Amsoil ALM 5w20 - 12,415 miles - 07 Honda Civic EX

Status
Not open for further replies.
2007 Honda Civic EX 1.8L 5spd Auto.
154,246 miles.
Sump holds 3.9 quarts according to the book. I always manage to fit 4.2qts in during each oil change before reaching the FULL line.

Amsoil EA oil filter used.

NAPA GOLD / WIX air filter (unchanged since the last sample, i just pulled it out, tapped / flew any loose particles out and reinstalled it - it's got about 22k on it at the moment)

1/3 of a quart was added @ 8,000 miles. I tried to go the distance without adding anything but just don't like seeing the oil level get below the FULL mark, so i added some to top it off.

OLM was @ 50% the second time around, after i reset it @ 0% after 8,467 miles.

Driving conditions were: Round trip from Florida to California with dozens of stops along the way at various states / cities. Then a few other 400-800 mile trips with the rest being short trip city driving. (roughly 80% highway 20% city)

Sample was taken via the drain plug as i always do but without draining the sump. I'll run it another 1,000 miles and change the oil, based on the UOA results seen here.

What chu guys think?

p.s. I also sent a sample to Oil Analyzers and am still awaiting those results to see what they say, as well as compare the two UOAs reports for laughs and giggles. I'll post it once it comes in.

CivicEXUOA_zpsa0007745.jpg

Code:

OIL ALM 5w30

MILES IN USE 12,415 miles

MILES 154,246

SAMPLE TAKEN 09/18/2012

Universal Average

ALUMINUM 5 5

CHROMIUM 0 0

IRON 6 7

COPPER 1 1

LEAD 0 0

TIN 0 0

MOLYBDENUM 145 77

NICKEL 0 0

MANGANESE 0 0

SILVER 0 0

TITANIUM 0 0

POTASSIUM 2 2

BORON 50 39

SILICON 27 27

SODIUM 9 7

CALCIUM 3737 2910

MAGNESIUM 19 17

PHOSPHORUS 632 632

ZINC 732 683

BARIUM 0 0

Values Should Be*

SUS VIS 210ºF 54.7 46-59

cSt @ 212ºF 8.67 6.0-10.2

FLASHPOINT ºF 385 >355

Fuel %
Antifreeze 0 0.0

WATER 0
INSOLUBLES 0.3
TBN 2.2 >1.0

TAN 5.7

Excellent report! check your air box for leakage with Si @ 27. I love the calcium and moly!

Thanks for posting. The oil seems about right to change. Nice that you got the TBN & TAN. I agree, look (beyond the box) for air leaks. Odd things beyond a crack or loose clamp.

I don't fully understand tbn/tan. There is no sign of oxidation here so the oil is still in good shape.

Originally Posted By: buster
Great results. So what changed between this and the last run?

This run saw an 8,000 mile trip from FL to CA in a matter of three weeks. The rest were my usual 1 day business trips that make up 80% of my usual total miles with the rest being city driving.

Nothing else changed. Same oil from the same case as last time.

Great report and way to go extending out a great oil!

How are you liking that extra Moly & Calcium?

Are you noticing any slight differences with the engine?

Originally Posted By: tpitcher

Negative, zero difference in performance between this oil and OE / XL before it.

I want to run it 2x the OLM on the car (roughly 15-16k miles) but based on the results, I doubt I'll be able to "safely" get it done.

I plan to go back to the OE / XL and just run it down to 0% oil life and call it a day.

Originally Posted By: Artem

Negative, zero difference in performance between this oil and OE / XL before it.

I want to run it 2x the OLM on the car (roughly 15-16k miles) but based on the results, I doubt I'll be able to "safely" get it done.

I plan to go back to the OE / XL and just run it down to 0% oil life and call it a day.

Good to know!
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: Artem

Good to know!
smile.gif

Yea I'm just seeing the ROI with the "Signature Series" oil in my Civic. I thought for sure with all this highway mileage that I'll be able to go further (thought the TBN would be higher @ 12k)

Although I'm sure the TBN could stay at 1-2 for another couple thousand miles to get me to 14k possibly 15k but I just don't feel comfortable as the TAN is rising and the oil sample smelled bad, to be honest with you.

Originally Posted By: chubbs1
Thanks Artem, it is always good to see your reports. You just can't get any better than this IMO!

Chubbs

Right on. Artem is one of my favorite posters.
thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted By: chubbs1
Thanks Artem, it is always good to see your reports. You just can't get any better than this IMO!

Chubbs

Right on. Artem is one of my favorite posters.
thumbsup2.gif

Aww thanks guys. Makes all the efforts and funds spent kinda worth it.
thumbsup2.gif

I only wish I'd have the "marbles" to stretch it out further to say... 15k?

It'd do 15k, although I would not quibble over 12.5k, single-digit wear, still in grade, and TBn on the table!

Amazing report - good show, and thanks for sharing!

Quote:
I only wish I'd have the "marbles" to stretch it out further to say... 15k?

I think 15k is doable. But with this run, you put 8k miles on it in 2 weeks so that helps.

Quote:
I thought for sure with all this highway mileage that I'll be able to go further (thought the TBN would be higher @ 12k)

Although I'm sure the TBN could stay at 1-2 for another couple thousand miles to get me to 14k possibly 15k but I just don't feel comfortable as the TAN is rising and the oil sample smelled bad, to be honest with you.

Go for it!
thumbsup2.gif

Nah. I've got an 850 mile trip to Pensacola and back today and I'll change the oil afterward.

I've got several cases of OE & XL 0w-5w20 that need to be used up. Besides this was the last fill of ALM that i had.

If TAN wasn't getting so high, I'd run the TBN down to 1.0 on Blackstones scale. It's the acid that leaves me uneasy.

This will be the last UOA that I'll do on this engine for a while. I plan to pull the valve cover to adjust the valves this weekend and of course take pics of the insides for you guys. After that, I'll run short intervals of... 8k miles until my stash in depleted. After that, I'll order more ALM and proceed to hit 15k. By then she'll probably be over 200,000 miles.

Quote:
Testing for the TAN only provides useful info if you're talking about ATF, gear lube or hydraulic oil (many synthetics have significant TAN right out of the bottle).
For engine oils it's fine to just look at TBN with the following condemnation limits:

Labs using "ASTM D-4739" method like OAI or AVLube - TBN drops to 1/3* of baseline value...

Blackstone Labs - TBN drops to 1/4* of baseline value....

*Note that this method yields different cutoff values, depending on the initial TBN of the lube. I've found this makes sense, since by the time a 12 TBN oil gets down in the 4.0 range you tend to have a high solids level as well as some acidic components. By contrast if you start out with a 6-8 TBN you can go with a lower cutoff and you don't see any chemical wear effect on softer alloys containing Cu or Pb.

With that said, this oil is still perfectly good IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back