Amsoil 0W-30, 14,198 MILES, 1993 Civic

I have been running the dual Filtermags for many years. I was able to get the industrial strength filters due to where I was working at the time.
I have never cut open a filter to see how well they are working, so if anyone wants to give it a go, I will send the next filter to them. Any iron
that can be removed from the oil, will lessen engine polishing (wear) so I recommend magnetic products. (585,000 miles)

585,000 miles
I ran one back when I had a remote filter setup on my 2002 Toyota Tacoma transmission. Did really well. You just convinced me to by some for my vehicles.

ARB1977,
You can't go wrong, I think the motorcycle Filtermags are stronger than the SS model. MC300PR if you want two magnetic arrays
for your oil filter, or you could use just one.

A little Barr's in the cooling system will stop the leak. I have used this stuff for over 45 years it seams, and never once had anything bad happen because of using it, but it has saved me (and others) tons of money sealing up stuff permanently rather than doing the conventional repair. I've added it to all my radiators for dozens of years as a preventive measure and just never have issues.

Last edited:
A little Barr's in the cooling system will stop the leak. I have used this stuff for over 45 years it seams, and never once had anything bad happen because of using it, but it has saved me (and others) tons of money sealing up stuff permanently rather than doing the conventional repair. I've added it to all my radiators for dozens of years as a preventive measure and just never have issues.

I also add Barr's to the cooling system as a preventive measure, never had a problem.

I let my Civic sit for 3 weeks while I drove my 1996 Accord.
The Civic would not start after sitting.
It turned out to be the fuel pump lost it's prime as though I had run out of gas.
It started after a good long while and after many attempts. I was going crazy checking everything, spark, main relay etc
So if you ever have this problem, it could be the fuel pump.

Installed new fuel injectors worked on by Trav, car is running better, mileage is up.
Maybe this will solve the fuel in the oil issue.

hey harry! If you look at my UOA's (for my 96 civic) you'll see the fuel (and flashpoint) lab results around 2017 or 2018, then after that it goes back to normal. That's after I replaced my injectors. It was definitely the injectors leaking into the cylinders! So I think that might be your issue too. Thought I'd jump in and let ya know since our civic generations are very similar. Glad to hear your mpg's are up!

Installed new fuel injectors worked on by Trav, car is running better, mileage is up.
Maybe this will solve the fuel in the oil issue.

Yeah I bet it will help it a lot....

That is awesome you got the new injectors in there.

Hope your area avoids any storms in the next couple of months.

Trav said if an injector goes bad, the other three tend to go rich. He worked his magic on my spare set of injectors that are now installed.
The original injectors are on the way to him for a good warming over.

Amen on the storms, look at those poor people in Louisiana, yikes!

hey harry! If you look at my UOA's (for my 96 civic) you'll see the fuel (and flashpoint) lab results around 2017 or 2018, then after that it goes back to normal. That's after I replaced my injectors. It was definitely the injectors leaking into the cylinders! So I think that might be your issue too. Thought I'd jump in and let ya know since our civic generations are very similar. Glad to hear your mpg's are up!

I see what you mean researcher, this has never happened to me before. The gas in the oil gave the engine a good cleaning out.
Where did you get the new injectors?

I see what you mean researcher, this has never happened to me before. The gas in the oil gave the engine a good cleaning out.
Where did you get the new injectors?

ya sorry I didn't give you a direct link to my uoa's.. was quickly typing earlier. Ya I bet the gas cleaned mine out well too! The injectors I bought were SMP (Standard Motor Products) brand of injectors, new, not re-manufactured (won't ever do that again, would only have Trav fix mine if I needed that). I think they were made at their South Carolina manufacturing plant, I know they're made in usa. I got them from Summit Racing instead of rockauto since Summit was a lower price. Haven't had any trouble with them. I bought SMP because at the time Honda wanted double the price for theirs ($160), and now they've upped their prices even more (Honda is in financial trouble, raised all parts prices in July) I think it's like $260 or so for each injector from Honda! ouch! I took a chance on SMP and have been quite happy with the quality.

I just checked they're about the same price now between rockauto and summit. I just know summit had them drop shipped directly from SMP. And hey if yours are working perfectly, no need to change! Just I knew you would have less fuel dilution in the oil like I did, same issue. I made the mistake of throwing mine out, getting reman then wondering what was wrong with my engine! lol.. Better now that I replaced those junk reman's!

Miles on Civic---588,485
Miles on oil-----6,347
Amsoil AZO 0W-30 oil
Amsoil Ea15K20 oil filter
Twin Filtermag CT3.2 magnetic filters
Dimple magnetic oil drain plug
5 ozs LiquiMoly
67 ozs make-up oil

Blackstone Labs; There's lots to like about this most recent sample! Metals line up nicely with trends and slightly higher copper
is still near enough to universal averages to be unconcerning. Fuel also dropped down to just a trace, which is the smallest
amount we can detect and a common/harmless find. The TBN shows that active additives were not depleted and we were able
to obtain an ISO Cleanliness Code this time. It read 12/11/8, a good bit lower than other samples across the page (15/14/11).
The LiquiMoly additive did not skew our results. This Civic looks great at 588,485 total miles!

Aluminum-------------3---------------4 Universal average
Chromium-------------1---------------1
Iron--------------------14--------------9
Copper-----------------4---------------3
Lead--------------------1---------------2
Tin----------------------0---------------1
Molybdenum-----------280------------90
Nickel-------------------0----------------0
Manganese-------------0----------------0
Silver--------------------0----------------0
Titanium----------------0----------------1
Potassium---------------7----------------4
Boron--------------------58--------------51
Silicon--------------------11--------------11
Sodium-------------------11--------------42
Calcium-------------------1308-----------2103
Magnesium---------------1014------------177
Phosphorus----------------755-------------713
Zinc-----------------------835---------------832
Barium---------------------0-----------------0

SUS Viscosity @ 210 F-------61.1--------------------57-67 (value should be)
cSt Viscosity @ 100 C--------10.53-------------------9.4-12-4
Flashpoint in F----------------385--------------------->385
Fuel %-------------------------TR---------------------- Antifreeze %-------------------0.0----------------------0.0
Water % -----------------------0.0--------------------- Insolubles %--------------------0.3-------------------- TBN-----------------------------3.8--------------------->1.0
TAN-----------------------------Not Done

Particle Counts for ISO Oil Cleanliness Code 12/11/8;
>= 2 Microns-------48 particles
>= 5-----------------17
>= 10-----------------5
>= 15-----------------1
>= 25-----------------0
>= 50-----------------0
>= 100----------------0

Wow! Those new fuel injectors made a big difference.

Good to hear the injectors made a difference!

Almost 2L make up oil though (about the same kind of usage as my highlander). You could go longer on drains with that amount of make up oil. Sump would only be 4-5L capacity?

The 1.5 liter engine takes 3 1/2 quarts with the oil filter. The engine has taken an unusual amount of oil to maintain
a full level this run. It normally uses in the neighborhood of 40 ounces.
I didn't want to run much longer than 6,000 miles because of the last UOA.
The oil was so dirty, Blackstone Labs couldn't do a particle count. This was caused by gas in the oil
cleaning out junk that accumulated over the years.

Yes, more than 2 qts of makeup oil in 6700 miles is going to skew some of the results, particularly TBN. I tend to think you could get equivalent results with a less expensive oil, but Amsoil is of course an excellent oil. My mind goes towards something with a little more viscosity like a high mileage synthetic like an M1 HM 5w30 that is in the 11.5 cst range vs the 10.4 of the AZO.

If you're 100% committed to Amsoil...have you tried the AZF 0w40? 14.8 is a pretty big viscosity jump but then again the motor has a lot of miles.

Brons2,
I suspect that due to the excessive amount of gas found in previous UOAs, the oil seal (piston rings/cylinder wall) was
compromised allowing too much blow-by. The result was double the oil usage and such bad oil contamination that
Blackstone Labs was unable to do the ISO Oil Cleanliness code and Particle Counts.

I like what Amsoil has done for my engine and transmission and have no plans to change. I might be interested in trying the
0W-40 oil and have been thinking about it for years.

The 2 quarts of oil was not added all at once, I had to add 6-10 ounces every thousand miles, which is a bit unusual
and the sump was overfilled at the time of oil change.

I have 590,000 miles on the Civic now, and the oil level is still full. The new fuel injectors are not allowing the piston
seal to wash out, minimizing oil usage.

Back