AMPCO Oiler and Running Lean?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Trav
That depends on the source you used for vacuum, ported or manifold vacuum. You would not want to use manifold vacuum with one of these as manifold vacuum drops off as RPM increases but ported vacuum where the flow at idle would be almost zero but increase with RPM.

The exhaust valve are not in much danger of overheating at idle so any oil drawn in is just going out the pipe and providing little benefit.
To give an opinion as to what happened we would need to know which valves burned and their location in relation to vacuum tapping point.

Getting into ported vacuum would allow relatively even flow to all cylinders.

I followed the instructions included with the new-style Ampco Oiler (not inverse oiler), which result in the device using manifold vacuum. I thought this was sub-optimal going in, but didn't look into it further. I will contact the machine shop this week and find out more details.

Originally Posted By: moving2
I thought this was sub-optimal going in, but didn't look into it further. I will contact the machine shop this week and find out more details.

I can understand that it doesn't seem right to me either. At idle the cylinders temps are lower, that why NOx at idle is normally 0ppm, valve face and seat issues would not be occurring at these lower temps.

Using a device like this would be more beneficial in the higher rpm/temp ranges which is just the opposite of what is happening with manifold vacuum.
I suspect tight exhaust valves were the cause of the problem not a minor vacuum leak the few times this went empty.

Personally i have no use for these devices on engines with induction hardened seats but that anther story and nothing to do with your question.

Originally Posted By: Shannow

Only other question that I had was did you REALLY have burned valves, or were you getting duped ?

Thank you, Shannow. This turned out to be the best advice of all. I was just getting duped.

Only other question that I had was did you REALLY have burned valves, or were you getting duped ?

Thank you, Shannow. This turned out to be the best advice of all. I was just getting duped.

Based on what?

Originally Posted By: The_Eric

Based on what?

1. Called machine shop to inquire about the work. I asked specifically about the new exhaust valves and valve guides. Was put on hold and then told to call back in an hour.

2. Called back in an hour. Machine shop said my mechanic just happened to call them during that time. Machine shop said "I think what we did and what your mechanic told you are two different things, so talk to your mechanic because we don't want to get involved in this".

3. Talked to mechanic, who backtracked and said it wasn't the machine shop who recommended the new exhaust valves and valve guides, it was him. Oh, and the work he claimed had already been done at the machine shop (valves and valve guides) wasn't actually done yet.

Trust, but verify, indeed.
mad.gif

Originally Posted By: The_Eric

Based on what?

1. Called machine shop to inquire about the work. I asked specifically about the new exhaust valves and valve guides. Was put on hold and then told to call back in an hour.

2. Called back in an hour. Machine shop said my mechanic just happened to call them during that time. Machine shop said "I think what we did and what your mechanic told you are two different things, so talk to your mechanic because we don't want to get involved in this".

3. Talked to mechanic, who backtracked and said it wasn't the machine shop who recommended the new exhaust valves and valve guides, it was him. Oh, and the work he claimed had already been done at the machine shop (valves and valve guides) wasn't actually done yet.

Trust, but verify, indeed.
mad.gif

Isn't that interesting.

I've got one of these on my charger and another on my Sierra. The can never gets empty. I'm on top of that. It would draw such little air no way would it cause a lean condition because the o2 sensor in the exhaust would sense it and compensate for a vacuum leak.
And now you find out it's not true.
Interesting indeed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back