16 RAM 6.4 Hemi-Mobil 1 0w-40 ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm going with the API SN rated Mobil 1 Euro Syn 0w-40. Until this RAM 6.4, Ive always used Mobil or Castrol oils in gas engines.

Last edited:
I will let you in on a little know secret with the RAM 6.4. All developmental test by FCA for that engine variant used a conventional 5W-30.

When that engine debuted in late 2013 for the 2014 RAM HD models, both the head of the RAM division and the Chief Engineer for RAM had an informal online video chat session that was posted on RAM Truck Youtube channel not shortly after discussing the new refreshed RAM HD models and taking questions. One of the questions asked to them specifically was if the 0W-40 and MS-12633 oil required? Out of their mouths was a “no” and the statement that all testing was done on the RAM 6.4 engine with conventional 5W-30. That video was on their Youtube Channel for over year and mysteriously disappeared.

That being said and like any owners manual recommendations, you have to weigh to personal risks of not following it. The path of least resistance is to follow the owners manual. I had a 2015 RAM 2500 6.4 and ran the Pennzoil Platinum 0W-40 for 4 oil changes. My last and final oil change before I traded it off, I ran MAG 1 Full Synthetic 5W-30 with an oil analysis from Blackstone that came back showing no negative wear for using.

You will probably be fine using Mobil 1 or any other manufacturer 0W-40 API SN rated product but you will assume that risk if in the rare event an oil related failure occurs or other mechanical issue arise and the questions of what oil you used comes into play. Internet lawyers will tell you that FCA will have to prove your use of a non recommended or Spec’d oil caused the failure, but they will not be standing next to you with financial help if you have to legally fight that battle.

I will say that with quite a few instances of failed Hemi engines for both the 5.7 and 6.4, a common denominator data point was the oil used had levels of molybdenum in their formulas. That is one ingredient in the Pennzoil 0w-40 that stands out is a higher than average molybdenum level.

Anyone know where can I find VOA of PUP 0w-40 and M1 euro 0w-40 to see the differences in moly levels? Is this something to be concerned about?

Are there any commercial products that can be used to increase moly levels without detrimentally affecting the oil?

I've used PUP 0w-40 and Mopar filters in case a warranty issued arised, but after this next change, which I've always done myself, the skinny 50K warranty is up,hence my desire to switch.

Thanks for all the replies and information!

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: smokingun45
Anyone know where can I find VOA of PUP 0w-40 and M1 euro 0w-40 to see the differences in moly levels? Is this something to be concerned about?

Are there any commercial products that can be used to increase moly levels without detrimentally affecting the oil?

I've used PUP 0w-40 and Mopar filters in case a warranty issued arised, but after this next change, which I've always done myself, the skinny 50K warranty is up,hence my desire to switch.

Thanks for all the replies and information!

Why are you concerned about moly levels?

Originally Posted By: 2015_PSD
Originally Posted By: demarpaint
Originally Posted By: kschachn
Originally Posted By: FermeLaPorte
This website is sponsored by Pennzoil. The Pennzoilbots will swarm in saying it is better than Mobil. But Mobil is the superior product. Test it and you will see.
How should he test it to show it is superior? And before you accuse me along with everyone else, I use M1 in three out of my four cars and Castrol in the 4th.
Yes I'd love to know how to test it too. I have Pennzoil and Mobil 1 on hand.
Make it three of us. I have M1 Euro, Pennzoil Euro, and Castrol Euro in my stash, I know of no good way to discern which is "better".
define what you mean by better.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back