16 RAM 6.4 Hemi-Mobil 1 0w-40 ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 16 RAM 2500 6.4 Hemi that uses 0w-40 oil. While it is under warranty I have used the very hard to source Pennzoil Ultra Platinum that meets a new obscure Chrysler spec.

I can source locally and would like to use Mobil 1 0w-40 Euro formula oil. It is an SN rated oil like PUP.

Any reason not to use the Mobil 1 product? What is this new and obscure to me Chrysler "recomended" spec that PUP and no one else seems to meet?

This is a RAM truck, not an SRT engine.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: smokingun45
I have a 16 RAM 2500 6.4 Hemi that uses 0w-40 oil. While it is under warranty I have used the very hard to source Pennzoil Ultra Platinum that meets a new obscure Chrysler spec.

I can source locally and would like to use Mobil 1 0w-40 Euro formula oil. It is an SN rated oil like PUP.

Any reason not to use the Mobil 1 product? What is this new and obscure to me Chrysler "recomended" spec that PUP and no one else seems to meet?

I am not a big fan of Mobil-1 oils as it usually costs more but receives poorer UOAs than many others. I like Pennzoil products and that is all I use in my vehicles. It is cheaper and with better UOAs, I think it is a better oil myself.

If it is hard to get, which I have heard of, then run the Mobil as I think the Euro formulas are a little more stout than their non Euro formulas. More ZDDP, or at least there use to be.

Originally Posted By: irv
smokingun45 said:

I am not a big fan of Mobil-1 oils as it usually costs more but receives poorer UOAs than many others. I like Pennzoil products and that is all I use in my vehicles. It is cheaper and with better UOAs, I think it is a better oil myself.

If it is hard to get, which I have heard of, then run the Mobil as I think the Euro formulas are a little more stout than their non Euro formulas. More ZDDP, or at least there use to be.

Originally Posted By: Ursatdx
MS-12633 is the oil spec required.
Mobil 1 nor Castrol 0w40 list the spec.

Mopar is owned by Benz, I bet mb oil specs are better than that. I'm sure he would be fine with m1 0/40 or edge 0/40

I've heard that Edge 0w-40 is much better than Mobil1 0w-40. Both Edge 0w-40 and PUP 0w-40 should be easily available at O'Reilly, at least at the store I'm at we stock the Edge 0w-40 but can order the PUP 0w-40 next day, I had a guy with some sort of Challenger that required that.

Last edited:
I see no reason not to, specs are good. Can usually get it at Walmart on sale for $23 a jug. Easier to find than the Pennzoil around me as I have friends with 392 Hemi’s that require it.

Originally Posted By: Bullwinkle007

Mopar is owned by Benz, I bet mb oil specs are better than that. I'm sure he would be fine with m1 0/40 or edge 0/40
You are a little out of date on that.

Originally Posted By: AVB
Originally Posted By: Bullwinkle007

You are a little out of date on that.

That’s ancient history.

I plan to use M1 from Costco in mine, even while under warranty. 6 quarts for $26.99! No brainer.

This website is sponsored by Pennzoil. The Pennzoilbots will swarm in saying it is better than Mobil. But Mobil is the superior product. Test it and you will see.

Originally Posted By: FermeLaPorte
This website is sponsored by Pennzoil. The Pennzoilbots will swarm in saying it is better than Mobil. But Mobil is the superior product. Test it and you will see.

How should he test it to show it is superior?

And before you accuse me along with everyone else, I use M1 in three out of my four cars and Castrol in the 4th.

Originally Posted By: kschachn

And before you accuse me along with everyone else, I use M1 in three out of my four cars and Castrol in the 4th.

Yes I'd love to know how to test it too. I have Pennzoil and Mobil 1 on hand.

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
How should he test it to show it is superior? And before you accuse me along with everyone else, I use M1 in three out of my four cars and Castrol in the 4th.
Make it three of us. I have M1 Euro, Pennzoil Euro, and Castrol Euro in my stash, I know of no good way to discern which is "better".

M1 FS 0w-40 meets several more difficult specs just like Castrol 0w-40. The Euro lubes (and M1 0w-40 was the original SRT service fill until Pennzoil got the contract via the FIAT acquisition) have, on paper, superior physical properties over the SRT 0w-40, including lower Noack. They definitely go through significantly more testing.

I'm running Castrol 0w-40 in my SRT and will be running M1 FS 0w-40 when I'm out of it.

Maybe the old Mobil 1 frying pan 'test' advertisement from 20 years ago ?

Engine Oil – 6.4L

For best performance and maximum protection under all types of operating conditions, the manufacturer only recommends full synthetic engine oils that meet the American Petroleum Institute (API) categories of SN. The manufacturer recommends the use of Pennzoil Ultra 0W-40 or equivalent MOPAR engine oil meeting the requirements of FCA Material Standard MS-12633 for use in all operating temperature
While I am not the brightest light on the string, the cut and paste from an on line owners manual recommends an SN Full Synthetic 0W-40. Am I wrong?

Originally Posted By: 2015_PSD
How should he test it to show it is superior? And before you accuse me along with everyone else, I use M1 in three out of my four cars and Castrol in the 4th.
Make it three of us. I have M1 Euro, Pennzoil Euro, and Castrol Euro in my stash, I know of no good way to discern which is "better".

Sip each one and let us know will ya!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back