thinks in this engine 11K is possible.

Most little 4cyl engines should easily go 15K or 1 year on ASL 5w30. If it's not using oil or have any other mech problems. Amsoil will guarantee it.

However, as I stated with the 4.7 engine which has been trended for over 150k, 12K is the limit for that engine. UOA's are valuable, if you want to run an extended oil change without one....it's your choice and Amsoil will guarantee the oil for 1 year or 15K.

BIG difference between a 4.7l V8 and a 1.8l 1ZZFE.

How about timing chain? The V8 does not have one and the 4 cyl does.

Its a WELL KNOWN FACT that timing chains affect and WORK the oil quite a bit.

The engine that ran the ASL is a tight engine. It is also a FACT (to the point that Toyota has issued docs on it) that the 1ZZFE motor uses oil when run at a high RPM for hours on end (like this one does).

The 4.7l can run quite well on any oil. The 1ZZFE does run well on any oil but you can not push it.

I will NOT (or NEVER) blindly state to someone that that brand of oil or this type of oil is OK to run XX miles past the RECOMMENDED OCI from the MFG.

And I could care less about ANY ones warranty. I'm not going to trust any oil company to fix an engine. Once you go past common sense OCI, you take a risk.

To each their own.

My point is this site has gone so far from helping and basing info on facts.

And 15k WITH OUT a UOA in HIS engine is just BAD ADVICE.

PS: And if you see HOW the engine used the 2 quarts of make up oil, you'd have more info.

(Hint.. Try a filter change for some of the makeup oil)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back