O'Reilly 10W-40 High Mileage

My Chevy burns oil (oooh....shocking, I know....) I stopped at my favorite O'Really's today and got a quart of their 10W-40 HM to top it off. It was cheap. Just wondering if it's a decent oil compared to the Valvoline HM I have in it? The Chev uses 1 quart per 1000 miles....it'd be nice to save a few bucks on oil until I build my new engine.

You been doing them 7,500-10k+ oil changes haven't you?

If it's burning a quart per 1000 you might as well run the cheapest oil you can get, Supertech at Walmart is good and cheap. All licensed oil in the USA is decent oil, Valvoline HM seems to have a stronger additive pack compared to other options but it really doesn't matter in your case.

It’s fine oil. But why spend the extra dollar on high mileage oil when it will burn it anyway.
I just got the truck 6 weeks ago....wanted to see if the seal conditioners would help. They have, a little bit. I'm not opposed to using "whatever." I even topped it off with our Delo 400 diesel oil from work one time.

You been doing them 7,500-10k+ oil changes haven't you?

If it's burning a quart per 1000 you might as well run the cheapest oil you can get, Supertech at Walmart is good and cheap. All licensed oil in the USA is decent oil, Valvoline HM seems to have a stronger additive pack compared to other options but it really doesn't matter in your case.
No. Truck is new to me, and I change oil every 3-4K in old skool engines. Used HM after I got it to see if the seal conditioners would help....they have a little bit, but the main oil burning seems to be blow-by. Main question was how good is the O'Really oil compared to the Valvoline HM....I don't know anything about the O'Really oils at all.

If you are adding a quart every 1000 miles, this keeps the oil full and mostly clean. In these circumstances, you will not see a difference between the O'Reilly HM and Valvoline HM.
Also, if the oil is going into an engine scheduled for replacement, how important is the oil quality anyway? Do you know how long will it take you to build the new engine?

Schaeffer's Moly EP helped cut down on the burning in my 5.7l Chevy. Also, have you tried Rislone in it? Maybe that'll help clean up some that it'll seal better. Might clean the seal some so the esters can do their job better on the seals. Just a thought

Any cheap 10/30 or 40 will work just fine you can even extend the oil changes pretty far out since you're adding a QT every 1k. O'Reilly oil a good product would work just fine for your situation

I had a 78 chevy truck with a 305 and it used about a qt every 1500 miles. I used NAPA 15-40 fleet oil which is diesel oil. I drove it a 100,000 miles using that and sold it then with 250K. Never seemed to hurt it. I always used a 2 qt Fram oil filter cause the oil and filter I got from the mechanics at my work. I think it was valve guides as it didn't leak.

Back