Amsoil 0w-40 observation Ram 6.4

I’m about 1500 miles into my first Amsoil AZF 0w-40 run on my Ram 6.4. I use Amsoil products regularly in my other vehicles. Here’s my observation:

It’s noisy: Very audible valve train on startup.

I get very audible lifter tick for a few seconds until they pressurize. It’s happening about 30-40% of every startup.

I tried switching filters from a Fram Ultra back to the OEM Mopar. Still ticks on about 1 out of every 3 starts.

Background: 2021 6.4 has about 20k miles. I’ve previously used PUP and M1 0w-40 oils with either Mopar or Fram Ultras. Never had any lifter noise.

I’m not interested in an inflammatory Amsoil thread. Mods please lock this if that happens. I just want to know what could possibly be causing this. AZF is very high in moly as is PUP. That generally makes for a quiet Hemi. I’m at a loss here.

I question if there is truly any difference or if it's all in your head. Nothing specific about you, I don't know you, but I always question whether or not truly subjective observations like look, sound, and smell are real or all in someone's head. I question whether or not our senses are capable of detecting these differences.

I question if there is truly any difference or if it's all in your head. Nothing specific about you, I don't know you, but I always question whether or not truly subjective observations like look, sound, and smell are real or all in someone's head. I question whether or not our senses are capable of detecting these differences.
Ive experienced the start up lifter tick hes referring to but on my 5.7 hemi. Whether its oil or filter related im not sure. I went from schaeffers 9000 5w20 to m1 0w40 and wix xp to puro boss so i changed both variables and never had the start up tick again

Have you noticed if it does it randomly on startup? What i mean is if you go for a 30 minute drive and shut it off. When you restart it has it ever ticked? I experienced this as well but my ticking incidents were only when i started the engine, pulled foward and shut it off and then restarted later id get a rapid 3-4 ticks then all was well. I switched my oil and filter so who knows which one fixed it

My old ‘07 5.7 Hemi Jeep is quiet on the M-1 I’ve been using since I bought it @ 25,000 miles. Current mileage is 119,600.

I've used a variety of different oils in my 4x 6.4L's (all SRT, not the HD version) and really, I haven't experienced much of a difference between any of them. The only thing I do note is that the MDS rumble was significantly reduced with the HPL 0W-40 I'm using currently. The engine sounds the same otherwise.

Have you noticed if it does it randomly on startup? What i mean is if you go for a 30 minute drive and shut it off. When you restart it has it ever ticked? I experienced this as well but my ticking incidents were only when i started the engine, pulled foward and shut it off and then restarted later id get a rapid 3-4 ticks then all was well. I switched my oil and filter so who knows which one fixed it
Yes, I can make it tick if I do something like this as all Hemis will.

The tick I’m referring to is a cold start in the morning after an overnight or long 8+ hour sit

I’m about 1500 miles into my first Amsoil AZF 0w-40 run on my Ram 6.4. I use Amsoil products regularly in my other vehicles. Here’s my observation:

It’s noisy: Very audible valve train on startup.

I get very audible lifter tick for a few seconds until they pressurize. It’s happening about 30-40% of every startup.

I tried switching filters from a Fram Ultra back to the OEM Mopar. Still ticks on about 1 out of every 3 starts.

Background: 2021 6.4 has about 20k miles. I’ve previously used PUP and M1 0w-40 oils with either Mopar or Fram Ultras. Never had any lifter noise.

I’m not interested in an inflammatory Amsoil thread. Mods please lock this if that happens. I just want to know what could possibly be causing this. AZF is very high in moly as is PUP. That generally makes for a quiet Hemi. I’m at a loss here.
Give Castrol Syntec a try

Definitely not in my head. I could hear the tick from inside the cab windows and doors shut which prompted me to listen outside the next several cold starts

Definitely not in my head. I could hear the tick from inside the cab windows and doors shut which prompted me to listen outside the next several cold starts
It's not whether or not you can hear a tick...more can you really tell there is a difference in sound from some other oil? Did the other oil tick but you weren't listening as closely prior to changing the oil? Is it colder now? Is the oil filter different? It's just hard to believe everything else being equal that two 0W-40 oils that have very very similar cold starting properties are the difference between a mechanical component ticking or not ticking and only 1/3 of the time at that.

Yes, I can make it tick if I do something like this as all Hemis will.

The tick I’m referring to is a cold start in the morning after an overnight or long 8+ hour sit
Ahh okay. Did switching filters change anything at all? Which size filter are you using?

Back