Amsoil 10w-40

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was running the 10W-40 100% synthetic in my 1964 Impala for years, dating back to 1985 when I restored the car and the 283 V8. I ran it for 1 hr at 2000 rpm when it first fired, then ran it for 100 miles and changed it over to synthetic. 17 yrs later, it had never gone down any amount and I only chaged oil every 3 yrs which amounted to approx 5000 miles. I just could not see changing the oil every year and more times than not winter came on before I got anound to it anyway. 2 years ago I replaced the valve cover gaskets because the cork ones had turned brittle and were weeping (looked bad), the inside of the heads where like the day I assembled the engine.

Sold the car last spring thought with about 50,000 miles on it and it was in perfect condition.

[ January 29, 2003, 06:31 PM: Message edited by: Mike ]

Hey, Chris!
smile.gif

Prior to the Amsoil I was using Castrol Actevo 10W-40 (which is "synthetic based", or so they say
wink.gif
)and changing it and the filter every 3K miles. Never had to add any oil, although by the time I hit the 18K mark it was moving down the sight-glass window a little bit.

This may have been due to the fact that 13 of 16 valve shims were changed at my last (also MY 1st, bought it with 12K on it) valve adjustment/carb sinc.
dunno.gif

All I know is that it runs and shifts so smoothly now I have become a true believer!
cheers.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back